Pots For SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pompeii0, Jul 15, 2020.

1. pompeii0

pompeii0 New Member

I have a 2013 SG with 57 Classics and want to replace the 300K volume pots with 500K pots. What pots do you recommend and is it worth it to replace the tone pots and caps too?
    Thanks!

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

In my experience the CTS pots respond better, that is to say, you can hear a difference all the way. Others tend to go from 0 to WAH with nothing in between. Never tried Bournes, or whatever they are called, but then again I never had to because I use CTS. There's no need to change the others if you don't feel there's a reason for it but whilst you're at it you might as well.

flognoth likes this.
  3. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

It's also a matter of taste. Analog and linear taper pots make a big difference.

Crazy_8 likes this.
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

first make sure that the stock pots are actually 300 k...
    I bought a 2012 Gibson SG in 2013 which came with Gibson 500K pots
    as factory issue. Mine sounds great, and I've left the factory wiring alone.

Next, consider how you use them. If you normally play with your bridge pup wide open,
    as I do, then the resistance of the pot doesn't make much difference. IMHO of course.
    Also, if you use your tone controls to change settings for different songs, listen very
    carefully to what your guitar sounds like. If it gives you what you want, then don't
    mod it. If it doesn't, then look further. Many times guys seem to blame their pickups or
    their wiring for sound problems caused by their amp, or dead strings, or their picking
    technique... (once again IMHO).

If you use your little finger to make volume swells, (instead of a pedal) then maybe the
    500k pots (and audio taper) will give your little finger more control. If you need more
    treble, and can't get what you need by using your tone controls on your guitar or your
    amp or your pedal board, then MAYBE you need to make changes inside the guitar.
    You have to listen carefully, that's how you know.

If you are determined to change out your wiring, consider getting a set manufactured
    by a high quality vendor. This is what I did after modding my SG myself and being uncertain
    that I had accomplished anything. I bought a wiring harness from Martin SixString, but there
    are numerous other makers who use high quality components, wire them in a professional
    way, and match the components to each other in ways that production guitars can't equal.
    I recommend RS Guitar Works also. Also Ken Rose pickups, in California.

My '07 SG special ended up with a pair of Gibson '57 Classic and Classic plus p'ups, and
    an excellent wiring harness that was worth what I paid... It is now 2020 and every time I set
    that instrument down after playing it, it's with the spoken or unspoken comment:
    "What a great guitar." ...that is priceless. Consider well, and then make up your own mind.

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I have used Gotoh and CTS pots before and found them both to be good quality. As has been mentioned decide if you want audio (log.) or linear taper pots. Linear will be fairly even through the whole range while audio will have a swell/drop, usually around "8".

If you're happy with the response of the tones controls then leave them alone, if not then think about experimenting with different cap values. Don't fall for the BS of expensive "mojo" caps, the only thing that matters is the value.

If you use your volume controls a lot to control gain levels then I would recommend adding "treble bleed' circuits to the volume pots. They retain high end when rolling back on the volume, personally I prefer the Kinman style and use them on all my guitars.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find the sounds you're looking for!

Chubbles and Col Mustard like this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I wouldnt do it the guitar will be too bright with 500k. Stock volume pots should be 300k linear and tone pots 500k audio, thats what my 2013 came with.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Yeah. That’s a super personal tastey thing.

Personally, as a general rule I’d much rather have 500k pots in just about any humbucker/p90/mini hb guitar.

But given the choice of a 300k pot with a nice even taper and a 500k with a sharp taper.... I’d much rather have the 300k with a more useful taper.

8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

500K volume pots will sound brighter at 10 compared to 300K volume pots at 10.

When Volume set to 0, pickup is shorted to ground.
    That's why no sound at 0.
    500K at 10 is further from ground than 300K at 10.
    That's why higher frequencies pass through with 500K volume pot set to 10.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    flognoth likes this.
  9. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

And that's why I prefer the 500k because when you dial them back a bit you can have the 300k on 10 sound. If you have the 300k pots there's no way with passive electronics to add more high end.

I generally set up my entire rig to be as bright as I might ever want, and then use the guitar's volume and tone to get what I need at any given time.

cerebral gasket and skelt101 like this.
  10. cerebral gasket

Some pickups can be shrill to begin with and a 300K Volume pot would help tame those highs.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  11. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The mechanism at work here is that the inductance of the pickup and the resistance of the two pots (they are in parallel) combine to form a lowpass filter, that will remove more of the highs the lower the resistance is. And we can't forget the capacitance of the cable which will cause a presence peak at a frequency that gets lower as the cable gets longer. Really long cables will muffle the sound totally.

12. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

500k audio pots all around. I usually use CTS but recently tried Bournes low friction on a LP and really like them.
    BTW, with high output pups like a Dimarzio Super Distortion or a Gibson 500T, I usually use a 1meg pot for volume. I want all I can get out of these when needed but still able to clean up when rolled off.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

What' s wrong with 300 kOhms potentiometers ???

Anyway use Log for the volume and linear for tone.

14. cerebral gasket

15. papagayo

There is a mistake on the Gibson page

Temp 4393.jpg

16. papagayo

17. cerebral gasket

There have been mistakes on the site in the past, but that is not one of them. They used 300K Volume pots on the SG Special Faded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. sentari

sentari New Member

My 2002 Customshop SG Standard has 300 linear for volume and the same for tone pot. I have all sorts of POTs and I really like the linear volume (my Prestige Ibanez also has linear). The linear for the tone is a bit weird. But if you think of it as simply a backwards audio POT and roll it down and use that 20% (where is actually brings the tone up and down) the then they work just fine. So for me I don’t want to switch because it’s not a great idea to rip out stock components on a expensive Guitar. However I did just there with my 60th LP Standard because the audio pots where measuring as low as 400, which is a joke and robs a good portion of the tone. But I lifted the entire electronics out in a whole price so it’s easy to swap back in. The Art of Tone is the best place to buy POTs (and caps). If going linear use their 525s. And if you really want paper in oil get their Vitamin Qs. They are pretty in inexpensive.

Attached Files:

cerebral gasket likes this.
  19. papagayo

Well, this is a linear potentiometer for tone control.

20. cerebral gasket

The choice of pot taper is a personal preference.
    All the SG Special Faded that I had in the past had stock 300K Linear Volume pots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020