putting in serious work with the metronome

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by AngusMadeMeDoIt, Jan 1, 2015.

1. AngusMadeMeDoIt

AngusMadeMeDoIt Well-Known Member

Around July I decided that I finally wanted to put in serious time and clean up my alternate picking technique. I was worried because I've seen a lot of people say that some people just can't play fast/dont have the fast twitch muscles etc to develop substantial speed. Well that ended up being bullpoop. I was playing 16ths around 120bpm and in less than six months I'm already up to 160bpm. I'm still not a speed demon by any means but that is a monster jump and I'm happy with it. So I guess I'm just saying two things:
    1- Don't get discouraged....hard work pays off! You can achieve your goals. It's all in your hands LITERALLY. Put the time in and reap the rewards.
    2- Get a metronome. They are great!

Happy new year. Now let me eat some of those zakk wylde solos for breakfast! :D

LeadFinger likes this.
  2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

The timing thing is interesting. Your timing may increase or decrease slightly depending on the mood/ feeling of the band at the time and who starts it off. I one of my cases I use a DR 880 drum machine so there is never a change in tempo when we play it. It makes it cool because you have consistency. We do "The Highway Song" by Blackfoot and start it at 125 bpm and ramp it up thru the lead to end the song at 175 bpm. The transition is really cool.

The met is cool for those that have an issue with tempo but I would suggest not getting so used to it that you can't play without it. Every song has a feeling and sometimes the intensity of the song can (should) push the tempo. For me, an example is the 1st half of the last verse in "Turn The Page". A live drummer can push the tempo there but I need to put more push in the vocal to compensate for no tempo increase by the drums. Takes some getting used to... but it works. :thumb:

AngusMadeMeDoIt likes this.
  3. oldleftySG

oldleftySG Active Member

The metronome is a strict taskmaster.

Crazy_8, Tazz3 and AngusMadeMeDoIt like this.
  4. AngusMadeMeDoIt

AngusMadeMeDoIt Well-Known Member

Oh don't get me wrong Six String. I only spend a part of my practice time with the 'nome. I'm really into composing and writing my own tunes. It's nice to have a balance. The last half of 2014 was a huge step forward for me.....I think I started tapping into my voice and developing who I am as a player. It was just daunting for me at first because as a player of 18 years we sometimes get stuck in our ways and start to worry and question if we can learn new tricks or fix years sloppy habits. The answer is yes. Yes we can!

Six String likes this.
  5. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Yes Angus you are correct about the rut thing and its good to go out of the box and away from your style etc and try learning something
    different for sure/ After 2 years back I was feeling the same and thinking I progressed along okay and then kinda rutted out this year's
    end so I just started pushing myself a lot harder and doing some alternate
    tuning something I wasn't doing before as I felt I had just came back and needed as much practice in standard as I could get for awhile.
    But yes anything that helps your progress is a very good thing.
    But man I cant stand them gnomes I don't want them even in my yard
    must less inside the house! LOL:ohno:
    frankd

AngusMadeMeDoIt likes this.
  6. Tazz3

Tazz3 Active Member

I have to get one of these and start cracking down on my particeing

7. oldleftySG

oldleftySG Active Member

If the metrognome is too scary you can start off with the more user-friendly countrygnome and work your way up to it...

VanDerchuck likes this.
  8. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I dont know why I find this so funny, but LOL!
    I was using it at first with scales, but found it distracting. I was / am focusing on clean fretting and picking at fastest speed I can without sacrificing accuracy.

Sometimes I use it just to practice dialing my temp to something else with the scales.
    I do use it to practice tempo while strumming chords, especially upstrums on the half-beat.