Pickup selector switch cleaning

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by living room rocker, Jul 26, 2021.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Active Member

The bridge pickup of my Epi G400 has been cutting in and out recently. It either cuts out entirely or seems to have diminished volume. A few flips of the selector switch from the bridge to neck position eventually corrects it. I'm figuring it's probably time for a dose of contact cleaner. Can the contact points of this switch be sufficiently reached in the control cavity without removal from the guitar?

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You can spray directly at the base of the lever while activating it. I do this once a year and my 2005 G400 toggle still perform great.

If the problem persist, you'll have to remove three screws from the back plastic plate and remove the switch. About one minute of easy work. Then disassemble said switch (wires still connected) and bend the prongs toward the inside just a tad, so their contact with the ball of the lever base is tighter. Also a very easy job to do. Reassemble, reinstall and enjoy.

Toggle switch.jpg

living room rocker likes this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Good advice here. While you have the switch apart clean the contacting surfaces properly with a cloth and metal cleaner. Don't use abrasives. Also examine them. If it appears that the plating is worn, expect to have to repeat this quite often, and probably replacing the switch will be the real answer.

living room rocker likes this.
  4. living room rocker

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll have at it today and see what happens.

DrBGood likes this.
  5. living room rocker

6. living room rocker

I disassembled the switch as per your directions. Cleaned the contacts with a cloth and contact cleaner, bent the contact arms inward to increase pressure, then reassembled. Seems to be working perfectly.....thanks again for the tips.

DrBGood likes this.