Pics of my Epiphone SG 1966 Re-issue (Epiphone Custom shop)

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by gnolivos, Mar 22, 2009.

1. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

This is the guitar that gets the most playtime from me. It is probably the nicest/best Epiphone SG on the market. I like the looks, the full pickguard, the inlays, and the color/finish. And it does sound and feel great. The neck is like GLASS, I swear I have never felt a neck like this before.

[​IMG]

More pics:
    Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4

2. AznSGPlayer

AznSGPlayer Member

wow very nice guitar. I have a g-400 in white and I'm thinking about getting a full pickguard

3. crippe

crippe Member

That looks like a nice guitar, congrats. If Epi start putting neck binding on them I'd get one fast.

4. Maxer

Maxer Member

Me too... especially considering that colour and the block inlay just screams classic SG.

But maybe they don't want to go that route because it would make an Epi G400 way too similar to an SG standard. I'm sure Gibson wants to keep fairly clear visual separation between the lower and upper product lines.

5. AznSGPlayer

AznSGPlayer Member

is it possible to get the neck bound after purchase? say.. by a luthier?

6. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

[quote author=Maxer link=topic=18964.msg230661#msg230661 date=1237818129]
    Me too... especially considering that colour and the block inlay just screams classic SG.

But maybe they don't want to go that route because it would make an Epi G400 way too similar to an SG standard. I'm sure Gibson wants to keep fairly clear visual separation between the lower and upper product lines.
    [/quote]

Sorry, but binding a G400's neck would not bring it anywhere near an SG Standard. Besides, Epi does bind G400s necks, but with wood. If they're going to go through that trouble, why not use plastic? I don't understand.

And sorry to be the bearer of bad news gnolivos, but there's nothing "Custom" about the '66 G400 It's just a G400 with a large PG slapped on.

AznSGPlayer: It is possible, but not worth the money a luthier would want, especially on a $400 guitar.

Sorry if I sound like an Epiphone hater (I'm not, I own four, including a '66 G400), I'm just trying to dispel some of the BS Epi tries to push.

7. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

Suicidehummer:First of all, it does say Epi Custom Shop, so that's whay I call it that. Not sure if you're just trying make me feel bad, but frankly I don't care. :roll:

Now, I've been trying to buy a decent Gibson SG Standard for the past 4 months. I have gone through 3 already, and returned each one... and although clearly a better 'wood' on the Gibson guitar (more natural resonance), none of them has come close to the Epi in playability and overall quality/finish. Unbelievable? I thought so too. But what can I say...

I have a 4th Gibson SG Standard on the way now, this time not a new one, but rather a used 2004 Gibby. If you go through some of my posts you'll find out about some of the issues I've had with the real Gibsons. In my book, it is Gibson that is pushing most of the BS on consumers... extremely high prices for nice guitars that lack in quality, build, and features. -- at least as of late...

I'm not an Epi lover. ;)

8. Rendus

Rendus Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=18964.msg230675#msg230675 date=1237851963]
    but there's nothing "Custom" about the '66 G400 It's just a G400 with a large PG slapped on.
    [/quote]

A full pickguard, true Heritage Cherry finish.
    and this on the back of the headstock

[​IMG]

9. Maxer

Maxer Member

Hey, suicidehummer, I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. I just got my hands on a lightly used G400 Vintage from 2004. It's a single slab of mahogany, it's got really nice binding and it's got Grover tuners. Where it falls down next to a Gibby SG standard would have to be in the pups, and that's it. That's pretty darned close, especially considering the price differential. I'm not one to take so-called "Epi BS" at face value - no more so than I would the advertising hype of any guitar maker. But I do appreciate a good deal when I see one.

The Vintage G400 line is defunct now, but if they did it once, they can do it again. I'm betting they won't however, for much the same reasons I've cited before - product line separation.

10. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

Right, thank you. And all for virtually the same price of a regular G400. So no BS here from Epi... just a nice looking guitar for us, and not a whole lot more dough for Epi. Frankly I wish they gave the Gibson "Customs" the same treatment! LOL

[quote author=Rendus link=topic=18964.msg230685#msg230685 date=1237854358]
    A full pickguard, true Heritage Cherry finish.
    and this on the back of the headstock

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

11. suicidehummer

[quote author=Maxer link=topic=18964.msg230687#msg230687 date=1237854458]
    Hey, suicidehummer, I respectfully disagree with your disagreement. I just got my hands on a lightly used G400 Vintage from 2004. It's a single slab of mahogany, it's got really nice binding and it's got Grover tuners. Where it falls down next to a Gibby SG standard would have to be in the pups, and that's it. That's pretty darned close, especially considering the price differential. I'm not one to take so-called "Epi BS" at face value - no more so than I would the advertising hype of any guitar maker. But I do appreciate a good deal when I see one.

The Vintage G400 line is defunct now, but if they did it once, they can do it again. I'm betting they won't however, for much the same reasons I've cited before - product line separation.
    [/quote]

I'm surprised you found a G400 made from a single piece. Yet still, Epiphone uses Philippine and Indonesian mahogany, which has no relation to real Honduran Mahogany aside from namesake. Most newer G400s are made from three pieces of Philippine or Indonesian Mahogany and have an African Mahogany veneer on front and back. That's what mine is, and most likely, gnolivos'.

Yours, being older and most likely Korean-made, could have escaped the cost cutting measures of the current Chinese Epiphones. Your "Grovers" aren't REAL Grovers. Like all Epiphones, they're "Licensed" Grovers, made by some Korean or Chinese factory. However I'm not saying they're bad; mine worked well.

Many senior members of the Official Epiphone Forums (including me) were banned for undermining some of Epiphone's hype and BS, so I guess there's still some hard feelings there. Sorry if I came off as a know-it-all jerk (I can do that sometimes :roll:), but I hate to see people believing Epi's every word.

[quote author=gnolivos link=topic=18964.msg230688#msg230688 date=1237854773]
    Right, thank you. And all for virtually the same price of a regular G400. So no BS here from Epi... just a nice looking guitar for us, and not a whole lot more dough for Epi. Frankly I wish they gave the Gibson "Customs" the same treatment! LOL

[/quote]

I'd also like to add that it's not a "True" HC finish, because Heritage Cherry is supposed to mimic the way red SGs orange as they age. If anything, a lighter, orangier finish would be Heritage Cherry, not a darker red, like the one used on the '66 G400.

Also, Epi was pretty lazy in making this model because they neglected to change the heel to the later style.

12. Rendus

Rendus Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=18964.msg230694#msg230694 date=1237857756]

Many senior members of the Official Epiphone Forums (including me) were banned for undermining some of Epiphone's hype and BS, so I guess there's still some hard feelings there. Sorry if I came off as a know-it-all jerk (I can do that sometimes :roll:),[/quote]

Imagine that!

13. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

Uhum... ermm... OK, so moving on fellows, just posted to show how nice the Epi is. If anyone else feels like bashing Epi, START YOUR OWN THREAD! LOL

14. suicidehummer

[quote author=gnolivos link=topic=18964.msg230682#msg230682 date=1237853722]
    Suicidehummer:First of all, it does say Epi Custom Shop, so that's whay I call it that. Not sure if you're just trying make me feel bad, but frankly I don't care. :roll:

Now, I've been trying to buy a decent Gibson SG Standard for the past 4 months. I have gone through 3 already, and returned each one... and although clearly a better 'wood' on the Gibson guitar (more natural resonance), none of them has come close to the Epi in playability and overall quality/finish. Unbelievable? I thought so too. But what can I say...

I have a 4th Gibson SG Standard on the way now, this time not a new one, but rather a used 2004 Gibby. If you go through some of my posts you'll find out about some of the issues I've had with the real Gibsons. In my book, it is Gibson that is pushing most of the BS on consumers... extremely high prices for nice guitars that lack in quality, build, and features. -- at least as of late...

I'm not an Epi lover. ;)
    [/quote]

Didn't see this post before.

Well there is no Epiphone Custom shop. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I'm trying to help you learn a little about your guitar. I had to learn the same thing after I bought mine.

I'm just pissed at Epi after finding out that my three "Mahogany" Epis are actually made of imitation mahogany, and in one case, particle board.

[quote author=gnolivos link=topic=18964.msg230697#msg230697 date=1237858297]
    Uhum... ermm... OK, so moving on fellows, just posted to show how nice the Epi is. If anyone else feels like baching Epi, START YOUR OWN THREAD! LOL
    [/quote]

I'm not really dissing Epi. I have four, and I do like them. I just felt you might want to know the truth about yours. Sorry if you didn't want to hear it.

15. Maxer

Maxer Member

I'm surprised you found a G400 made from a single piece. Yet still, Epiphone uses Philippine and Indonesian mahogany, which has no relation to real Honduran Mahogany aside from namesake. Most newer G400s are made from three pieces of Philippine or Indonesian Mahogany and have an African Mahogany veneer on front and back. That's what mine is, and most likely, gnolivos'.

Yours, being older and most likely Korean-made, could have escaped the cost cutting measures of the current Chinese Epiphones. Your "Grovers" aren't REAL Grovers. Like all Epiphones, they're "Licensed" Grovers, made by some Korean or Chinese factory. However I'm not saying they're bad; mine worked well.

Many senior members of the Official Epiphone Forums (including me) were banned for undermining some of Epiphone's hype and BS, so I guess there's still some hard feelings there. Sorry if I came off as a know-it-all jerk (I can do that sometimes ), but I hate to see people believing Epi's every word.

I've just arrived here, but see my post here for perspective on the guitar I have and why I made the statement I did. You'll see I acknowledge that the woods are indeed different, and in fact I'm still curious as to what the wood really is, rather than that annoyingly generic "mahogany" designation. As to the tuners, they look exactly like my Grovers on several different guitars... I have them on a set of Washburn WG-780s, which are also MIK guitars, and they also look identical to authentic Grover Rotomatics I bought at a local guitar shop to upgrade my other G400. Do Grover-licensed tuners bear stamps indicating as such, much like there are true FR bridges and then there are ones stamped "Licensed by Floyd Rose?"

Anyway, some of the user reviews on Harmony Central (yeah, I know, read 'em with a healthy dose of skepticism) say that the introductory year of the Vintage G400 line were indeed a cut above... binding, single slab, and Grovers. I dunno, you tell me. I'm content knowing it's a great guitar for the money I paid.

Hey, it's all good. I'm glad to be here and my feathers aren't that easily ruffled. Take 'er easy, suicidehummer.

16. suicidehummer

[quote author=Maxer link=topic=18964.msg230700#msg230700 date=1237859447]
    I've just arrived here, but see my post here for perspective on the guitar I have and why I made the statement I did. You'll see I acknowledge that the woods are indeed different, and in fact I'm still curious as to what the wood really is, rather than that annoyingly generic "mahogany" designation. As to the tuners, they look exactly like my Grovers on several different guitars... I have them on a set of Washburn WG-780s, which are also MIK guitars, and they also look identical to authentic Grover Rotomatics I bought at a local guitar shop to upgrade my other G400. Do Grover-licensed tuners bear stamps indicating as such, much like there are true FR bridges and then there are ones stamped "Licensed by Floyd Rose?"

Anyway, some of the user reviews on Harmony Central (yeah, I know, read 'em with a healthy dose of skepticism) say that the introductory year of the Vintage G400 line were indeed a cut above... binding, single slab, and Grovers. I dunno, you tell me. I'm content knowing it's a great guitar for the money I paid.

Hey, it's all good. I'm glad to be here and my feathers aren't that easily ruffled. Take 'er easy, suicidehummer.

[/quote]

Hi Maxer. The wood is either Indonesian or Philippine Mahogany. They're referred to industrially as Mahogany despite not actually being a part of the Mahogany family. That's why Epiphone can get away with calling these guitars Mahogany.

The Grovers shouldn't look any different from real ones, the only difference would be that they were produced in Asia, but to the same specs. They do not bear any stamps claiming they're licensed, but I'd have a hard time believing Epiphone actually uses Grovers made in the US. Just about any claim Epiphone makes is worded very carefully so as to avoid being caught in their mischievous behavior.

All Epiphone G400s have used "Grovers" for quite some time now, so I'd doubt yours are any better than the new ones.

Either way though, you still have a single slab, binding, and Korean build quality over the new G400s. It looks like a great guitar, and I'd take it any day over the new Chinese G400s.

17. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

umm... or Korean....

18. Maxer

Maxer Member

Thanks for the clarification, suicidehummer.

19. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

They had a Epi Elite SG a few years ago. Made in Japan. I think it was actually better then a Gibson standard. Better fit and finish. Decent price. I wish i was smart enough back then to have bought one, instead of my fadded.

You can get binding put on the neck, but it's quite intensive. Really binding just looks nice. If your planing on having a guitar you want to play the heck out of, it's 10x better not to have it. Binding just gets in the way of refrets, and in the end costs you more.

So id just enjoy your sweet guitar as it is

20. AznSGPlayer

AznSGPlayer Member

yeah, you're right, i really like the looks of binding but it's not worth the trouble. I kind of wish guitar production and what not could go back a decade or so at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm right but were guitars back then better built and whatnot? I definitely wouldn't mind an sg-x ;D