PRS not just a warmed over LP/Strat

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
I have purposely avoided PRS guitars, because the workmanship looks too good.... OK I have noodled on a few soapbars... friggin excellent....

PRS has always impressed me as either a super strat on steroids, or a refined Les Paul.

Made a trade yesterday for a 2014 US S2 Singlecut.

I'd compare it more to a Sparkle Jet or Electromatic with some ass in it's britches...

Reaction score
I love the bird fret markers on the PRS. I've not played one.....yet. I wouldn't say no to the Gretsch either. Could you clarify please. Do you have both guitars or is the Gretsch in the pic the one that you traded?

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
I love the bird fret markers on the PRS. I've not played one.....yet. I wouldn't say no to the Gretsch either. Could you clarify please. Do you have both guitars or is the Gretsch in the pic the one that you traded?

I traded a strat for the PRS, the Gretsch I traded a G$L tele for last year.

love the soapbars, a yellow one had tempted me a while back

Chuteboxehero

Reaction score
I was just looking at a 2014 S2 Custom 24 and took a day to ponder over it. Gone by the time I went back the next day. Had a beautiful but not overkill flame maple top. Played incredibly well. I wasn't familiar with the S2 lineup until recently. I had never considered a U.S. PRS due to the price but these are much more realistically priced and damn fine.

Colnago

Reaction score
PRS are very nice guitars. I have a difficult time liking their headstock, it reminds me of an 80’s pointy guitar, so I don’t own any.

Chubbles

Reaction score
I kinda like the way the strings come off the tuners and go straight over the nut and down the neck. No bends.

images.jpeg-2.jpg

I know what you mean by pointy. I used to have an '84 BC Rich Ironbird.

download.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Norton

Reaction score
The only thing gretsch and prs have in common is that they are guitars.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
The headstock is a little off, but it’s not the worst non-gibson I have ever seen.

it has the compact no nonsense feel of a special or a sparkle jet, but with a touch more class.

I need to find a cover for that bridge pickup.

maybe she needs a silver sparkle refinish...

GrumpyOldDBA

Reaction score
I hardly pickup any of my gibsons any more.

The PRS quality is very good. The 85/15 pickups are sweet.

I have started to develop a preference for guitars with one volume knob and one tone knob yikes!

The SE models are very good the S2 models are sweeter!

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
I hardly pickup any of my gibsons any more.

The PRS quality is very good. The 85/15 pickups are sweet.

I have started to develop a preference for guitars with one volume knob and one tone knob yikes!

The SE models are very good the S2 models are sweeter!

This one has a Tremonti pickup in the bridge, I had to look up who he was.

if she turns out to be a keeper she may get controls like my Les Paul..

Single volume, single tone, switch moved, and kill switch.

there is another kill switch in the original toggle position, but in the future I’ll use a plug.

Beery Swine

Reaction score
I actually just got a 2007 SC 245 that's seen a good bit of wear and tear a few days ago. It has a kind of burnt cherry sunburst finish, like not quite that black vintage sunburst, so you can still tell it's red. Plays great, but I was surprised at the neck profile. I have an SE 245 and a McCarty to compare it to. Both those guitars have the wide fat neck, and feel identical apart from the finish. The SC feels like it has a fatter bump in the middle, like it's slightly more circular than ovally. Not a bad neck, but I'm getting used to it.

I've had this SE Soapbar 1 one for close to two years now and am still under its spell. I love its full thick wide neck. P90s are as nice as top of the line boutiques I've had and ... it's light.

Love it.
For some reason I didn't know they made P90 SEs. I've been wanting to try out a P90 guitar for awhile now. I should probably just go down to the local music shop and check a few out some time.

67King

Reaction score
I traded a 58RI Tele for a CE-22. 2002, and actually has a one off prototype pickup that was developed for Ted Nugent. Was happy initially, because I just couldn't get comfortable with the Tele. But the novelty wore off, and I just don't connect with it. I find the Wide Fat neck profile to be uncomfortable, as well. Had it on consignment for a year, and it didnt' sell, so now it is up on Reverb.

I wouldn't mind a Santana (core). I looked at the S2 Mira before picking up my second SG. I liked the S2 Vela a bit. But overall, there just isn't that "thing" there that is with the Gibsons. Right now, my favorite "other brand" guitar is the new American Ultra Tele. Best feeling neck out there, compound radius, D-profile. Man it plays well. Will be replacing the PRS if I get it sold.

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
I have to agree with 67King above. No matter which model I try and play with, I just don't feel I could bond with it. Nice guitars, beautiful fit finish, yadda yadda yadda… just Not for me.

GrumpyOldDBA

Reaction score
Hey peeps if you missed out on getting one of these beauties its on you but i have mine. Think you can find on reverb!! Plays as good as it looks maybe better?
DBD276BF-1877-4AB1-BB21-CB082E786B81.jpeg

Chubbles

Reaction score
When they had a Santana (4 I think) reunion, his guitar looked very much like an LP, but he still had an agreement with PRS. It looked like an Les Paul with gold foil. I love his tone he had back in those old Gibby days.
Carlos-Santana-web-Credit-Maryanne-Bilham-1.jpg
I saw him on the Supernatural tour. My wife bought the tickets for my b-day. When the local news called him a "Guitar God", a tear came to my eye. I've been a fan for so many years.

Last edited:

Latest posts