Processed Cheese

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Tobacco Worm, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Over the past few months all my pedals have been put up and sit in their boxes. Been running through either a Crate RFX30 digital amp or the Fender Mustang 1, an even more digital amp. Been going totally stupid with the multitude of effects and thus I've become more processed than the wrapped single sliced cheese in a super market.... So I decided to do something that I'll resort to when I feel over processed and becoming stale.

I return to the basics. A Strat with it's great singing single coils running straight into a single 10" 25 W SS amp with no effects at all.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Between the old Peavey and the Fender amp there's nothing but simply the crystal clear tones of the Strat pouring out of either of these basic SS amps. Overdrive is also 100% derived from the amps alone and in itself, quite remarkable in how it sounds compared to being a processed OD. Both amps have real spring reverb and they both have very distinct and individual tone both clean and driven. The Fender has stunning clarity and chime while the Peavey's a more subdued and compressed tone. Yet both provide unmistakable reproduction of the instrument and makes it quite exposed to hear any faults.

By hearing the instrument with such unprocessed clarity I notice every detail of the sound, both good and bad. In doing so I'm able to quickly notice when I'm playing well, or just trying to get by as when using multiple effects that mask the instrument's true sound. I become lazy with being all processed and depend on that to get by when in reality I'm not playing up to par so to speak. This return to the basics is something I do now and then when I truly know that I'm getting stale and sloppy in my playing.

I've posted this activity before in the past, but there are several new members that have never heard me speak of this I'm sure. Not that I'm any great artist of inspiring innovation, but rather just another guitar player that gets stuck in a rut and seeks a way to break out of it to clean up my act. This is by no means a reinvention of the wheel, but more of a way to put some clean air back into the tire so to speak. It makes you "feel the road" more and as such, become more aware of it.

So if you feel like you've gone stale in your playing or wish to wring out some fresh and clear tones for a change, give this a try. It might just surprise you to find that after a brief time running clean with no processing just how good or bad you're playing. Either way it's a worthwhile effort that will quite often pay you back with dividends. And you'll have some fresh cheese that isn't processed .:)

Thanks for listening....

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Nice post. Of course long-time readers here know I play most of the time with a truly jazz/country clean amp setting and no effects (well, reverb), saving the overdrive, echo, wah, and such for special colors.

You really do hear every detail of your playing, for good or ill.

I also suggest playing acoustic guitar - and even amplified acoustic, particularly in a dedicated acoustic amp or channel model. It also is a way to hear your phrasing naked, so to speak.

eS.G. and Biddlin like this.
  3. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

...or play a Telecaster, the most unforgiving guitar on the planet.

eS.G. and dbb like this.
  4. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

:laugh2: Agreed!

But I think TW has a valid point. Get rid of all the "shash" (I think that's a radio ham term. :dunno:) and play the guitar clean in all its naked glory to expose all those flaws in your playing technique. I really hate it when guitarists feel they need to have a level of distortion that is excessive and just mushes up the sound. Even I can sound like a HM Gtr Hero with that amount of distortion on my playing. :hmm:

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I'm aware of how well I play and have invested heavily in tools to obscure the fact from my audience. It would be silly, selfish and wasteful not to maximise their utilisation. :laugh2:
    [​IMG]
    ;>)/

Alex_SG and JohnnyGoo like this.
  6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

And the electric I've been gigging with the most. :laugh2::laugh2:

I did haul the SG copy out last week for the jazz jam. This week it was the acoustic with the pickup.

Teles are indeed unforgiving, but I love them.

eS.G. likes this.
  7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Biddie, is that REALLY your board??????

8. Biddlin

Nope. I own one multi-pedal and only use it for fuzz/wah and volume. I am thinking about getting some Danelectro distortion an delay pedals and a CryBaby, because I do a couple of tunes live, that would be easier to pull-off that way. My biggest concern is remembering to collect them all after the gig. My memory is good, but short
    ;>)/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That's where a small pedalboard makes it easy. I just keep the cables in the pedalboard case, when I finish a gig I wrap up the 2 cables, the power supply cable, and it's one thing to haul out.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Somehow I don't think so.....

Biddlin likes this.
  11. Biddlin

I do want to know about some of those Danelectro pedals, though David.
    Being thrifty, like yourself, those look like the McCoy. Which ones do you use?
    ;>)/

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

OK, the dirt pedals I use are a basic old Boss DS-1, no mods.

The Danos:

FAB Distortion

[​IMG]

A nice all-around distortion, it gets swapped out with the Boss DS-1 because I keep thinking the other is better!

D-4 FAB Echo

[​IMG]

Basic slapback and almost reverb, I use this with amps without reverb

Danelectro D-8 FAB 600ms Delay

[​IMG]

Great delay for cheap!

Overdrive D2 Fab

[​IMG]

Adds a nice touch of grind, also thickens the tone a bit....very useful to add a little crunch to my very clean amp settings.

These may not be to everyones' tastes but for my money and ear I like them a lot.

Biddlin likes this.
  13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

bump

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

And this one

Danelectro Cool Cat CTO-2 Transparent Overdrive V2 Guitar Effects Pedal

[​IMG]

CoolCatTone

70 bucks, metal case, true bypass, lots of tonal options, quite a pedal for the $$$.

[​IMG]

Biddlin likes this.
  15. Tobacco Worm

Well since the thread has been completely derailed from going back to basic guitar into amp thoughts, and now has switched to pedals......

One word:

RAT

[​IMG]
    I have spoken....

Alex_SG and Biddlin like this.
  16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I was just helping Biddlin......

17. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I like cheese.

Swiss is my favorite. I also like sharp cheddar.

At home, I rarely play with effects. I usually plug straight into the amp.

18. Tobacco Worm

[​IMG]

I have now transcended into playing the instrument with only my mind.....
    I no longer require the use of my hands nor any effects at all. I merely think the melody and it is done. :hmm:

Thus my name shall no longer be Tobacco Worm....

It is now.....

Tibetan Worm of the House of the Most Holy Transcendental Telepathic Seekers of the Tones of Perfection Palace on Earth.....

But the others there just call me Wade. :slap:

dbb, Biddlin and Alex_SG like this.
  19. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Ummm...I think you need to go shoot some scorpions, Wade.

I mean the arachnids...not the band.

20. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

So, you have found enlightenment. You hanging with the Maharishi now bro? :dunno: