Post pics of your PLASTIC MODS!

shamu1

Reaction score
I'm thinking of swapping out the pickguards, pickup rings, and poker chips on my SG's but I need some ideas! I'd love to see what you all have done modding the plastic on your SGs.

In particular, I have a worn cherry G-400 Faded (with the small '61 pickguard) I'd like to put a white batwing pickguard on, with matching poker chip.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Before and after '98 G-400

biddlin-albums-98-workhorse-picture1377-1998-epi.jpg

Stock '98 G-400
3853d1360006077-clean-polish-wax-1-step-p1010097.jpg

Same '98 with full pickguard, gold hardware and no chip.(I remember where the positions are.)
Biddlin ;>)/

smitty_p

Reaction score
My only plastic "mod" was to install a round shield at the output jack. I did this just to protect the surface of the guitar around the jack when I plug it in.

I made it in the '80s from the clear plastic lid of a cassette case.

happy_tom

Reaction score
Nothing special, I justput on the batwing and witchat knobs (and cream switch tip), bevouse I like late 60s look.

the only 'before' pic I got
dsc00045.jpg

recent:
fotografija0190.jpg

I guess changing the nut to bone one also counts as plastic. It does look cooler.

shamu1

Reaction score
biddlin-albums-98-workhorse-picture1377-1998-epi.jpg

Stock '98 G-400
3853d1360006077-clean-polish-wax-1-step-p1010097.jpg

Same '98 with full pickguard, gold hardware and no chip.(I remember where the positions are.)
Biddlin ;>)/

Your guitar looked cool as is with the teardrop pickguard, but the batwing one looks even better. Some black witch hat knobs would be a cool touch too.

shamu1

Reaction score
BTW, do any of you know of a good online store that sells aftermarket pickguards for SGs? I've seen a bunch on eBay, but I'd rather avoid it if I can.

Also, if the pickguard says it's for a Gibson SG Standard, do you think it would work for a G-400?

Biddlin

Reaction score
BTW, do any of you know of a good online store that sells aftermarket pickguards for SGs? I've seen a bunch on eBay, but I'd rather avoid it if I can.

Also, if the pickguard says it's for a Gibson SG Standard, do you think it would work for a G-400?

I hear good things:
Epiphone® Style, Epi® G-400

I got a Gibson oem and enlarged the bridge post holes.
You may also need to widen the pickup slots to accommodate covers.
Biddlin ;>)/

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I don't like plastic things... so I've removed most of them from my SGs and replaced them with handmade wooden things, which I like much better.
attachment.php

walnut pickguard and ebony switch washer...
attachment.php

ebony TRC with inlay by Scott Swirski of Canada
attachment.php

ebony pickguard and tenon cover in progress
attachment.php

ebony pickguard and tenon cover nearly finished, needing another coat or two of tung oil...
attachment.php

another of Scott Swirski's creations, ebony with Abalone & MOP... Dunno what he made the rose out of, but it looks great on a plain SG Special.

I've also made control cavity covers out of walnut and out of ebony, just because. Those are details that really no one but me would notice or care about, but they were easy to do and I like to get rid of the plastic. One of my first and maybe favorite replacements for the switch washer was a simple washer from the hardware store... Bronze for my faded brown SG, Stainless steel for my Silverburst. the steel one especially gives an elegant and inexpensive upgrade for those who are bothered by Rhythm/Treble from the fifties.

Attachments

Phildog

Reaction score
My only plastic "mod" was to install a round shield at the output jack. I did this just to protect the surface of the guitar around the jack when I plug it in.

I made it in the '80s from the clear plastic lid of a cassette case.

Hey, can we see the rest of this beauty or what!!!???

shamu1

Reaction score
Since it seems like you haven't experienced the awesomeness of this site yet:
SC/SG Guitar editor
Try it out, you can see what all sorts of parts and colours will look like on your guitar :thumb:

Yes, very cool website! However, I can't figure out how to save any of my designs. Any of you know how?

Missy

Reaction score
Nothing special, I justput on the batwing and witchat knobs (and cream switch tip), bevouse I like late 60s look.

the only 'before' pic I got
dsc00045.jpg

recent:
fotografija0190.jpg

I guess changing the nut to bone one also counts as plastic. It does look cooler.

Sorry I sort of hijack this thread, but where did you get that ABR-1 bridge with the small posts?

Missy

Reaction score
Yes, very cool website! However, I can't figure out how to save any of my designs. Any of you know how?

I usually take a printscreen. I don't think there is a way to save your designs in the editor itself nor to save it as a picture.

happy_tom

Reaction score
Sorry I sort of hijack this thread, but where did you get that ABR-1 bridge with the small posts?

I bought it off Thomann.de a couple of years ago, it was sold under their Goeldo brand name, but it's actually a Duesenberg (it's stamped on the bottom).
A quality piece, without the retainer spring, but I don't think they sell them anymore. I think they've got Gotoh instead.

And I forgot to buy M8 to M4 conversion studs, so a friend machined me a couple :applause:

I swapped the bridges with my el cheapo LP goldtop since then, becouse those cheapthomann guitars actually have very decent hardware and the saddles had way more travel room, which my SG needed desperately.

Later I found out I just got 2 consecutive packs with defective A strings and nothing was wrong wtih the guitar. Go figure :hmm:

Latest posts