Pickup Angle

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by pedecamp, Sep 11, 2020.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Yes indeed.
    They don't always set the necks at the exact same angle on every guitar. That's why the bridge and stop tailpiece height varies between each guitar. How tall the nut and frets are also has to be taken into consideration as well.

2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I felt this would have had to be the case. I once had to give it thought when ESGee gave mention to break angle i think he called it.

My Epi Les Paul was the guitar in question. Also aware that Gib and Epi have different angles for their headstocks. Thinking my memory says Epi is a lesser angle, like a 14 vs 17 or something

3. Kozmyk

Kozmyk New Member

I've thought about this pickup angle business now and then.
    I even tested the sound at the two extremes.
    Little to no difference.
    I was quite surprised.
    I'm sure a more measured test would find some differences but to my ear on my SG any change was imperceptible.
    Model: SG Faded 2017 T WB , the budget one with 490R/490T pickups.

Flaps likes this.
  4. Flaps

Flaps New Member

Mine's an 04. I've often wondered if it made any difference to the sound. Not a big fan of the surrounds though.

5. So73

So73 New Member

I was always bothered aesthetically - regardless of the sound - so I threw some rings on mine... Additionally I reamed the pickup holes on a small angle as well (through the pick guard) as my pickups were not moving no matter what I placed underneath them.

I can't see how the tone isn't changed... the entire row of screws are like 5 mm away from the strings while the backside of the pickup is almost touching the strings. BUT, I DID NOT do an A/B myself and wish not to contend it...

A visual to help you decide...
    rings.jpg