PRS Neck Explaination

Larry

Reaction score
Lawn Giland, New Yawk (as we natives call it)
A friend of mine just ordered a PRS (not sure which model). I asked him to describe the neck profile and here's his answer:

"It's called a wide/fat neck, but it's not wide or fat. It's kind of in between a Gibson and a Fender but it feels normal"

???

q-4000-SG Guy

Reaction score
[quote author=Larry link=topic=15723.msg200590#msg200590 date=1196183096]
A friend of mine just ordered a PRS (not sure which model). I asked him to describe the neck profile and here's his answer:

"It's called a wide/fat neck, but it's not wide or fat. It's kind of in between a Gibson and a Fender but it feels normal"

???
[/quote]sounds about right the closest i can describe it is that it feels like a LP on a diet but more strat like my friend has a PRS and the neck feels like my q-4000. I'm sure this is absolutely NO help! its wider than a LP and a bit thinner but has more of a D shape to it vs a C or V shape. now I'm sure your completely confused. tell your friend to bring the PRS and play it you will understand I love the PRS neck just don't relay like the way they play or sound or look (look like a double cut LP on crack)

nalaregeork

Reaction score
A friend bought the SE special which was only a few bucks more then my SG Faded. I really liked it if I had made the purchase after him I might have gone that route, 24 frets is real nice, the neck felt great, and the instrument had better sustain then the SG.
I was looking at the Santana II model real nice :Droolin: but for the money it better be ;D

Voxman

Staff Member
Reaction score
I have the Vintage neck profile on mine and it's broad in the back and very buttery to play. But I also like the wide thin's too!

oldrockfan

Reaction score
vox, I was going to mention that too. The PRS is well known for making a wide thin neck option. I can tell you it is just the ticket if you have fat stubby fingers. Gives you enough room to do fingering but not so thick that you can't get good movement up and down the neck. I like them but have never owned a PRS for some reason. Well I know the reason; the ones i like are generally too much $$$ for my budget. I have lexus taste but a toyota budget :-\

philosopher

Reaction score
I had a ce24 for a while (gave it away, it had a couple of dead spots).
It had the wide thin neck.
Thin yes, it was thin, but I never understood the "wide" thing. How would it be if it was "narrow"?
Anyway, it was an ibanez kind of neck. Quite thin and fast. It was a nice guitar actually. If it wasn't for the dead spots I'ld have it now.

Latest posts