Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Thor Oliversen, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG! :smile:

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I wish I knew about this years ago, the stock pickups in my faded SG the bridge was too bright and the neck was too muddy, I could have easily remedied this without a pickup change.

3. 12ay7a

12ay7a Member

If you want the best pickups, be the guitar a SG, Tele, Strat, Les Paul, whatever, P90s, you name it, Ron Ellis is the man you want. Very expensive. You will wait for them. But they are worth the money and the wait. they are simply without peer. contact Ron at [email protected] You will not be sorry.

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

+1 on changing the wiring harness first... that seems to make a big difference
    in some instruments, but not all.
    or if you want excellence without the ridiculous price tag, check out Rose Pickups:
    http://www.rosepickups.com

I just bought a set of their P-90s to install in my Epiphone ES-339 P-90 Pro, and they sound
    great to my ear, and they didn't cost too much, and I only waited about three weeks. So I was happy.

I have Gibson '57 Classic and Classic + pickups in my favorite SG, and I swear by them too.

5. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

57's -the right guitar and amp = magic. Just not usually for me. The 57's are the closest thing that Gibson now makes that were similar to the great jazz guitar pickups like those found in the ES-175.

But alas, I grew up in a different world and here are the results of my earlier experiences in life as noted by my pickup choices.

Here is the herd.

Firebrand SG:

SD Jazz and 59/Custom Hybrid
    Jazz pickup is not a jazz pickup! It is best described as smooth.
    The 59/Custom has the best of the 59's and the ceramic Custom - dynamics, good but not overpowering mids, and some strength.

SG Standard:
    SD Whole Lotta Humbucker Set
    My all time favorite LP / SG set.

SG Standard:
    DMZ 36 Anniversary Set
    Push em and they have more mids and character than the SD Jazz pickups.

Evil Pony:
    DMZPAF Master Set DP 260 / 261
    Finally I got really bored with the stock pickups and they went out the window. Replaced them with newer DMZ's. The bridge has an A4 and the neck has an A5 magnet. These are bright and very dynamic pickups. The guitar has a new wiring harness with 500K pots. They are bright and vey dynamic. Best thing about these pickups is that they sound great when turning down the tone and volume controls.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    syscokid and Raiyn like this.
  6. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

I'm sure he makes nice pickup. You do know that it's a bobbin, coil of wire and one or two magnets, right?

We've been taking apart and studying the best-sounding pickups for pickups for about 45 years now. Larry DiMarzio started the market in the early 70s.

I could reel off the name of 35 makers of great pickups, right off the top of my head. If you think there's any "magic" there, you're being conned.

I've had pickups by Gibson, Fender, Peter Florance (VooDoo), John Suhr, StewMac, Tom Holmes, Seymour Duncan, Chris Klein, Larry DiMarzio (one of the earliest Super Distortions went into my 1972 Tele) and probably a few more I can't remember right now.

They all had their characteristics, plusses and minuses. No dogs in the bunch.

I no longer pay more than $130 for a pickup (less is better). I'll wait a couple of weeks for a small shop to wind for me, I don't go on waiting lists. Nobody complains about my tone.

My attitude is another story!!

P.

Raiyn likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'd been looking at those, but I think I'm going to try something else first. Largely because I don't want to butcher a $250 set of pickups on a first swap. The other reason is that I'd like to try something different that not a lot of people have thought of. Just to answer the question I know someone will ask, I'm intending on Triple Shot rings so cutting the leads down short is part and parcel.

It's nice to have someone with your perspective on the board, keeps things real.

8. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Right now, my best guitar has a StewMac $60 pickup in the back. It is freakin' awesome!!

P.

Raiyn likes this.
  9. Mats Sandnes

Mats Sandnes New Member

Does the stock Gibson Maestro Vibrola drop right on the Derek Trucks signature?

I own a DT myself, and I’ve always wanted to install an actual Vibrola. But the existing screw holes from the DT Lyre tail piece must line up with the actual Vibrola, because I’m not keen to make new holes for the Vibrola.

10. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

If that's because you want to be able to convert it back in case you sell it then forget about it. Even if the screw holes line up the Vibrola will leave marks. Under the flange, even if it has the felt under it, and from the parts that cover the paint. So be a man and just put it there anyway. Resale value is for pussies and a useless Vibrola is just stupid.