Potential Melody Maker NGD with neck joint finish checking...should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by discodaft, Dec 1, 2020.

1. discodaft

discodaft New Member

So, I found a cool 60s melody maker (the same my dad used to play) nearby and I'm going to see it tomorrow. It definitely was used, but i got the price down to 1k before I go see it tomorrow. I'm mainly worried about the dinged up neck. The finish is checked basically all over, which is OK, but I'm worried specifically about the checking at the scarf joint. If there is checking here, does it mean there are underlying issues with that joint, or is this just kinda expected at this spot because of natural tension and age? I do want to play it, and not just have it on the wall, so any input is greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

No problem with that. I have a Melody Maker of the same vintage which I bought in 1964, and it is pretty much the same. It's still probably my best-playing guitar and I would use it more if it had a slightly greater range of sounds.

3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Looks like typical finish cracks to me. Nothing to be worried about.

4. discodaft

discodaft New Member

Thanks so much! I ended up going to see it and yea, they were relatively surface level. With a new nut and set up, she'll be good to go!