Putting A PC together.........

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vic108, Dec 1, 2007.

1. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

poo!~

another set back!

2. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

i had an IBM hard drive that was a secondary drive but it would do that clicking and not be 'seen'. i had tons of music and photos on it so i was really sweating that one out. when it was readable i would transfer data to a new drive while i could but it was irratic and took a lot of time to do. it progressively got worse and worse but i did eventually get it all off thank god. i tossed it after that as it was just out of warrenty.

it was a drive i got at a computer store at a very low price but after that experience i decided you get what you pay for when it comes to drives so i never scrimped on price for those after that.

yeap

i think my days of putting together frankenstein boxes are done too. did it now i know how to do it but the next one i buy will be a well matched assembled one good to go outta the box. those sweetwater systems oneway pointed out look very interesting to me. maybe in the spring when the bonuses come in... 8)

3. 1Way

1Way Active Member

You can sometimes get another good spin or two by freezing, especially for Western Digital or any hard drive where the physical machinery starts clicking but still sporadically works. Remove the hard drive, seal in plastic baggy, wrap damp hand towel around sealed hard drive, place in freezer for about 2+ hours, reinstall and use immediately. The idea presented is that the barrings firm up and don't overheat as fast allowing slightly extended use.

Good luck and happy holidays!

4. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

The term for the motor not having enough inertia to spin the disk (platter) from a stop is called stiction.
    I usually give the drive a good thump to get it to start turning. The head will be in a retracted position so no worry about the head or data.

I've never heard about the freeze method but I see a potential problem. Since the drive is not hermetically sealed, it has some moisture in it from being balanced to the outside air. Thus if the drive does spin up the "flying head" which is riding on .5 microinches may come into contact with an ice crystal on the platter and cause a head crash destroying data and the platter surface.

The clicking problem is usually associated with a head mechanism problem and the platter is already spinning at the proper speed. The head mechanism keeps trying to reset and cannot.

5. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=15748.msg201572#msg201572 date=1197236182]

I've never heard about the freeze method but I see a potential problem. Since the drive is not hermetically sealed, it has some moisture in it from being balanced to the outside air. Thus if the drive does spin up the "flying head" which is riding on .5 microinches may come into contact with an ice crystal on the platter and cause a head crash destroying data and the platter surface.

...[/quote]
    I fully agree that it's not good to just stick an unprotected HD in the freezer say for over 3 hours because of problems you mention. So I guess the suggestion is to sufficiently cool without freezing. I might be mistaken about using the damp towel bit. I'm certain the HD was sealed in a plastic bag. They might have suggested something else to wrap around it like maybe some newspaper inside the plastic bad and around the entire HD (probably to keep the moisture down). Maybe it's for 1-2 hours, it's been a few years since I heard this, but it came from a very reliable source that it can and does help extend some spin time if the symptoms are typical WD failure, i.e. physical clicking and then crashing and then ultimating dying. Might only get you 5 mins extra, but when your desperate, every bit helps. ;)

6. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

1-way,

The damp towel is not the problem as you have the drive in a sealed plastic bag. The moisture is already in the drive and in the bag. I don't know how long it would take to freeze the moisture or if any would freeze on the platter or not. Just a worry...
    I think about bearings and bushings as being more free when heated. I have had to freeze a bushing once and quickly heat the outside with a torch to get is free one time. I don't think that'll work in a HD...lol

If a disk is not spinning up it is usually because the motor does not have the torque to get the inertia to start the platter spinning. This was common on Seagate 225 drives with the spring loaded heads. Heck, we had one of those running for 6 months straight with the cover removed. It was cool to watch it run and the head mechanism moving.

Modern drives are a totally different animal and I'd never crack the cover on one.
    There is some good info here.
    http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/op/heads/opHeight.html

7. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=Spunky link=topic=15748.msg201575#msg201575 date=1197238862]
    1-way,

I think about bearings and bushings as being more free when heated. I have had to freeze a bushing once and quickly heat the outside with a torch to get is free one time. I don't think that'll work in a HD...lol

[/quote]
    You got it, so you don't want it to warm back up too quickly. But, (and although it need not be said, you are a sharp cookie) at the same time it needs to be functional enough to start spinning. As you said, sometimes a timely jiggle at the beginning of bootup can make all the difference in the world. I think during this approaching frozen state status, one might expect the fresh cold hard drive to make no strange clicking sound, or reduced clicking sound, until later as it the sound gets worse as it warms up and nears failing temp. Friction=heat, more friction=more heat, too much heat=stress failure. Kudo's for this tip (however sketchy it was delivered ;D ) goes to our local PC user group tech gurus.

Had another freezer saves the day tip from my collage days. This guy went thru some rigorous Apple certification course and solved something no one else had. It was a bad video card trace that was not visible to the naked eye. ... Until you place it in an open baggy and place that in a freezer until it does freeze over. Then after you take it out, the cracked board section is (somehow) more visible. I didn't see him do it, but he explained it in detail. This sort of micro fracture discovery can help determine what is or is not salvageable prior to electronic probes, etc. ;) Safety first, be careful about stressing things when in colder state, might snap things worse.

8. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

so, the original HD I bought made a ticking sound - so, back it goes. I got my credit for the part but ran out of funds to complete everything - so it sat on the dinning room table for a few weeks. Finally got the funds and ordered a new Seagate HD and also 2 gigs of memory. Put the HD and memory in today. All woks OK and now, I gotta install the OS = XP when I get the disks. Also got a wireless adapter to mesh with my wireless router - so soon I hope to get this beast fired up!

9. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

yer on the home stretch vic

xp media center?

10. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

xp pro

is that ok?

11. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

wow very nice

im running the media center version on all three of my machines, without much issue on two of them (both dell ironically)

i have a driver issue with a soundcard and the OS on the frankenstein box, one i have not really put effort in resolving right now but im sure can be resolved once i get my mind wrapped around doing it (im pretty damn lazy these days)

12. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

whoops i take that back... my laptop has pro on it! wtf?? i just looked at the system info (i am trying to see if there is any multi monitor support in the video chipset) and low and behold -- pro! i guess if i knew it i forgot it.

13. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

You guys think you have problems.....
    The wife put this Chinese software on my PC and all the menus, calendar dates and time etc. changed to Japanese/Korean/Thai and Chinese.
    Took me 2 hours to undo the damage and reload SP2 to get it all working again.....watta pain in the de arse!

Now I've ordered a Dell 531S for her and I'll install XP Pro....the Chinese version.......Yikes.....
    I have 2 copies of Chinese XP Pro SP2 here she brought. What a freaking nightmare.....

14. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

poor Spunky-san..........

Here's the build:

[img width=518 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/vic108/GEAR/new_pc.jpg[/img]

[img width=294 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/vic108/GEAR/new_tower.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=453]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/vic108/GEAR/new_monitor.jpg[/img]

15. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

lets see the guts of the thing! and the back.

pop a second vid card and go the dual monitor route

im ready to set up a dual or even three monitor docking station for the laptop, researching my options now

it spoils you fast

16. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Phil,

The monitor is great! Viewing the internet last ;)
    night for the first time with this is wonderful!
    My last TV (until I bought my flat-screen HDTV in 2007)
    wasn't as big as this monitor! I couldn't image 2 monitors!

I installed the wireless adapter last night too. Nice to be
    able to use the PC with one less wire laying around!

one trouble: the wireless mouse lights up but doesn't
    seem to connect to the system.............any ideas? :-\

17. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

this may sound stupid but did you plug in the antanna thingy for the mouse in the USB slot? and when you plugd it in what happened?

18. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

yah, what i thought was an led was a very small button
    on the sender - now it works fine - ty!

19. snodly

snodly New Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=15748.msg200997#msg200997 date=1196531076]
    I have a 22" widescreen........You'll love it ! I don't even have to put on my glasses anymore!! ;D
    [/quote]

Yea I just upgraded my monitor to a 22" Wide screen, and i love it. Way better than the old 17" hunk of junk. :D

20. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

yah, 22 inch wide screen is incredible!

just ordered a video card from NEWEGG because
    my intergrated video set-up wasn't cutting it for COD4