Planning my next purchase... Which SG would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Mat Arroano, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Mat Arroano

Mat Arroano New Member

Hi guys! 1st post. Greetings to all forum members!

So, I have been a "Fender-guy" all my life, but I really really want to to get an SG as my next purchase...

Which would be a very very nice one for me to get? I'm guessing, I can aim at getting the model that's one or two steps "above", overall quality-wise, from the "Standard".

Nothing too fancy, vintage spec'ed, or crazy-expensive. So, no need for a "Custom/Premium SG", I really can't really afford.

Just a "regular SG" that's worthy of leaving to your kids and that will keep its value... Keeping the value is really important. Also, it MUST be available in CREAM color.

Let me know which are my options. Any and all thoughts welcomed!

REMEMBER! IT SHOULD BE CREAM.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Daniel

Trey likes this.
  2. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I'd say based on what you are saying... a 61 re-issue might be the ticket. If it were me and I was focused on something holding value to pass on to my kids... I'd be a vintage SG. You could get a good vintage SG in the 2k range and as long as you don't overpay... will hold value and might just go up in value.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

A used white SG Standard that has faded to a cream color.
    That would be a "regular" SG.

See below for difference between '61 RI and Standard.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

I say +1 on that... if you want an instrument to hold its value,
    buy a used one. I own 11 guitars and basses, and only
    four of those were bought new. Buying a new guitar is like
    buying a new car. As soon as you leave the dealer's premises, it's worth just over half what you paid.

So if you bought a used SG '61 ReIssue that was made in the
    last ten years, you'd pay maybe $800 to $1000... and that value would not diminish unless you modified the guitar by adding aftermarket pickups or whatnot. The '61 Re-issue is one of the best guitars ever made IMHO.

You also would not go wrong getting a used SG Standard from any year
    that felt great to your hands, and sounded great to your soul. Those are
    plentiful in many colors.

Used guitars in good condition can be taken to a pro luthier and set up to play perfectly, they can be cleaned of the residues of previous owners and made your own. Most of my best music has been played and recorded using previously owned instruments that I have made mine. So I am living proof of this concept.

Oh and about the color... the color is not important.
    You might think that it is, but what is really crucial is the tone and the feel of the instrument. If you believe that you need a cream colored instrument for reasons of your own, I believe that a black one will do just as well. (both are neutral colors).

My suggestion to any prospective buyer of a Gibson SG is this: GO WHERE THEY SELL THEM, AND PLAY AS MANY
    AS THEY'LL LET YOU. ...buy the one that comes alive in your hands, no matter what model or color or year class it is. Once you experience this, you'll know what I mean.

If none rings bells for you at that place, keep your master card in your wallet and try other places. Make it a road trip, make it a quest. Turn it into something fun, take your lady along and treat her right while you do. Turn it into a trip that she'll remember fondly as well as you.

That's the way to buy an SG.... especially for someone who's used to Fender guitars. Fender guitars have their own mojo and tone and feel. I know this well, being a Fender bass guy since 1972. My Tele holds an honored place in my music. I know nothing about Strats, but understand the mojo, I believe.

Gibson and Fender are different, and never the twain shall meet, but we are all richer because of this. There's a place in the world for all types of guitars, and all types of music.
    It's our job as performers to do the best we can with what we've got. ...and if possible, to get more and use that.
    *grins ...Hence, your quest.

My suggestion is to set aside your preconceived notions of what your new guitar has to be, and open yourself to the tone and the feel of your next guitar. It's out there somewhere, your quest is to find it.
    ...and to have some fun doing that.
    Luna:motion@100.jpg

5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

oh yeah... and after you've had the fun of finding and
    purchasing your dream Gibson, you are requested and required to return and report... illustrating your reconnaissance with lots of pictures.

Our motto here at ETSG:
    PICTURES, OR IT
    NEVER HAPPENED.
    Luna 1@100.jpg

6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

As a general rule, yes, I totally agree...

But don't ever let that general rule stop you looking at what is available new; these days there are frequent bargains to be had with new guitars available for less than their 2nd hand values - I know, I've bought a few. In January I sold two Gibsons I'd bought new within the last year, One sold for £100 more than I'd paid, the other for £120 more. In fact, the only used guitar I've recently bought was an SG Diablo: I paid £1000, the previous owner had bought it at clearance for about £950, and I sold it for £1,250. Just a week ago I picked up a Yamaha SG1802 for £1,450 instead of £2,559. The deals are out there - don't miss them by burying your head in Ebay, Reverb, etc... :)

I can understand why you're determined to get a cream SG. My first SG HAD to be white (and with a Bigsby too). White & cream are not common on SGs right now. Cream was a common colour on the SG Custom, so if you're looking for a used instrument a step above the Standard, you should find a custom fits your needs - however they're typically 3 pup models, and not everyone likes having that middle pup where their pick goes... BTW, Customs haven't been part of the Gibson USA range for a while.

Despite the name, 'Standards' are actually near the top of the SG range, with Specials and various budget models below them, price-wise. Occasional model come in above, such as Diablos, Deluxes, and of course you've got Custom Shop models too. If you're looking for a cream Standard, 2013 was the last year that colour was a regular option (classic white), with Alpine white in 2014 (less 'creamy'). I believe there was a run of classic white Standards with gold parts for a US dealer this year - someone else might be able to tell you who was selling them.

flognoth likes this.
  7. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

You can also just buy any SG you like and refinish it the colour you want. ;) A few months ago I saw a Firebrand on eBay with a custom finish that reminded me of the Mystery Van from Scooby Doo.

[​IMG]

8. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I have owned probably 15 SG's over the years, all kinds from Fadeds, and SG1, a few Specials and a few Standards (and 1 or 2 Epi's). I generally always come back to the Standards....overall I think they are the best.

9. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

Pete Townsend Screenshot_2017-04-22-22-01-55-1.png

Dave_Death likes this.
  10. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

+1 on the Townsend idea

11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get so hung up on the color. The 2017 models are super nice looking.

12. Tonerider

Tonerider Active Member

Search a Cream SG Standard, they were made in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Not easy to find , awesome Gibson SG

[​IMG]

cerebral gasket and lcw like this.
  13. lcw

lcw Active Member

Very nice!