Pickups for SG 310?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Zest1953, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Zest1953

Zest1953 New Member

Hello. New to site and humbucker guitars. I am rebuilding a 2001 Epiphone G-310. I am wondering if anyone has experience with using a Probucker in the bridge and a Alnico Classic Pro in the neck?
    Or ideas about using Alnico Classic Pro’s in neck and Bridge?
    Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!

OK, so pickups... Short answer: "It's complicated".

The "character" and "tone" impacts of a given pickup are 100% dependent on your signal chain and settings. I have never met a humbucker I couldn't get a good sound out of, but the differences between one humbucker and another depended on what amp, pedals, settings, etc. etc. I choose for comparing them. If I take the "same settings" criteria off the table, I can make most anything sound good.

About the only thing that is objective is the output level. A hotter pickup is a hotter pickup, and output level is a big part of the sound when it comes to pushing the preamp and other components into their sweet spot. The main thing I go for now is to have similar output levels from all of my instruments to minimize the amount of fussing I have to do with gain structures etc. to get a good sound when I switch guitars.

So, I would say those pickups are probably "good", but if they are "the ones for you" depends a lot on what you are going to run them through and how you choose to evaluate them. If a lot of people are giving a set of pickups a thumbs up or thumbs down vote, that can tell you a bit about the basic build quality and how it works for them. How well it will work for you will depend on how similar your ideas of what sounds good are, and how similar your set ups are, and whether or not you are using the same or even similar amps and signal chains.

Westernrider and DrBGood like this.
  3. sazista

sazista Active Member

I would go with medium output pickups. I have a Jazz/JB in my G310, plus push/push pots for 'series/parallel' and it sounds great. THOUGH, If I were to do it again, I'd use a less hot bridge pickup and put in a "Pearly Gates". You can get the crunch and gain from your amp/pedals, etc. Make sure you change the pots too.

4. Zest1953

Zest1953 New Member

Thanks for info. I have always played either a bass or a Tele. I have a late 70s vibrochamp 5 watt amp. I love it’s sound. Replaced the old speaker with Jensen Alnico. Don’t use pedals or overdrive much. Mostly rhythm for me. This is my first humbucker guitar and I got it as a husk. So it is a complete rebuild. Want affordable but good pickups. I have Duncan Alnico 2 pickups in my Tele. So just wondering where to start and ran across this site. I like blues, rock and gospel. Played bass for years in church band before Covid.
    Thanks guys!

5. TChalms

TChalms Member

I put Seymour Duncan Jazz Neck and 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge. At the same time, I put in Mad Hatter Guitar Products Terminator push/pull pots and shielded the cavities. I get lots of clarity and a wide range of tones. The Terminator pots switch between 500K for the humbuckers and 250K for the split coils. I'm really liking the tones from the split coils. I know ... how un-SG can you get? But when I crank the humbuckers to 10, I get plenty of growl.

Westernrider likes this.
  6. Zest1953

Zest1953 New Member

Anybody tried Vanson ‘57s or ‘59’s? Watched a YouTube and they sound pretty darn good. Or should I stay with either Probucker or Alnico Classic Pro to keep it all Epiphone?
    Thanks for the advice so far.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Go Nigel Go's post is full of good advice.

If you go for the new Probuckers or Classics you find on Ebay, just be aware they are fakes from China. Epiphone has no designated internet seller of their pickups (info from Epiphone's customer service). They can sound good, or maybe not, it's a crap shoot.

Since you're building a non expensive guitar, I suspect you don't want to spend tons on parts. One good cheap pickup builder is Guitar Madness. They have a reputation to be making great sounding pickups. I've had a set of P94 and was surprised at how close to their Gibson counterparts they sounded.
    https://www.ebay.com/str/guitarmadnessguitarmadness/Humbuckers/_i.html?_storecat=21461841018

Pickup YouTube reviews can be very deceptive if the poster doesn't use the same amp as yours. The pickups are but a small item in a tone chain. A good player will have any pickup ... any pickup ... sound just like his own tone.

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  8. Go Nigel Go

Yup, and not only that, while most youtubers are not trying necessarily to be deceptive, their methodology may look "scientific" but there can be baked in biases towards one product or another.

A classic example of "baked in bias" would be to "test" your stock guitar as it came from the store, then swap pickups and do a proper job of adjusting the height and pole pieces for best results. If the originals had been set up with as much care, they might have sounded just as good.

I would love to buy all of the "junk" that gets taken off by the "mod squad" for scrap value. Nothing wrong modding your guitar, but there are a lot of myths about gear that leads to some really great parts getting binned for no good reason.

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

The truth, finally. Sticky post it. Most youtubers are muppets so forget about them. As for ebay, many rip the stock epis out and replace them with something they perceive as fancier so I believe you can find real ones there if you get them used. Usually for a song and a dance too.

10. Von Trapp

I used to do that when I was even more stupid than I am today so send me a pic of a naked lady and you can have it all for free.

11. DrBGood

Courtesy of Mr. Hendrix.

JIMI-HENDRIX-EXPERIENCE-Electric-Ladyland-large.jpg

12. Von Trapp

Hahaha! But imagine having a cover like that today.. The one on the right is like "Is this really necessary?"

13. Go Nigel Go

As long as you are smarter today than you were yesterday, you are moving in the right direction! :D I have certainly learned a lot in all my years of playing musical instruments, much of it by making mistakes. If I had another 50 years on this planet, I might even be a musical genius one day!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  14. DrBGood

I'm waiting for that box of pickups and such :rofl:

15. Zest1953

Zest1953 New Member

Haha! Love it! Thanks for the good advice and great humor!

16. Von Trapp

I'm too old to consider "posting on the internet" as "sending me" but just send me the record and we're good. Considering the shipping from and to Canada though I think we'd both be doing a sucker deal.

Don't know why but this made me remember one of my first internet loves. In the nineties I stumbled upon Ed Roman Guitars. Even back then his page came across as more than slightly overdone with links and text and pics to the degree that it made you dizzy. Lots of bragging and bold statements and after Altavistaing it I drowned in forum posts and feedback with stories about what an absolute fantasist and @sshole he was. I could read it for hours. But, what first caught my attention were the pics. Almost every guitar was pictured with an 80's looking, provocatively posed and dressed lady, most likely some employees girlfriend who'd been pressured into it. The only things that outdid the chic were the outrageously ugly guitars. They're all gone now and he's dead but the website and company still exists and still looks like 90's shite. Unfortunately I only saved one pic. Enjoy.

aaaaa.jpg

Edit: ok, a quick check shows that unfortunatly the provocative chick are gone but the site is still tons of fun http://romanguitars.com/v/abstract-enterprize/P496

Sh!t, I'll get stuck there now....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  17. DrBGood

:h5:

GVhellion01.jpg

That guy was productive and had some imagination ... to say the least.

18. Von Trapp

Sh!t, you found one of the pics?! I'm in awe. I figure if you have to pose the guitar with a semi nude chick then it's probably butt ugly and crap...

DrBGood likes this.