Prototype

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Bing, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Bing

Bing New Member

Hello, So truss rod cover says 50s tribute. It has 2 p-90s. With gig bag. Any info or approximate value. Thanks 04C5CDDB-6873-4B27-8556-60DA42E189FF.jpeg 04C5CDDB-6873-4B27-8556-60DA42E189FF.jpeg

2. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I don't know, but seem to have a recollection that all the 50s tribute guitars were stamped "prototype" because the SGs weren't out until '61.

These guitars were blown out quite cheaply, maybe $450 or so in some US shops? I had a Future Tribute I bought new for about $600. I suspect they'll be hard to find/buy nowadays for under $550-600 even for second hand stuff in average condition - but, I am purely guessing (ebay and reverb seem to have so many scalpers driving up the prices of these types of guitars nowadays...).

3. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

This is correct. I can’t comment on the value. However, sites like Reverb and eBay can search sold listings to help give an idea of the current market price. But like Bettyboo said, you may need to take that information with a grain of salt.

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

In Canada they were cleared out buy Best Buy at 200 CAD ! ! ! A few months later those were back on the market for ±800 CAD.

5. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

Hey, if it sounds cool, get it! Gibson's back on their SG game right now. Don't miss out on a great guitar. That one is a looker.

6. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

$600 should be fair for that one. No more than $800.

7. Bettyboo

Another thing to note: a lot of these guitars were bought new, very cheap, by a big retailer who strips them down and sells the parts; I remember seeing dozens of examples of these. Also, the future tribute (I think all of these) had a thin nitro satin finish which was just horrible - came off in chunks after a few days playing hence why I sold mine - having said that, many folks liked this feature - but, this finish is nothing like the nitro gloss on current Gibsons; just mentioning that (you might like the finish, you might not...). For that reason (the finish), to me, a faded was a better SG, as were any gloss nitro SGs.

8. Bettyboo

&, another thing... the 50s tributes had big round necks - some folks liked this, some folks did not. Just offering some more info.

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Personally, I would love to have one of those... they were only made for one year
    I believe, or maybe a bit more. They didn't sell well, and were marked down and down.
    I wish I had popped for one during the markdown frenzy.

I'm sure they are worth more now, because of being so unique.
    ...and from having such basic excellence.
    including the "prototype' marking, right from Gibson. Instant collector piece.

The fun part is that the designers and engineers who came up with that guitar
    are different from the butterfly boys in the marketeering department. So the Gibson
    SG Special "50s Tribute" is a really excellent guitar with a really dumb name.

I'd snap that up immediately, except that I'm hunkered down in self quarantine
    and there are no gigs in the middle of a pandemic, so no place to play, so no NGDs
    for me. I have two SG specials to keep me company, and they'll have to do.

But I envy you your chance to get one of these unusual instruments.
    If an SG with P-90s can be considered unusual... (it can't)
    But a prototype now... I like that.