Preferred Locking Tuners (Kluson style w/ Pearl knobs)?

skelt101

Reaction score
Sorry, but I’m not seeing the locking version of the SD510 on their website. This is exactly what I’m looking for to replace the locking Grovers with stainless buttons on my Les Paul Standard. I bought some cheap plastic vintage-looking keystone buttons on the web, but like OP’s, you can see the black screws running through them, which kind of bugs me.

Do these Gotohs have the locking thumbwheels, or am I missing something?
They’re not pictured on the Gotoh website, but you can see them here:
https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...onal-kluson-style-3-x-3-guitar-tuners-nickel/
They also make a version that locks at the post:
https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...king-kluson-style-3-x-3-guitar-tuners-nickel/
I don’t know how well the existing mounting holes from the Grovers will match up. That might be worth some research.

Sparky84

Reaction score
They’re not pictured on the Gotoh website, but you can see them here:
https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...onal-kluson-style-3-x-3-guitar-tuners-nickel/

I don’t know how well the existing mounting holes from the Grovers will match up. That might be worth some research.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the Grovers' mounting holes don't look that they will line up at all with these Gotohs or any Kluson style - rather than screws on the top and bottom, I can only see the one screw offset to the bottom side, as shown below. Which means drilling into my LP, which I'm not really up for doing, or even having done professionally. It looks like the offset screw hole from the Grovers might be visible as well. I may be stuck with these transparent keystones or just go back to the stock chrome buttons, I guess.

[GALLERY=media, 3402]Grover tuners by Sparky84 posted Jun 20, 2020 at 4:42 PM[/GALLERY]

ChubbyFingers

Reaction score
Got a guide or video on your method?

1. Align the tuning peg hole so it's in line with the string path between nut slot and the center of the tuning peg.
2. Feed the plain end of the string through the hole. Keep it a little loose.
3. Wrap the string end the correct way around the peg and tuck the free end under the string already wrapped around the post.
4. Pull everything snug so the long part of the string is bearing down on the part tucked under it. Small pliers may hep here.
5. Bend the string through a sharp 90 degrees to help anchor it.
6. Tune up. Adjust. Repeat until you get it right.
7. Cut off the free end.
8. Break your high E string and start over :D

skelt101

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the Grovers' mounting holes don't look that they will line up at all with these Gotohs or any Kluson style - rather than screws on the top and bottom, I can only see the one screw offset to the bottom side, as shown below. Which means drilling into my LP, which I'm not really up for doing, or even having done professionally. It looks like the offset screw hole from the Grovers might be visible as well. I may be stuck with these transparent keystones or just go back to the stock chrome buttons, I guess.

[GALLERY=media, 3402]Grover tuners by Sparky84 posted Jun 20, 2020 at 4:42 PM[/GALLERY]
Are those stock? (I’m not referring to the buttons.) Usually they look like this:
p-grv-102-18n.png

Sparky84

Reaction score
Strange - yes, I assume mine are stock, I bought the guitar new from Macari's, the famous Gibson dealer on Denmark Street in London, and I certainly never did any mods. Presumably they're just a different Grover model?

Sparky84

Reaction score
Looks like these are mine, and were stock. Does anybody know if Gibson varies their tuning machines on a particular model guitar from year to year, or even within a year? For whatever reason, my 2013 Standard was given these Grovers. They work great, I just prefer the look of the classic opaque keystone buttons:

Min Roto-Grip Locking Rotomatics®
(505 Series)

A smaller version of the regular size Roto-Grip Locking Rotomatics® for the inline and smaller headstocks or for those who prefer a lighter feel. 18:1 gear ratio.

[GALLERY=media, 3406]505C-3 by Sparky84 posted Jun 22, 2020 at 12:57 PM[/GALLERY]

Latest posts