Question about 2011 SG Jr. pickup...

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Texasgreg, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Texasgreg

Texasgreg New Member

I recently got a mint, like new in box, condition gloss black 2011 SG Jr. guitar from the original owner. Still has all the plastic on the guitar and pickups. Doesn't have any fretboard wear. Wish I was better at posting pics but I'm old.

I originally intended to purchase it with the specific intent of installing a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge pickup I ordered at the same time. I really like the PG pickups.

Everything I can find online says this guitar came with a 700T pickup.

I have owned two previous Epiphone SG's, one a 2000 beginner model and the other a 2007 400 gloss black. the 2000 sounded good, the 2007 sounded great, but this SG Jr. sounds absolutely monster. Clean to dirty depending on what it's run through but I am more impressed with that 700T than I am with the 490s in my Gibson SG Tribute, which has the circuitboard electronics.

I do plan to change that circuitboard out in my Gibson Tribute for real caps and pots, and a upgrade switch and jack since I'm in there.

But for now my question to those who might know is whether the 700T is similar in design to the 490? All of the epi SGs I've owned have had excellent necks and construction. This one is no different. But this pickup is so great I've decided just to leave it as is instead of putting the PG in. It sounds that good to me.

I have a fair amount of MIA guitars, Fender and Gibson, as well as asian built guitars. Never have I had a guitar that cost so little (I paid $199) and sounded, well, as good as my expensive guitars.

I'll add the seller had the original soft case, box and "case candy", including an Epi poster and bumper sticker. That really doesn't matter with a guitar of this value for resale, cuz I don't see myself selling it anytime soon.

2. Texasgreg

Texasgreg New Member

I did some checking and ran the serial number. It comes back to February, 2007 out of the Saejun, China factory. It is possible the seller I got it from obtained new it in 2011, as he recalled, but I know there was another issue of the SG Jr. in matte black in 2011.

I can't find it on the epiphonewiki, but I'll add that I couldn't find a listing for the exact 2000 SG special I bought new at Mars Music for my daughter in 2000. I found several listings that could be the black 2007 SG G-400 (not sure which G-400 series) that I bought used in pristine condition. Gloss ebony, nickel hardware and pickup covers, trapezoid fret inlay markers.

So maybe this SG Jr has the same 700T pickup other Jr's have or perhaps a generic "humbucker pickup". Whatever it is, it rocks and I got a good one. The wiring person was having a great day, as the pots make zero noise, are smooth with some resistance (rare for some cheap guitars) and a have a good audio taper.

I've been into playing one pickup guitars lately, and this one is really a winner.

3. HiclassHoboSG

HiclassHoboSG New Member

I’ve got an 2011 SG Special with 700T /650Rin it. The 700T is a decent sound pickup, that being said I’m still going to swap them out for a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge and a Bareknuckle Brute force in the neck.

4. HiclassHoboSG

HiclassHoboSG New Member

If you’re digging the sound you’re getting from it then keep on rockin with it.

Go Nigel Go likes this.