Pots & Caps on a 1991 SG-62

Jetter

Reaction score
Hi all!

Longtime lurker, first post. I've had a 1991 SG-62 for about 20 years, just a killer guitar. But I do find the tone a bit dark/muffled when compared to other Gibby 'bucker guitars I've played or owned (2001 SG '61 RI, 339, LP Trad, Tweedy SG, etc.). It's got original '57 Classics.

I read that these came with 300k vol and 100k tone pots so am thinking about replacing the tone pots to 500k to add clarity. I run my guitar pots wide open and control tone at the amp.

Before I get into replacing the stock tone pots, does anyone know how to read the pot numbers to confirm if they are indeed 100k? I've read conflicting info on the web about these pot numbers and ratings.

Also, could the caps contribute to the darker tone, even when the pots are run wide open at 10? Would replacing caps be an option to try to add more clarity before replacing tone pots?

Thanks!

SG-2.jpg SG-1.jpg

skelt101

Reaction score
Sorry, I can’t help with reading pot codes. However, you probably won’t notice much of a difference by replacing your pots if you typically run everything wide open (unless you go with no-load tone pots…). In your case, I would suggest lowering the pickups and raising the polepieces to see where that gets you. If that doesn’t work, look into different polepieces, magnets, or pickups altogether.

Jetter

Reaction score
you probably won’t notice much of a difference by replacing your pots if you typically run everything wide open
That's interesting, I thought the point of different values of pots was to change tone? Like: "Using higher value pots (500K) will give the guitar a brighter sound and lower value pots (250K) will give the guitar a slightly warmer sound."

MR D

Reaction score
Hi all!

Longtime lurker, first post. I've had a 1991 SG-62 for about 20 years, just a killer guitar. But I do find the tone a bit dark/muffled when compared to other Gibby 'bucker guitars I've played or owned (2001 SG '61 RI, 339, LP Trad, Tweedy SG, etc.). It's got original '57 Classics.

I read that these came with 300k vol and 100k tone pots so am thinking about replacing the tone pots to 500k to add clarity. I run my guitar pots wide open and control tone at the amp.

Before I get into replacing the stock tone pots, does anyone know how to read the pot numbers to confirm if they are indeed 100k? I've read conflicting info on the web about these pot numbers and ratings.

Also, could the caps contribute to the darker tone, even when the pots are run wide open at 10? Would replacing caps be an option to try to add more clarity before replacing tone pots?

Thanks!

View attachment 47867 View attachment 47866

WOW, NICE ! I'm not an electronics tech so IDK the answer , could take a few semi-educated guesses...but won't !

BUT BUT BUT, can you post a pic of the 2001 SG '61 Re-Issue ? That may be real close to the last of the search for the GREAT GIBSON guitars I've conducted over the years, THE GRAIL so to speak...THEE ONE is actually the one where the Angel Wing P-Guard is still on the guitar and the neck joint is @ 19TH Fret . That is THE ONE ! IDK if its a 1966 or 1965........but the one you mention you have is close !

I'd appreciate that !

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The 70035 on the tone pots is 100k
027 is 500k and 028 is 300k
Caps are fine, .02, it’s the low pot values making them sound dark.

This makes sense to me because I had one of those about 20yrs ago and just couldn’t figure out why it sounded dark.
Live and (hopefully) learn…

Last edited:

Jetter

Reaction score
WOW, NICE ! I'm not an electronics tech so IDK the answer , could take a few semi-educated guesses...but won't !

BUT BUT BUT, can you post a pic of the 2001 SG '61 Re-Issue ? That may be real close to the last of the search for the GREAT GIBSON guitars I've conducted over the years, THE GRAIL so to speak...THEE ONE is actually the one where the Angel Wing P-Guard is still on the guitar and the neck joint is @ 19TH Fret . That is THE ONE ! IDK if its a 1966 or 1965........but the one you mention you have is close !

I'd appreciate that !
Sorry, sold the 2001 years ago. May still have a pic somewhere but will have to see.

skelt101

Reaction score
That's interesting, I thought the point of different values of pots was to change tone? Like: "Using higher value pots (500K) will give the guitar a brighter sound and lower value pots (250K) will give the guitar a slightly warmer sound."
Pot and cap values only really come into play if you are using them. If everything is wide open, not so much. A no-load tone pot will give you a bit more output and brightness. Do you use the volume pots? I know you said you control the tone with your amp…

Jetter

Reaction score
Pot and cap values only really come into play if you are using them. If everything is wide open, not so much. A no-load tone pot will give you a bit more output and brightness. Do you use the volume pots? I know you said you control the tone with your amp…
The no-load pot idea is interesting, thanks. Something to keep in my back pocket if the pot value and cap change don't achieve the tone I'm after.

Norton

Reaction score
91 should be at the very end of the 300k pots. never heard of a 100k pot stock in a gibson.

duckduckgo knows pot codes and it says yours are CTS 500k.

Dave

Reaction score
I have a 1986 SG62. One of the tone pots started failing so I replaced the all the pots with 500K audio taper. Made a huge difference. Brightened up the tone and gave it a much more "open" sound to it.
Has a much more useable range on the tone pots now. I can back off on them if I want it darker or open them up for a brighter tone.

Jetter

Reaction score
91 should be at the very end of the 300k pots. never heard of a 100k pot stock in a gibson.

Yeah according to the SG wiki the SG-62s all came with 100k tone pots.

Jetter

Reaction score
I have a 1986 SG62. One of the tone pots started failing so I replaced the all the pots with 500K audio taper. Made a huge difference. Brightened up the tone and gave it a much more "open" sound to it.
Has a much more useable range on the tone pots now. I can back off on them if I want it darker or open them up for a brighter tone.
Thanks Dave, really good to know! That's exactly the tonal change I'm looking for. I don't suppose you'd measured to see if the tone pots you took out were actually 100k?

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, really good to know! That's exactly the tonal change I'm looking for. I don't suppose you'd measured to see if the tone pots you took out were actually 100k?
I did not measure them but I still have them laying around somewhere.
If I get a chance I'll measure them and report back.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score

100k tone pots (and 300k volume) are actually standard specification from 1976-1995.

Norton

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of 300k pots but never a 100k one.

ill type it again. c r a z y
:wow:

Latest posts