Probably my next amp

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by plankton, Jul 22, 2018.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Ever since I got my THR 10 I've been loving the Plexi sounds it produces, and no wonder as many of my favourite players have used them to create their classic sounds. I am also thinking about finding some people to play with, so I wouldn't mind something with a bit of volume. Most of my playing will still be around the house though, so a 50 or 100 watt head with no means of attenuation is out. I'm also a cheapskate, so $1k-1.2k AUD is about what I'm looking to spend all up.

Luckily there seems to be several amps that might work. There's Marshall's own Origin 20H and the new DSL line, most likely the 20 or even 40w versions. I'm also fairly intrigued with the Blackstar HT40 MkII, online demos sound great and it's getting great reviews, plus the built in attenuation that brings it down to 4w would cover all my bases. There are a couple other decent amps around that I might consider too. I haven't actually gone out and played anything as I'm a few months away from having the funds.

Lately I've also been loving a sort-of broken up Fender Deluxe sound that I've dialed in on the THR. It got me thinking that an amp with a the same sort of versatility but more volume and bigger speakers would be perfect. I had vague recollections of Yamaha having a THR head and so I set about doing some research.

What I've found is quite possibly my next amp. The THR 100HD has got everything I'm looking for, several classic amp sounds that respond like a proper tube amp, but in a more portable and durable format. The dual amp design is amazing as is the simplicity of the layout. I can't find a single thing that I dislike about this thing, even the "issues" that some complain about seem like pluses to me. I even like the matching mismatched speaker cab.

So anyone have any experience with these and can share your thoughts? They seem to be a bit off the radar, several good reviews when they came out a few years ago but not an amp you hear much about these days. I will definitely be trying one out in person when I've got the money, but any feedback would be great.

2. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

i would love one of these thr 100 heads. I have the thr 10 and love it. only thing I wish it had was the ability to channel switch.

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Never seen a THR100 in the flesh, but that's the sort of thing I'd want to try out before buying. My 10-watt Blackstar ID:Core amp is a great desktop amp with some authentic-sounding tones, but the 100-watt 2x10 model I tried sounded thin, wheezy, and inauthentic.

Having just bought a DSL40C, I can safely recommend the DSL series. It can do plexi-ish stuff just as well as it can do pristine cleans and JCM crunch. The Origin I have not tried, but I know they're a bit of a one-trick-pony, and you have to get them moving some air to get that trick going. There are a lot of Marshall fans that aren't particularly happy with the Origin series and just recommend the DSL anyway.

The Blackstar HT series is awesome. People will tell you that they suck because they use solid-state op-amps in the preamp section. Those people need to listen with their ears and not their eyes. It's a smoother, creamier distortion than Marshall's harder-edged grind. Also a little more forgiving with one's playing.

If you like the looser distortion of the Deluxe, you might check out the new Fender Pro Junior IV and the Bassbreaker series. The Pro Junior you have to crank a little, but it makes some wonderful sounds. The Bassbreaker has more preamp overdrive, a la Marshall DSL, but still has a little of that Fender character in it.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of those!

plankton likes this.
  4. plankton

I'll definitely be trying the THR 100, from what I've heard and read it sounds great at all volumes, maybe even better the louder it gets. If it's not all I think it's going to be then the HT40 might be the go.

Some people are funny. They'll complain about an amp using solid state circuitry, and then talk about how they run their all-tube amp clean and get their drive sounds from a $300 overdrive pedal. Dumb asses.

Worblehat likes this.
  5. plankton

Preset buttons?

6. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

yeh, they do the job.. i meant footswitchable

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

I didn't get this dichotomy either, but just recently learned how many top names still use TS's this way, and how many classic solos were done with a TS or RAT or other.

So I've been experimenting, and what I've discovered, is I am definitely getting more compression and sustain at lower volumes, which translates into smoother drive from pedals. When I say lower volumes, I mean gig levels when miced. Without pedals, my amp sounds spikey, staticy and grainy until its at roof-lifting levels, where it sounds great!...but beyond impractical.

The solution was to build in the same pedal circuit into the amp, which many did and do. With my limited collection, I really prefer the clean on my tube amps to my SS amps. I'm still trying to understand why that is. Could be the much larger transformers in my [big iron] amps versus the smaller lighter weight ones in my SS amps. Still studying that.

I'm still looking for the amp that will give me the clean, crunch, drive I need without pedals, but its proving elusive.

8. plankton

Just to be clear, I totally understand using a drive pedal in front of a tube amp and have no issues with the practice. I was meaning that I've seen people turn their nose up at amps with solid state components in their gain stages, but have no issue with running a solid state gain pedal into their "all tube" amps. It seems hypocritical and doesn't make sense to me, but to each their own.

Clifdawg likes this.
  9. Clifdawg

Now, I do understand the practice of using an OD as a boost so that it causes the preamp tubes to break up harder. It sounds great when I use my OCD in this manner. I also get using an OD/Distortion for lower volumes to help "smooth out" or "fill in" the drive on a tube amp (this is how I use the OCD at church). But I'm with you - people playing pristinely clean on a tube amp and getting all the drive sound from pedals and then bashing solid state tech? I just don't get it. :rofl:

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Then there's the speakers used ... no end to it.
    Could you add a external cab to your THR10 ?

If you go out shopping, try a Super Champ X2 head, you could be pleasantly surprised.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Active Member

I agree, Cliffdog and Plankton. I've owned bedroom sized tube-tube amps that were revealing, but one trick ponies. I've run thru a lot of modelling amps. I still like something about my tube amps. I just need something much smaller but still covers some territory. The quest continues...

12. Clifdawg

Have you tried the Blackstar HT1R head and 1x12cab? They can usually be had for less than 500 and are shockingly versatile. Sounds huge at tiny-amp prices and volumes.

I also wrote a lengthy review of the Marshall DSL1CR 1x8, which is great little amp.

13. plankton

There's no speaker out jacks on the THR. I don't think trying to use the 1/8" headphone jack would work very well, and the only other out is a USB. I have seen photos of someone who added speaker outputs on their THR 10.

Thanks for the recommendation Dr., I'll keep that Fender in mind.

14. plankton

I'm not sure if it's the sort of sound you're after, but my current main amp is a Laney Cub 12R and it can produce a wide range of gain. It's a single channel amp but you can set it for a decent amount of gain and use the guitar's volume to dial in really nice clean tones and everything else in between. I have a boost pedal and a few fuzzes as well that add a bit or a lot more if I want. It's got a >1w input for around the house or you can run it at the full 15w and it's pretty loud.

15. plankton

No one with any familiarity with these THR 100s though? :hmm:

16. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, the THR 100 sounds like the thing. I wouldn't hesitate to get it if ... I needed it :cool:

syscokid, plankton and In Tampa like this.