playing in a band

Discussion in 'General Music' started by chuck, Jan 7, 2007.

1. chuck

chuck Member

just how dramasticly does it improve your playing, obviously things like having to learn a whole song instead of just the bit you like. but beyond that...

2. jetlag

jetlag Member

Well I have seen my playing improve in a few months, I think playing with the band improves your timing, and when jamming, you have to come up with things on the spot and and pushes your technique.
    I also found that because I'm trying to make sure I don't look stupid in practice, I practice more theory and scales in the house, to have more knowledge whilst practising. :)

3. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

depends on how much drinking you do

and the material

my playing gets tighter because as mentioned, there is a degree of competition to not be the one screwing up. fortunately for me, the chemistry and attitude of our band is fantastic and no one gets uptight when mistakes happen. well unless it becomes a total train wreck :D

usually its quite enjoyable and hours go by in what seems like minutes

4. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Playing in a band, especially live in front of people improves you better than anything else. Aside from timing and execution, you will find there is no room for error, and you will benefit greatly. :)

5. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

its much better to be communicating with other intruments, and feeding off each other, than sitting at home playing by yourself, or jamming to cd's...i think its best to learn to socialize with your axe...ive met people who can play all kinds of stuff, name a song and they will sit and play it...but get them in a room with other guitarists, they cant play or jam, or improvise...

6. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

I can jam with my stereo until I have some songs nailed airtight.

Get onstage and realize there's so much more going on when it's live and dynamic.
    The other guys know the songs WAY BETTER than I do, but it's not so simple to just play along. I've heard the cd a million times, every single time on stage it's a new song.

:-)
    Neo

7. stoplying

stoplying Member

Being part of a band is a great thing, if you're all on the same page. If you all agree that you're in it to pursue a deal, or if you just want to have fun playing at bars and clubs.
    Each member develops their "place" in the band. For instance, when I play with my band, I tend to be the leader. Not saying that I'm great at all, but I recognized early on that the band needed someone to start the songs off, and to stop them when we make mistakes that need fixing, and to just motivate in general.
    Plus the original material we play was written by me, so I feel a certain dedication to getting it right.
    We actually just played an unexpected show this past Friday, (booked on thursday afternoon) and had a pretty good set. Our practice was better the night before, but the live jitters get to you no matter what! ;) We debuted some new songs, and got some really great feedback from the audience afterwards. That's what it's all about for me. Me writing, and people liking what I write, and the good friends that play in the band with me that make it all happen. 8)

8. 74 Jailbreak

74 Jailbreak Member

Also; playing a guitar with a band sounds better than you ever could just sitting around with your amp. It gives you confidence. Play some crowd favorites, some good ol' stuff, and you will find that guitar will not only be easier, but more fun!

9. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

its a whole lotta fun that's for sure. But its good for you too becasue in a way, ittle humble your arse ;D
    but if you do i'd recommend earplugs. Its alot easier to play if you use them. and you wont mess up your hearing as bad.

10. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

Mess up our what? I'm sorry, I'm still a bit dazed from that gig I played last night...

11. jetlag

jetlag Member

I'm a bit spun out by the fact that the other 2 in my band have just told me we're playing a gig next wednesday. We don't even have 2 songs finished yet. We've got about 5 nearly done, but no way we'll get them all down in a week. We haven't even had practice for about 3 weeks either. Deary me. No chance in hell :/

12. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

[quote author=jetlag link=topic=11907.msg155377#msg155377 date=1168380727]
    I'm a bit spun out by the fact that the other 2 in my band have just told me we're playing a gig next wednesday. We don't even have 2 songs finished yet. We've got about 5 nearly done, but no way we'll get them all down in a week. We haven't even had practice for about 3 weeks either. Deary me. No chance in hell :/
    [/quote]doh! i feel for ya..nothing like surprise last minute..our drummer just broke his leg moshing :roll:, and is out for like 6 weeks at least..we played a show the other night with a fill in drummer, with only 5 hours practice, 4 hours of which were without even hearing our cd :oops:...it went very good luckily..sometimes the heat of the moment can do magic :coolsmiley:

13. stoplying

stoplying Member

Yeah last Thursday around 3 PM my cell rings and it's the promoter from this bar that we've played at. In the past I told him to call me if he needs a band to fill in at the last minute. Well, he needed a band for Friday night - the next night. So we took the gig, we were all very relaxed and it was okay. He was so psyched that we filled in that he gave me my pick of the calendar to book our next gig, :) which is Feb 10. HEY-O!

14. notregme

notregme Member

I haven't been in a band for a 10 years or so but I use to play four night a week on average, and Ive yet to play the same song the same way live.lol.that said I'm slowly getting back into it.but as a one man band thing .I play the mandolin as well as guitar.most one man bands use acoustic guitars not me I use the electric but it has to be played a different way to make it flow.now when you have a band there you can cut lose on the slolos .but as a one man band you have to make everything flow so theres no holes in the song.I feel naked without a band but I thing playing live is what improves your playing the most.that said Ive been hitting the jam night lately .its a good way to get use to many things like crappy sound out of wacko guitars unless you use your own,which I do mostly and ofcoure the unpredictable stuff .and nerves even my self I get the nervousness sometimes.I'm OK when I'm up there but waiting to go up I get a little gittry.And I not sure of the exact count but Ive played well over 200 + show and its the same rush each time.But getting use the a jam night is good for your playing .and If you bomb you only have to be up there for three or four song and not three hours.lol.

A jam night is like a blind date you don't know what to expect till you get there.lol ;D

15. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

playing in a band is great fun. I have a bit of a jam band going on, where I play bass, together with MauritsP, another guitarist and a drummer and we have lots of fun, we've had two gigs so far, which MauritsP both managed to miss somehow... the best part was that the organisers of the events we played had asked us to come, and the crowds were good too.

but here's a number one tip: don't drink too much during a jam and get good earplugs because hearing loss is something that you cannot recover and is lost easily.

16. Wags

Wags New Member

if you have a way of recording yourself playing, do that.....then sit back and really listen to yourself....critique yourself.....that's what my son does.

17. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

yeah. recording yourself really shows you how much Time must be put into professional records... unless your black sabbath. they recorded Paranoid in 2 days.

18. jetlag

jetlag Member

Biffy Clyro recorded their 2nd album in one day.

S'fact.

19. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

That's how it goes playin' in a band... I tell ya folks, it's harder than it looks.

20. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

[quote author=Wags link=topic=11907.msg156507#msg156507 date=1168732898]
    if you have a way of recording yourself playing, do that.....then sit back and really listen to yourself....critique yourself.....that's what my son does.
    [/quote]

Hard fact of life. Tape doesn't lie. It gives you everything, good or bad. We usually have a little portable tape recorder going during practice, especially when working out new material. It's one of the best ways to see where songs are going, and what needs to be worked on. You can also see how many times the bass player says, "hey can I bum another beer?".