pots in the 61 RI

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by SGtone, Nov 1, 2009.

1. SGtone

SGtone Member

The volume and tone pots of my SG 61 RI are getting more and more scratchy. I will try contact spray, although I've heard that contact spray will solve the problem only temporarily and the scratchy noise will reappear after a while (often worse than before).
    If that is the case, I guess I'll have to replace the pots. Now, the thing is the tone of my SG is absolutely perfect and I don't want to change a thing. If I do have to change the pots I need to have exactly the same again. So I need to know exactly what value (300 or 500k?) the two volume and the two tone pots have in the SG 61 reissue. What type or make are the pots? Please let me know, thanks.

2. 8-ball

8-ball Member

You'll find the pots you need here.
    I strongly suggest that you do the 50s mod. Several members on the forum have done this. I did it last week and there's definitely something to it.

3. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I can vouch for the RS kits quality. I had scratchy pots on my new '59 VOS LP.

The 50s wiring completely transformed my LP. I'm not sure why Gibson don't use the 50s wiring on their "re-issues"?

If you want to retain the current SG wiring, as per Gibson '61 wiring, they also have an SG kit -> http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/product_info.php?cPath=47_61&products_id=528 You can deconstruct your requirements from the parts listed in the kit.

4. SGtone

SGtone Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I have the RS kit and the 50s wiring for my Les Paul and it's great. However, I'm perfectly happy with the tone of my SG, i.e. I definitely don't want to change an thing and also want to keep the modern wiring. Just in case the pots give up their ghost I need to have exact replacements. So could anyone give me more details on the exact type of pot (volume and tone) Gibson installed in the 61 RI (Vibrola type from 2001). What values do they have, 300 or 500k?

5. 8-ball

8-ball Member

[quote author=SGtone link=topic=19911.msg241610#msg241610 date=1257878198]
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have the RS kit and the 50s wiring for my Les Paul and it's great. However, I'm perfectly happy with the tone of my SG, i.e. I definitely don't want to change an thing and also want to keep the modern wiring. Just in case the pots give up their ghost I need to have exact replacements. So could anyone give me more details on the exact type of pot (volume and tone) Gibson installed in the 61 RI (Vibrola type from 2001). What values do they have, 300 or 500k?
    [/quote]

Well, all I can come up with is that you turn to Gibson Inc. and ask them.
    Good luck.