R.I.P. Les Paul

Discussion in 'General Music' started by AxRab, Aug 13, 2009.

1. AxRab

AxRab Member

Lester William Polfuss, known as Les Paul (June 9, 1915 - August 13, 2009)

On August 13th, 2009, Les Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital in White Plains, NY. His family and friends were by his side.

We all owe him our deepest thanx and graditude for his contributions to music.

2. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Les Paul - Rest in Peace

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.
    According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.
    He had been hospitalized in February 2006 when he learned he won two Grammys for an album he released after his 90th birthday, "Les Paul & Friends: American Made, World Played."
    "I feel like a condemned building with a new flagpole on it," he joked.
    As an inventor, Paul helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll and multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the "tracks" in the finished recording.
    With Ford, his wife from 1949 to 1962, he earned 36 gold records and 11 No. 1 pop hits, including "Vaya Con Dios," "How High the Moon," "Nola" and "Lover." Many of their songs used overdubbing techniques that Paul the inventor had helped develop.
    "I could take my Mary and make her three, six, nine, 12, as many voices as I wished," he recalled. "This is quite an asset." The overdubbing technique was highly influential on later recording artists such as the Carpenters..
    The use of electric guitar gained popularity in the mid-to-late 1940s, and then exploded with the advent of rock the 1950s.
    "Suddenly, it was recognized that power was a very important part of music," Paul once said. "To have the dynamics, to have the way of expressing yourself beyond the normal limits of an unamplified instrument, was incredible. Today a guy wouldn't think of singing a song on a stage without a microphone and a sound system."
    A tinkerer and musician since childhood, he experimented with guitar amplification for years before coming up in 1941 with what he called "The Log," a four-by-four piece of wood strung with steel strings.
    "I went into a nightclub and played it. Of course, everybody had me labeled as a nut." He later put the wooden wings onto the body to give it a tradition guitar shape.
    In 1952, Gibson Guitars began production on the Les Paul guitar.
    Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al DiMeola and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.
    Over the years, the Les Paul series has become one of the most widely used guitars in the music industry. In 2005, Christie's auction house sold a 1955 Gibson Les Paul for $45,600.

3. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Re: Les Paul - Rest in Peace

Just read the story..........THAT man WILL be missed. Thanks Les for all you've done. :cry:

4. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

RIP Les Paul. Your contribution has been immense. :cry:

5. stuugi

stuugi Member

Rest in peace. Your life made a difference.

6. John J

John J Active Member

RIP Les

7. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

I just got up a few minutes ago ( working the graveyard shift ) and heard about it.

The Man, Myth, the Legend. Rest in Piece Lester !

8. 8-ball

8-ball Member

A very creative man and musician.

R I P

9. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Such a great force in life and music.

10. ESSER

ESSER Active Member

I must make a thanks post as well. Cheers 'Les'.

Unique legacy.

11. axmaker

axmaker Member

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

What a loss, one of the all time great players and innovators!

I've loved his music since the early 70's when I discovered that he was a person, not just a name on a guitar. I found a record of his stuff w/ Mary Ford, wonderful music. I heard a lot of the licks that later rock players would exploit in Les' playing.

Later I heard very early stuff, like live JATP recordings with Nat Cole on piano, and of course the music Les made with Chet Atkins.

If any of you have not actually HEARD Les Paul, do yourself a big favor and go out and get something of his and listen.

[quote author=Tom link=topic=19618.msg237754#msg237754 date=1250181439]

Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al DiMeola and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.

[/quote]

A minor point.....

No issue w/ Page and DiMeola being associated with the Les Paul model guitar as "their trademark six-string"; and yes Pete played them, along with Ricks, Fenders, Schector, etc. - but don't we all think of the quintessential Townsehnd axe as the SG Special?

As for Steve Howe, who has used "The Les Paul" a lot over the years (along with all sorts of guitars), he himself said many times that his "home" guitar is the Gibson ES-175, the one he bought in the early 60's and has used in Yes from the "Yes Album" to the present day.

13. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

My Guitar Gently Weeps!!

14. Dettol666

Dettol666 Member

Rest in peace Mr Les Paul, a true musical legend.

15. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

R.I.P Les, you'll be remembered forever in the history of music. I wonder how many times his name gets spoken everyday?

16. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=skidshark link=topic=19618.msg237781#msg237781 date=1250202170]
    R.I.P Les, you'll be remembered forever in the history of music. I wonder how many times his name gets spoken everyday?
    [/quote]

Les now.

Disclaimer: Bad joke due to being hospitalized for the last 4 days. I loved the guy.

17. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

I been in the hospital too, but i still didn't mention how many chiropractors will be sending cards! sheesh...some people!! :coolsmiley:

18. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Les Paul is a great of the greats. His seeds and roots will live on forever.

RIP Les Paul. :cry:

19. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

What a shame.... long live Les Paul!!

20. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Shame, but 94 is a good run.

Thanks for that guitar, Les, R.I.P.

[​IMG]