Putting A PC together.........

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vic108, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    Big macs don't work nearly as good as kittens, but they're cheaper.

2. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

[size=12pt]So, what do I need to do to REALLY TRICK THIS BABY OUT?[/size]

SUGGESTIONS!!!! PLEASE!!!

3. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

to trick it out? hmmm how about light up fans?
    http://www.xoxide.com/coldcathodes.html ;)

to really trick it out have a look at different cases and different motherboards, the new quad core processors are really fast, as are the new ddr4 memory so check em out

ive tried quad core computers they are awesome defiantly worth investment

4. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Veek!
    Please restipulate the composite organizational repository of extravigant high techness to which you refer.

In other words, give a run down list of your main components in your PC system, including OS version.

Perhaps also indicate how you spread things out if you have more than one hard drive, like
    C: = OS and system swap file (<-suggest manual setting vrs dynamicly/automatically set)
    D: = music programs and storage

Keep your drives defraged by a good defrag program.

Anyone know of a decent system analist website to see if he has any significant I/O bottlenecks or underperformance issues that might be settings or outdated device drivers? Something like that 'might' swank up his machine without much cost. :) Hope this is not redundant stuff, only scanned a few pages.

5. ESSER

ESSER Active Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=15748.msg207546#msg207546 date=1204681487]
    Veek!

Anyone know of a decent system analist website
    [/quote]

Is there something you want to tell us Dwayne? :-X

6. kick

kick Member

why would anyone want to pimp up their computer???? ???

7. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=kick link=topic=15748.msg207555#msg207555 date=1204686204]
    why would anyone want to pimp up their computer???? ???
    [/quote]

Cause they can ?

8. kick

kick Member

ok but who cares!? :D

the sound and sights sure i can understand but to put neon lights on it [tower]seems not needed with all the lights in front of you on a screen!

9. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=kick link=topic=15748.msg207558#msg207558 date=1204686356]

the sound and sights sure i can understand but to put neon lights on it [tower]seems not needed with all the lights in front of you on a screen!
    [/quote]

Then don't do it to your computer ;)

10. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

1way had it right......

Veek, lets revisit where you are hardware wise and OS installed.
    Then we can put our collective heads together and maybe get some more performance outta dis beyotch!

11. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=kick link=topic=15748.msg207558#msg207558 date=1204686356]

[/quote]

[​IMG]

12. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

here's the details............

http://mysite.verizon.net/vic108/id13.html

Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Intel BOXD945GCNL LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel MB

Intel Pentium 4 631 Cedar Mill 3.0GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Single-Core Processor

2 CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory sticks

XFX PVT84JYAJG GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM IDE 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

Rosewill Stallion Series Dual Ball Bearing Fan RD600N-2DC-SL-SLV ATX V2.2/SSI, EPS 12V 600W Active PFC Power Supply-SLI Ready, Auto Switching

Rosewill R604-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower

13. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

[quote author=1Way link=topic=15748.msg201448#msg201448 date=1197057374]
    Alright Vic, good call. No need to rush on something like this. Glad to hear you max’ed the ram, you won’t be sorry especially with studio projects and such.

Hard drives
    For fast and smoother hard drive operation, I suggest 1-keep the unused portion as large as possible, 2-don't opt to use file compression and 3-keep all the drives defragmented and optimized (physically relocate files toward outer disk portion for faster I/O speed). Also, by using more than one hard drive, each additional HD reduces overall I/O bottleneck jams improving operation efficiencies. Getting rid of bottlenecks is very good especially while you are recording. Some food for thought.

TWO HD's
    1-OS, software programs (optional: virtual RAM/cache files)
    2-recording files (optional: virtual RAM/cache files)

THREE
    1-OS
    2-recording files
    3-software programs and virtual RAM/cache files

FOUR
    1-OS
    2-recording files
    3-software programs
    4-virtual RAM/cache files

Here's a link from Sweetwater, they do alot of recording aside from being a music store. Lots of helpful vids too. CLICK HERE FOR Sweetwater PC studio examples.
    [/quote]

OK, let's expand on this please. Would 2 HD's really speed things up?
    One for OS and one for other stuff? How's this work?

Also, dual-core is that much better than single-core?
    A 2.0 Dual-core is better than a 3.0 single-core?
    Please explain...............!

Great insights folks! Keep them coming!

14. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=15748.msg207572#msg207572 date=1204695220]
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

x 1mol

15. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    [quote author=vic108 link=topic=15748.msg207619#msg207619 date=1204736168]

OK, let's expand on this please. Would 2 HD's really speed things up?
    One for OS and one for other stuff? How's this work?

Also, dual-core is that much better than single-core?
    A 2.0 Dual-core is better than a 3.0 single-core?
    Please explain...............!

Great insights folks! Keep them coming!
    [/quote]

2 Hard drives In RAID 0 or 1 can speed things up a LOT. And yes a Core 2 duo/quad/extreme CPU is def. better than almost all single core.

16. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Esser, maybe that’s why some of my girlfriends suggest that I spend too much time analizing with them...
    :shocked: :crazy2:

Butt seriously, opppppppppppppppppppps! That’s what I get for not checking with the spell checker, thanks for the clue in! I’ll get it right yet, know worries. ;)

17. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Thanks Spunkiness, how’s the amp building coming along for ya? Wishing you and yours the very best, I’m always keeping an eye on ya. ;)

As for those who wonder why try to,,, enhanse our PC's, it's because sometimes little otherwise unknown "issues" can become effective dissapointements that could be remedied given the correct fix. A bad thing in studio audio PC's is latency, which is a factor for how well your studio pc is setup/configured. Playback latency can become a problem, but not so much depending on the type of device that you are feeding your PC with your music, like if it has some onboard processing in it, then you can listen to that instead of listen to your sound via your pc sound card AFTER it has been processed for recording onto your hard drive. That way you can get a decent guitar sound and listen to it without it taking a half second or more for it to respond after you play it. Which can be very disturbing to your playing/timing efforts.
    Or
    If you are recording using a mic, then you will probably just listen to that instead of what is being processed and recorded, but using mics is more of a pro studio but it tends to be more authentic live guitar sounds, but is a bit more expensive and tougher to setup well, but some may well prefer this route.

It's easier to just plug into a prefered guitar processor slash pc interface like a Line6 Pod X3 or something similar, but it will be digital effects instead of micing authentic guitar and amp sounds, but fortunately they have made some really decent sound improvements for such devices in recent times, and if you go that way, it's simpler to setup, typically cheaper on the pocketbook, and you get zero lag time (zero or near zero latency) as you can just send a signal out from that unit to an amp and speakers to listen directly to what is going to be sent to the pc to be recorded. That is the prefered way to listen to yourself while recording, go toward zero or near zero latency.

However, the cheapest is to plug your guitar into whatever you pc audio interface is, and let the PC simulate amplifiers and mics and room space, etc, but unless your PC is quite efficient, you may suffer some latency issues, especially if you use your PC to also play the backing track while you are recording. So I suggest to play whatever inspires you while your playing via some other means to keep the information handling load lower for your PC.

Try researching a video PC studio
    If you think doing audio can be challenging, try setting up your PC for a video studio! LOL, I've done a little reasearch there, forgot most of it, but it pays to examine those who are doing what you'd like to do and then some. That's probably where I was converted from raid to segragation, but I spent most of my time at a home pc audio recording forum (or two).
    :coolsmiley:
    Plus if you really like music and recording, you have a certain amount of pride and joy (thanks SRV, we miss ya) that you'd like to share with others, which might help others better understand about the benefits you enjoy by using your musical creative expansion machine.

Put more simply, if it's cool, then why not make it look cool as well! 8)

Anyway, I will try to give this a better overview in good time, however I suggest that there are some more "up to date" and knowledgeable PC tech types in this crowd who may know better how to streamline one's PC's performance and answer some of Veek's specific questions. But I will say that processing power is always good to increase wherever affordable as they handle the computations better and the newer processors tend to have improved multimedia capability built in. I tend to consider the price to benefit/utility curve. Basically, if you buy the newest and greatest, you will pay top dollar and that sorta sucks. If you are doing ok the way it is and can wait till that fast/better processor becomes priced like last year’s model, then you tend to save some coin while not suffering too badly in performance. Discover what is the fasted CPU you can put into your motherboard as you usually want to target that version when it's price becomes attractive enough to get it (perhaps 9-15 months after it’s released). After that chip becomes a year old, it might cost “half” of what it did when it first came out, so ride the price/performance curve game, and win! ;)

18. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Red devil
    I used to think that raid 0 could help alot O0, that was how I set up my last/current pc, and it is faster for loading programs like fat and wide windows startup, but after learning more from those who run audio and video recording forums, I've learned that raid-0 is not as good as splitting up your two or more hard drives for OS away from your recording programs because you get I/O hits from both critical programs during significant multimedia intensive tasks, and it's typically those I/O bottlenecks involved with the hard drive reads and writes that slow you down, so when you separate the OS (and perhaps it's gigantic swap file) away from the music studio programs (and their large swap files), you get less bottlenecks happening than when you put them together in Raid 0, which otherwise is the faster I/O highway "IF" you are only doing highly consecutive I/O calls. But evidently they get stacked on top of each other and tend to present way more I/O HD slow downs than if you played it safer and split the OS away from the studio programs.

Veek
    So to answer Veek's question about how best to use two or more hard drives, although I used to agree with Red devil, apparently it's said to be considerably better to run your hard drives like normal, but put the OS separate from the music studio programs, and if possible, if you have a third hard drive, put user selectable swap files there as well as any unused storage for things like finished multimedia files so that you don't overcrowd the other hard drives, which is easy to do!

More hard drives ='s less crowding on each
    Plus faster read write performance!
    This sort of hard drive segregation also gives you a direct speed increase by automatically putting the majority of your files way out there on the largest/farthest part of the platters, which are faster portions of the hard drive which lends to faster hard drive performance as compared to a hard drive that is closer to full instead of being closer to empty. :)

So segregate the OS from programs for improved I/O performance. But don't discount all Raid versions as I understand some has been well improved over the years, but just be careful to not rely on Raid 0 just because it boasts a nearly "twice as fast/wide I/O path" which at times can be very nice, however effectively it is only theoretically true, apparently it is not functionally true especially for multimedia intensive tasks like a music/video studio PC.
    :)

19. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Sorry so long, hopefully it is still helpful. Occasionally I can be a really deep thinker/studier, and brevity is an art form that I would like to improve upon sometime. Well, then there’s my proclivity toward procrastination as well.
    :roll:

20. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

if yer going the route of multiple drives make sure you got a hefty power supply and cooling