Putting A PC together.........

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vic108, Dec 1, 2007.

1. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=sgtbeefheart]
    Also the spell checker made me put a Z in realised, shirley, that can't be right.
    [/quote]

It could very well be right..........................and don't call me Shirley ;D

2. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=Voxman link=topic=15748.msg201039#msg201039 date=1196559347]
    I use Bose speakers on my puter ... and for puter recording I use KRK w/ a sub :)
    [/quote]

those KRK seem to be the brand GC is pushing lately. i have their sub and combined with the event project 8's im running off my mackie, my pc system will bust up stuff in the house...!

3. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

and once i'm on XP = SKYPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got 3 more boxes coming by UPS tomorrow!

4. 1Way

1Way Active Member

VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK ,,, my friend. :D We've sorta been wondering some basic info about what you would like to do with the pc. :coolsmiley: So where do you think you might fit on this scale?

0 5 10
    listening to music burn/store CD/MP3 audio and/or video
    games, email sound card line in independent or
    girls with SGs or mic recording home studio

Do you already have a recording unit/interface/microphone?

BTW, that was mighty nice of CB. Send him my best regards, and happy holidays! 8)

5. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

burn CDs, home studio........and the regular stuff.

6. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Vic,

That puts you in the 9 or 10 area on 1way's scale...
    More memory and a bigger HD are needed. It will surprise you just how fast that 80 GB gets full. ;)

7. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

yah Spunky-san....i may be sending the mem back [at least]
    for two 1 gig sticks......YAY!~

8. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=15748.msg201280#msg201280 date=1196862048]
    Vic,

It will surprise you just how fast that 80 GB gets full. ;)
    [/quote]
    Yea, I bought a 250 gb external HD to copy ....... I mean backup my friends music library and it filled it up. Now it sits in my closet for the past year. Funny thing is that I get too overwhelmed by the amount of music on it that it would proably take a day to select some music and burn a CD. (For backup purposes of course) :angel:

9. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

nothing much to add to what has already been said. I do strongly agree with getting as much storage as you can afford. It is simply amazing how fast a hard drive can fill up these days. My current 3 year old dell desktop started with a 40 gig hard drive and it filled up in no time. Upgrades are cheap and easy and you never have too much storage. In fact I had to add an extra external drive just to store music stuff. Those are even easier. Just plug it in basically.

10. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

quote]it would proably take a day to select some music and burn a CD.[/quote]

These days, the new PCs use SATA DVD burners that burn CDs and dual layer DVDs for less than $30.00.
    I've started backing up my music with DVDs as they hold over 4 GB instead of 700MB.

The home studio problem is that you can multitrack as many track as you like. Add automation to the mix and I usually end up with 36 + tracks coming in and out of the final and lots of volume and effects added or changed during the mix. So you have 1 song say at 3:20 minutes and 36 tracks that are 3:20 minutes each. You want to keep the full tracks but only use say 20 seconds of a track in a lead double or an added conga in a couple of areas. it great to automate the entry and exit so you can build the final mix but the disk space that the .wav files takes up is huge. One song with 36 tracks complete could easity be 100MB and may approach 1GB. I do some video and edit scenes into a short story. Add the background musical score and there is a 10 or 15 GB file that needs to be rendered into an Mpeg2 DVD. After a while you find you are running low on swap space.

Even if you are installing programs onto say D:> drive, there is still a program stub installed onto C:> drive for "Program Files". I now am using a 150GB partition c:> for boot and program files with the 2nd 350GB partition for "downloads" and document storage.
    The 2nd 500GB drive is for video and music only and all 3 drives/partitions have virtual memory enabled as it seems to run faster that way.

CB is a generous guy and you are lucky to have him as a friend. You have a great PC now for what you are going to use it for. I think you can live with the video as long as it supports 16:9 format at 1680 x 1050 to take advantage of the widescreen monitor. Go with a single partition on the 80GB HD as there is no point in partitioning it.

11. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

the rest of the newegg boxes came today!

WHEW! that 22 inch wide screen looks damn yummy!
    (just think what it'll look like plugged in)

<grn>

12. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Don't forget to make a permanent safe place for all the CD's, security and authentication codes, manuals, etc. Also safe keep purchase receipt, just in case. ;)

13. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=15748.msg201293#msg201293 date=1196873598]
    quote]it would proably take a day to select some music and burn a CD.

These days, the new PCs use SATA DVD burners that burn CDs and dual layer DVDs for less than $30.00.
    I've started backing up my music with DVDs as they hold over 4 GB instead of 700MB.

The home studio problem is that you can multitrack as many track as you like. Add automation to the mix and I usually end up with 36 + tracks coming in and out of the final and lots of volume and effects added or changed during the mix. So you have 1 song say at 3:20 minutes and 36 tracks that are 3:20 minutes each. You want to keep the full tracks but only use say 20 seconds of a track in a lead double or an added conga in a couple of areas. it great to automate the entry and exit so you can build the final mix but the disk space that the .wav files takes up is huge. One song with 36 tracks complete could easity be 100MB and may approach 1GB. I do some video and edit scenes into a short story. Add the background musical score and there is a 10 or 15 GB file that needs to be rendered into an Mpeg2 DVD. After a while you find you are running low on swap space.

Even if you are installing programs onto say D:> drive, there is still a program stub installed onto C:> drive for "Program Files". I now am using a 150GB partition c:> for boot and program files with the 2nd 350GB partition for "downloads" and document storage.
    The 2nd 500GB drive is for video and music only and all 3 drives/partitions have virtual memory enabled as it seems to run faster that way.

CB is a generous guy and you are lucky to have him as a friend. You have a great PC now for what you are going to use it for. I think you can live with the video as long as it supports 16:9 format at 1680 x 1050 to take advantage of the widescreen monitor. Go with a single partition on the 80GB HD as there is no point in partitioning it.
    [/quote]

YAH, I hope to take full advantage of what I'm going to be putting together.
    the biggest screen i've ever really worked on is a 17 inch - this should be great!

14. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

whew!
    some things it seems i should tackle on the weekend!
    being so stressed at work, i wasn't thinking so clear.
    my zeal over shadowed my knowledge and experience!

made a few simple mistakes getting this together.
    tonight, we install drives!

15. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

well, night before last was a marathon. I got burned out
    and started feeling like poo. So, I took it easy last night
    and only hooked up the power supply and front case leads,
    and monitor for a non-bootable check. All worked fine and
    this weekend, the drives go in.

Weird, I didn't think you could do anything without the HD in!
    But CB steered me thru it!

16. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Alright Vic, good call. No need to rush on something like this. Glad to hear you max’ed the ram, you won’t be sorry especially with studio projects and such.

Hard drives
    For fast and smoother hard drive operation, I suggest 1-keep the unused portion as large as possible, 2-don't opt to use file compression and 3-keep all the drives defragmented and optimized (physically relocate files toward outer disk portion for faster I/O speed). Also, by using more than one hard drive, each additional HD reduces overall I/O bottleneck jams improving operation efficiencies. Getting rid of bottlenecks is very good especially while you are recording. Some food for thought.

TWO HD's
    1-OS, software programs (optional: virtual RAM/cache files)
    2-recording files (optional: virtual RAM/cache files)

THREE
    1-OS
    2-recording files
    3-software programs and virtual RAM/cache files

FOUR
    1-OS
    2-recording files
    3-software programs
    4-virtual RAM/cache files

Here's a link from Sweetwater, they do alot of recording aside from being a music store. Lots of helpful vids too. CLICK HERE FOR Sweetwater PC studio examples.

17. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

thought it would be all fired up today but I got:

bootable device not found

damn, brand new drive is making a clicking noise............

18. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

its toast

bastards :( >:(

19. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... yah think?

20. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=vic108 link=topic=15748.msg201537#msg201537 date=1197175136]

thought it would be all fired up today but I got:

bootable device not found

damn, brand new drive is making a clicking noise............
    [/quote]

If its making a repeated clicking pattern, then Phil is probably right, that happened to one of my computers and it was a fried drive.