Possible "ground" issue with SG Std. '61

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Joe N, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Joe N

Joe N New Member

First - HAPPY HOLIDAYS to ALL

I have a Gibson SG Std. '61 2019, about 2 months old, I am noticing that when I touch any metal part (strings, bridge etc.) there is a click or pop coming from the speaker, not very loud but definitely audible, most likely been doing this all along, just starting to notice it more now.

Playing through a Marshall DSL 1w Tube amp head with a Marshall 112R Speaker Cab. and using a George Lewis 15' instrument cable.

When I play my Telecaster using the exact same setup there is absolutely NO popping or clicking sound.

I have not contacted Sweetwater (place of purchase) yet, I would like to hear from Forum members as to what their thoughts are regarding this matter first.

Thanks in advance

Joe

2. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

Doesn't sound like a ground issue, that's usually a constant hum / buzz. Sounds more like a short in one of the "hot" connections. Maybe a miswired tone pot or a solder bridge?

Does it happen with both pickups or just one?

If you are into working on your own guitar, you could probably locate the problem easy enough with the help of a multimeter but since it's under warranty it may be easier to send it back for replacement.

Let us know if you figure it out! :D

3. Joe N

Joe N New Member

Here's an update, just took out the SG to refresh my memory as to what is happening, there is a constant hum once I turn up the vol. knobs and the hum goes away when I touch the strings - I still hear the pop /click when touching any metal parts, however this hum only appears with the toggle set to the "treble" position

I wouldn't have a problem taking the instrument apart if it weren't under warranty

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

If it's under warranty, either take it back to where you purchased it or take it to an authorized Gibson Warranty Service Center. I would not send it back to the factory since you would eat the cost to ship it there.

arcticsg likes this.