Pre-owned SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by trypeus, Mar 16, 2021.

1. trypeus

trypeus New Member

I recently dipped a toe into the S/H market place, having got that bug that's been going around - lockdown guitar buying-19. I had a fancy for a P90 loaded SG and went to look at one. Plus points, it looked mint and played great. There was a little scuffing on the case, but nothing serious.
    However, The volume control for the bridge pickup did zip until it reached halfway, and at max volume it was still pretty quiet.
    Common problem I hear you say - but on my humbucker loaded SG no such problem. Looking again, this was obviously a known fault, the bridge pickup had been raised to the point that it was rattling around loose.
    Now, I could have adjusted it back down to see what happened - except that the one thing missing from the case candy was the tool kit.
    Another minor detail, the jack socket was a bit tight - but my own SG has that too (why SG's? I've never had that on LP's or 'birds).
    Anyway, the seller couldn't make enough adjustment price wise for me to take it and we parted amicably.

.....But I've still got that damned bug!

2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

2 Words, SG CLASSIC.

These are proven and exceptional P90 SG's. Find one Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SG Classic.jpg

3. chilipeppermaniac

They made Black Classics too.

4. trypeus

trypeus New Member

Still looking. :cheers::cheers:

5. chilipeppermaniac

Look Look Look Look Look Look.

BTW, I can add more words than just SG Classic.
    SG Special
    SG Jr
    SG Std
    SGJ
    SG Tribute(s)
    SG Derek Trucks
    SG Kirk Douglas
    SG Custom
    SG Special Faded
    SG Pete Townshend
    SG
    SG
    SG

There I said it. SG

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  6. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

Man, I wish Gibson would start making these again!

7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

they will...

+1 on everything Chili said.
    General statements about SGs or Gibsons of any kind are mostly doo doo.
    Gibsons have a lot of variations from one guitar to another within the same
    year class. Lots of guitarists don't understand that, and love to make sweeping
    statements that some guys love to hear. But they're just not true.

You have to play it. If you make it a quest, so the you play as many as you can
    before buying, you'll see what mean. if don't do thad, and just go ahead and
    order something unexamined and unplayed off the internet based on sweeping
    general statements made by people like me, who know nothing about your
    music, you might end up wondering why your new Gibson isn't like they said
    it would be.

Get your shots, and then go where they sell them, and play as many as they'll
    let you. That's how to find The One. Good luck to you in your quest.
    Play lots of them until you find the one that comes alive in your hands.
    Then it won't matter what color it is, or if it's got some scratches or what
    it only matters how it sounds and feels.

Neezduts89 likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

9. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

I love the way you describe what it’s like to find THE guitar. You’re 100% correct with everything you’ve said, as far as “trying out as many as they’ll let you” and “finding the one that comes alive when you play it”. You gotta search for the right one and try out many before making a decision. Often when you see a guitar that you like, but have never played or seen in person, and you end up purchasing it, you can end up very disappointed. Each guitar is like a different experience and that can be great for some but not so great for others. Obviously most of us here love our SG’s, but I’m sure there are others that don’t. Sometimes it takes years to find that one guitar that you can connect with on such a level, but it’s a really good feeling when you finally do, and it’ll completely change the way you look at guitars and playing

10. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Active Member

IME, a lot of guitars just have bad set-ups and do not play well because of it. Not every seller wants someone adjusting Neck Relief, Pick-Up heights etc etc. But, U might want to bring a Notched Straight-Edge/feeler gauges & TR Wrench (even a blacklight) with you when checking out any of the guitars you are considering buying.

I recently went an got an SG Special, the guy hated the guitar, and it sounded, to be kind, a bit dull and the strings were mushy. BUT the Guy had the Relief set at over .025" @ 7TH Fret, I closed the relief to .006"and that guitar came right to life. BANG, it was like a different guitar. Bought it on the spot......$600 well spent $$$$'s, not a scratch on it.The Guy hated it so much he never played it....Turns out, the guy never paid to have it set-up and probably wondered why it sounded as it did.

GIBSON has made some turkey's no doubt, but ,generally, GIBSON makes great guitars, they just do..and a good Set-up can make a huge difference.

PauloQS and Neezduts89 like this.
  11. PauloQS

PauloQS Member

Totally agree. My Slash Standard played terrible when I first got it. Action at the nut was way too high and it was binding, neck relief needed a quarter turn, action was a bit too high and pickups were ways too high as well. Less than 30min setup made the guitar come to life both in the playing and sounding departments. I made the gamble because I got a great deal on it. My CS SG also needed a little bit of a truss rod adjustment, but I suspect it was mainly because seller loosened the truss rod before shipping it. A well set up guitar will play and sound better and will stay in tune.

12. trypeus

trypeus New Member

Well, I was expecting a delivery of floor varnish when the doorbell rang (still am) what was delivered was a Pelham Blue SG Special with P90s. No issues with the bridge volume pot or pup on this one - so I was right about the pre-owned one. It already plays decent but a pro set up will make it even better I'm sure. It sounds great, looks fantastic, and weirdly the price was the same as the pre-owned one. Happy days!