Question for the married guys.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by bradsure, May 9, 2009.

1. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Yep, they try! Cause all they see when they look at it is a trip to Puerto Rico or new living room furniture! ;D

3. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Vox is right...... they try. But you must be firm.

....... but on the otherhand, when you and the wife never get rid of things, you end up with all the closets, the garage, the shed, two storage units and any other space available filled with things you can't do without.

4. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I think the secret (at least it has worked for me) is compromise. My wife knows I love my guitar stuff. I know she loves shoes and purses. So I get to keep my guitar stuff and she gets to have 50 pairs of shoes and a few purses that cost waaaaaaaaaay too much money. I did decide to reel in my collection a few years ago though. Instead of having a couple dozen soso guitars, I decided to sell off a bunch of them and use that money to buy 5 really nice guitars. Has worked out pretty well for me. To keep myself from letting the guitar collection get out of hand again, I have a self imposed rule that if I want a new guitar, I sell an old guitar to help pay for it and make some space. Now my guitar collection is a bit higher than 5 guitars but not nearly the 20+ I used to have. My latest problem though is I keep searching for the perfect tube amp. My amp collection is starting to grow. Guess I will have to come up with a max amps rule too.

5. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

6. Voxman

Any time you give in you are expected to give in the same amount for the rest of your life! ;)

7. Six String

SAME AMOUNT? I thought it was a little more each time....................! ;D

8. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=Six String link=topic=19210.msg232645#msg232645 date=1241874891]
    Vox is right...... they try. But you must be firm.

....... but on the otherhand, when you and the wife never get rid of things, you end up with all the closets, the garage, the shed, two storage units and any other space available filled with things you can't do without.
    [/quote]

Is this comment coming from first hand experience 6er? ;D

9. Six String

................ ahhhhhhh, now that you mention it.................. :-\

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Hell, my wife's a drummer and she STILL keeps an eye on how many guitars I have!

11. Six String

[quote author=dbb link=topic=19210.msg232751#msg232751 date=1242018493]
    Hell, my wife's a drummer and she STILL keeps an eye on how many guitars I have!
    [/quote]

Sounds like a double motive to me: "fewer guitars.... more drums" ;D ;D ;D

12. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

You all sound like you have great marriages. Congrats! :notworthy: Anyone have to go through the big D?
    My girlfriend and I were watching a commercial the other day and it showed a couple breaking up. Next scene it showed the guy at work and his girlfriend at the pawnshop selling his guitars. I look over at my girlfriend and she has this devious smile. They shouldn't have stuff like that on TV. A few minutes later she’s asking me when we are we going to get a marriage license. :-X

13. sgSter

sgSter Member

Comes down to communication and priorities. Definition of those may be different everyone. Much depends on situation e.g. D.I.N.C., S.I.N.C., D.I.W.C., S.I.W.C. etc

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=Six String link=topic=19210.msg232756#msg232756 date=1242042212]
    Sounds like a double motive to me: "fewer guitars.... more drums" ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Naw, she is happy with the same 5 piece kit she's had forever, and has the same set of Zildjians from the early 80's!
    I think she figures if I buy less gear and save the money we can go on a nice vacation or something.
    I'm not complaining, we've been married almost 29 years.

15. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

My sweet little China Doll gained about 25 pounds and gave up on even mentioning anything about my guitar collection.
    In fact I started building more guitars until she shut up about it. I told her it was this or the bars.....

Now I'm pushing flying lessons and an experimental home built fully aerobatic airplane with folding wings that I'll keep in the garage. I only have to buy a house first....I'm putting together the property settlement papers to take my ex to the cleaners on that front.
    Here comes the sky...

16. oldrockfan

Spunk, if you get an airplane I will officially hate you! When they passed the light sport aircraft rules, I was very tempted to get myself one and get back into flying. However with the economy sucking wind and two boys who will be in college soon, I can't swing it financially. If you get an airplane, be sure to share some pics!

Oh and if you ever start doing cross country trips in the plane, maybe you can make a stop in dallas sometime. I'd love a chance to check out a homebuilt aircraft up close.

17. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

You got a deal there ORF.
    I plan to fly all over Texas and Arizona, New Mexico and on to Oshkosh for the annual event.
    The problem with homebuilts and small aircraft is the weight factor. You really can't carry much if you have a passenger loaded. The missus isn't interested in flying so I have room for the Flextone IIIXL and a guitar in the front seat.
    I was gonna do the Light Sport Pilot but the restrictions are pretty confining. Especially about aircraft weight and speed.
    I never went the route of ultralight airplanes although I really wanted to because they are so vulnerable to wind shear and gusts. Way too dangerous..I wanna fly, not die....

Anyway I decided to go get my PPL plus a taildragger enhancement. The school is a non-profit and is affiliated with a local community college and a University so the whole thing is treated as school. Pell grant and full Fannie Mae student loans are available with deferred payment. To get humongous discounts on aircraft rental, you also join a Young Eagles club and pay $500.00 once and $50.00 a month. That brings the Cessna 152 down to $69.00 an hour. Since there is no ATC at the airport they use, there is no waiting for takeoff so the flight time is mostly just that...flying and landing and practicing maneuvers and not taxi practice with an overheated motor.

I'm looking at several partial builds that I can finish pretty quickly and because I'll be the builder of record, I get the 51% rule and am both the airframe and engine mechanic. That keeps the maintenance cost down to parts and time. The plane will have folding wings for garage storage to save on hanger or tie down fees. At about 4 to 4.5 gallons per hour at 130 kts cruise, it's cheap to go and a lot faster than driving. I used the plane I want in FSX and got to Phoenix in 2 3/4 hours with a stop enroute for about 15 minutes and lots of rolls and loops and stuff.

Flying 100' off the river in the Grand Canyon is fun too but a lot of work to keep from crashing in FSX.

Look around here and you will see what I am talking about for the airplane. I already bought the full set of serialized plans for the Sonerai IIL. The conventional landing gear is faster by about 5 kts than the tri-gear setup.
    Yeah...a VW engine......
    http://www.sonerai.net/CMS/

18. oldrockfan

Sounds like tons of fun Spunk! I am very familar with planes. Logged about 20 hours on 152 and 172 when I was in college. Uncle is a retired crop duster so I got to go up with him several times. Talk about aerobatic! he also has a beechcraft bonanza which is a nice plane! I have a customer that owns a mooney and a buddy in Austin who owned a 152, 172 and 182 that he was leasing back to a little airport. Pretty sweet setup for a few years but he sold the planes off when economy nose dived and flying really dried up.

I was really looking hard at the light sport category because the cost is way less both to buy and to maintain. They are very easy to transport from a garage too which is a plus. Like you said you are limited in weight and speed which is a down side for cross country stuff but the smaller engine requirements make the per hour cost dirt cheap.

If you do end up building, those 49% kits are pretty sweet these days. Oh and when you fly thru north texas, we should get together. I'd be glad to meet you at an airport long as I am in town. Would be fun to check out your plane and if you have the time, I'll trade you a steak dinner for a flight in your plane. ;)

19. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

Whoohooo....Texas barbeque....ya just can't beat that!

I start flying lessons soon. All I have to do is go and get signed up.
    I'm 5 minutes from the freeway where I live and the field is about 15 minutes away and next to the same freeway so that will make it geographically perfect!
    I remember a long time ago I was in a 172 doing stalls off the ocean in the back seat with a guy.
    I am signed up for the Virtual World Aerobatic Championships as a novice and already got permission to fly the FSX Sonerai I that I painted up.

You should see my virtual cockpit at home....

20. Voxman

Flying was THE most expensive hobby I've ever had! ;)