probably the biggest newb question ever

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by bmwlover0725, Jun 27, 2006.

1. bmwlover0725

bmwlover0725 Member

I'm gonna sound like a total beginner, which I am not... but one thing I've never been taught was a harmonic pinch... I don't understand how to do it... can anyone show me?

2. bmwlover0725

bmwlover0725 Member

alright nevermind as I just found the same question in another topic :oops:

3. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

wheres the topic?

4. Rendus

Rendus Member

5. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=bmwlover0725 link=topic=9153.msg117996#msg117996 date=1151462509]
    alright nevermind as I just found the same question in another topic :oops:
    [/quote]
    Did you get the help you wanted? The idea is that part of the flesh of your picking finger/thumb brushes up against the string while you pick it. It's this partial deadening of the string especially at certain locations that fundamentally changes the way that string vibrates.

What happen with any sort of harmonic is that with your finger (left or right hand), you gently nudge up against the string in such a way as to distort the shape of the wavelength but without silencing the string, it keeps ringing. You can get natural harmonics with either hand but you typically only get pinched or artificial harmonics from your picking hand because you can drive the string into vibration while simultaneously slightly nudging it to get a pinched harmonic response.

I like to use humbuckers and a somewhat high gain rig which I believe makes it easier to get started in harmonics as well as controllable feedback which lets your harmonics sing on potentially forever. It's typically harder to produce lasting harmonics of any sort without a higher gain rig. The BOSS DS-1 pedal rocks for doing this sort of thing, something about even order harmonics are accentuated because of how the signal is handled in a symmetrical (or was it an asymmetrical?) fashion.

I first learned about harmonics accidentally. I like how a guitar sounds under somewhat high gain settings, so I was playing something and accidentally brushed against one of the strings with my picking hand and it produced a harmonic just like that. Doing it on purpose takes some practice. Sometimes it helps if you move your picking hand to a different location. If your not sure if you produced a pinched harmonic or not, after trying it, then also play the same note while with regular picking to see if you hear a difference.

6. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

The way I found out about these was by accident. after you do it a few times it becomes easy. I'd try choking up on the pick, then attacking the string really hard. Its easyest to learn on the A string at the 7th fret or so and bend after picking.

Oh and also, dont forget to use as much gain as possible and turn up the trble on the guitar and amp

7. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

[quote author=SG dan link=topic=9153.msg150966#msg150966 date=1166738764]
    The way I found out about these was by accident. after you do it a few times it becomes easy. I'd try choking up on the pick, then attacking the string really hard. Its easyest to learn on the A string at the 7th fret or so and bend after picking.

Oh and also, dont forget to use as much gain as possible and turn up the trble on the guitar and amp
    [/quote]
    thats how i found out about them, well i dint no wat they was at first, i thought i picked the string wrong till etsg explained it to me thanks

8. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

i was just tinkering around and then :?"huh that sound cool." :)

9. jetlag

jetlag Member

I love it when I accidentally do it in practice and it sounds awesome.

Then next time around I try to do it deliberately and I never can :roll: ;D

10. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

i can kind of do it when ah want, beginning to get hang on it, after like four months!!

11. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Dare I suggest that it's an issue of having a good signal chain?

Perhaps your own rig is letting you down some. Try this, go down to the music store and tell them you want to test out a rig that is easy to get pinched harmonics from.

However, if I recall correctly, it took me a long time to get them too, but the biggest difference was having sufficiently good enough gear.

12. Ac/Dc_wannabe

Ac/Dc_wannabe Member

I do pinched harmonics all the time, I find that I most frequently get them around the very back of the neck pickup. of course different frets will effect that abit. Also a few things that will help is to crank up the gain all the way and use clean strings. Just takes a short bit of going up and down the string trying to find the sweet spot on it near the pickups. I find that the higher the note the further back I have to go down the string to get a nice pig squeal.

13. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Also ask the salesguy or other guitarists or your guitarist friends how they do it. Depending on who's rig it is, they might be able to help you understand what the problem is as you both try to do it. Live demos are very cool that way!

As Ac/Dc_wannabe says, you sometimes have to move your picking hand around a bit to get to a hotter spot. If you have too much high gain going on, it could be that you actually are getting pinched harmonics but just don't clearly catch it when it happens. This is an issue of control over your gear and over your playing technique.

It also happens better when you have enough volume to improve speaker to pickup interconnect. It also happens better when your pickup is pointed at the speakers.

Do you do all these things?
    Do you have enough gain?
    Do you use old strings?
    Do you get some flesh on the strings immediately after the pick?
    Do you move the pick hand to slightly different positions to try to find a hotter spot while leaving your left hand where it is?

If you move your fret hand, you just moved the hot spot locations for the pick hand!

14. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

to me quality of gear doesn't enter into it. I can get yer basic pinch harmonics outta most my guitars but I get the clearest out of my 28 euro Richwood strat copy. straight into my Peavey Rage 158 on the gain channel. but you have to play around on where to get them. like SGdan I figured out how to do these by accident just fiddling about.

15. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

You do love telling people that Strat only cost you 28 euro's don't you Dan ;)
    Must be one hell of a good guy who sold you that.

16. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=Daniel link=topic=9153.msg152346#msg152346 date=1167322507]
    [size=10pt]to me (A) quality of gear doesn't enter into it. (B) I can get yer basic pinch harmonics outta most my guitars but I get the clearest out of my 28 euro Richwood strat copy. ...[/size][/quote]
    That's somewhat contradictory my friend. If A were true, then B should not be true as different quality gear should make "no difference", but as you correctly demonstrate, different quality gear does indeed make a difference.

The gear definitely has something to do with how easy it is to get pinched harmonics, especially for a beginner. Perhaps you and I would have learned how to get pinched harmonics in half the time if we had better gear. I'd like others to have the same advantage. ;)

17. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I dunno 1 Way..I can get get a pinched harmonic on my acoustic. :)

18. 1Way

1Way Active Member

GuitarWeasel, I completely agree with the idea that once you have some experience with getting pinched harmonics that you are also that much more able to get them from (if you will) tougher gear. Of course you can.

The point Daniel illustrated and we probably all pretty much agree, is that each significant part of the signal chain matters in order to get a really good sound/tone. Better gear is capable and more likely to produce better sound/tone, and worse gear is capable of and more likely to produce worse sound/tone. That is behind the sage saying, (within your own means) buy the best gear you can afford. The dividends pay off year after year.

I think it's fair to say that we all agree that the quality of our gear, every (significant) piece in the signal chain, matters. Right? It's easier to get a full range from the sonic pallet if you have sufficiently good enough gear. Which implies that some guitars and some pickups and some amps and some speakers and some tubes and some effects and some strings and some combinations of all those lend themselves better to various guitar sounds/tones including "pinched harmonics" than others.
    8)

19. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

I was going to point out that I can achieve pinch harmonics with my guitar clean, not thinking it would have to do with how much you practise. I really don't practise them at all and hardly use them but I know how it's done and it's the same as learning guitar in the first place... getting your hands to do what your mind wants them to.

20. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I can get them on an acoustic. They may not sound like much, or be much use, but I can do them.