racing games for xbox and 360

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vkgphil, Oct 13, 2008.

1. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

ok here are the games currently in my collection that are racing oriented

for the most part ive been buying them as they were released so this is many years of playing here

roughly in alpha order

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

Woooooowww. You need to write a review about which is easiest, best graphics and so on for us first time buyers!!

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I would have figured you as a first person shooter player. We have ps3 so different platform but we like racing games too although lately my boys seem to be stuck on call of duty. I tend to like playing maden football during football season. FOr racing, grand turismo (sp) is one of my favs. I like the ability to totally customize the cars it offers.

4. JWest

JWest Member

Yeah thats the only thing I hate about the xbox 360 is it doesnt have grand tourismo.
    I've got Madden, Halo 3, and Bad Company to keep me busy when I actually do play my xbox though. Still I'll be the first to admit though, i'm not that big of a video game guy.

5. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=bradsure link=topic=17946.msg220535#msg220535 date=1223986601]
    Woooooowww. You need to write a review about which is easiest, best graphics and so on for us first time buyers!!
    [/quote]

heh i dont have that much ambition. reviews of the games are easily found, read gamespot or gamespy, both of those site are pretty agreeable with my opinions. IGN is good too.

Personally, if i had to trim down to a few titles, I'd keep the Midnight Club 2 and 3; NFS Underground 1 and 2; Burnout 2, 3 and Revenge; probably Rally Sport Challenge (it was one of the first games i really got into)... these are all "arcade" style which to me are more fun and are quicker to pick up and frankly are flashy and wild. the PGR and Forza games are very Grand Turismo like (my PS2 was stolen and i never went back -- xbox rules imo). THe colin mcrae are too stressful and you gotta be in the mind for a real challenge to dig into it. Dirt is much the same. the MX ones are fun for change of pace. hell i guess i like most of em. a lot of these are like 10 bucks or less now at the gamestop if you have one close by. cheap thrills.

GRID is awesome, im still just in the early stages of it (I play a couple hrs on the weekend so it takes awhile).

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=17946.msg220536#msg220536 date=1223995984]
    I would have figured you as a first person shooter player. We have ps3 so different platform but we like racing games too although lately my boys seem to be stuck on call of duty. I tend to like playing maden football during football season. FOr racing, grand turismo (sp) is one of my favs. I like the ability to totally customize the cars it offers.
    [/quote]

first person shooters eh. well ive played Halo and its ok, not my thing. i have a few others but naw id rather drive a video game car i could never have for my gaming fun!! You can thank Pole Position and Rad Racer for that (now thats going baaaack a way)

6. oldrockfan

both platforms have pluses but the big thing that leaned me towards ps3 is the fact it is free to play online! Last thing I need is another monthly fee on top of all the other ones our family has.

7. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

i wouldnt rule out a PS3 someday. if the right deal came along

8. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I'm still working on the 8 bit Nintendo. ;D

9. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=17946.msg220573#msg220573 date=1224042301]
    I'm still working on the 8 bit Nintendo. ;D
    [/quote]

i still have one somewhere around here... paperboy, tetris and rad racer were my vices. never got too involved with super mario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rad_Racer

10. oldrockfan

I remember there was a pretty fun golf game for that one I used to play. Games have come a long way since then though. The current generation games look pretty realistic and being able to play with wireless controllers makes it alot more family friendly. We have our PS3 hooked up to the big tv in the family room. Since there are no cords to mess with, the Mrs doesn't mind us having it in the family room and games look great on a large hi def tv. Plus the PS3 can run blueray dvds so it does double duty for blueray movie watching.

11. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

;D I've played allmost every 1 of those. It's a sad true fact. I liked the Need for Speed prostreet, and the Test Drive Unlimited for the 360. But thats one thing I was disappointed by when i bought my 360, was the lack of really good racing games. I found myself going back to my PS2 to play tourist trophy etc. Even now the PS3, has some great racing games id like to try, like Wangan Midnight.
    I've noticed in IMHO, that it seems like Xbox is geared towards fantastic Amazing shooters, like Halo and COD4. And PS3 is more for RPG's simulators things like that. It makes me wonder what the next Xbox is going to be like?

12. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=17946.msg220590#msg220590 date=1224078341]
    Plus the PS3 can run blueray dvds so it does double duty for blueray movie watching.
    [/quote]

what a great argument for having one, and now gives me pause to justify purchasing it! I have totally forgot about that.

13. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

I miss really fun simple games. Attari 2600 "maze craze" had this fun mode that was like tag, you tag your opponent and he gets slowed down. Used to play that alot with my friends. then there was nintendo's (forget which console but think it was the super nintendo) bomber man, you could have four players, that one was really fun. The sega Genesis had the most fun baseball game I have ever played and this great golf game, that was way fun back in the day drinking with my roomate.

I don't know if I've just outgrown video games or they have out grown me but anymore the games are just too involved, complicated and lack that fun factor the older games had.

I own a xbox 360, grand theft auto is fun but can be annoying online when too many griefers get on. The first person shooters are pretty fun but I just cannot compete. It's not so fun when your dead before you can even get your bearings and start moving around. I mainly just attempt to stalk campers and find my enjoyment in ruining a camping snipers day. I always get the least amount of kills and most amount of deaths haha. The cost of new games keeps me from buying up many games. If I do get a new game it's usually one of the ones that have droped below $29.00. I just can't justify $60 bucks for a game I may or may not like.

Racing games like Forza are waaaaay to freaking hard to be enjoyable. I can drive my mustang in real life far better than I can in that game, which is lame. I should be able to drive better in a video game than in real life right? The pgr series is probably the only racing game I have tried and enjoyed on the 360.

Blazing angels is pretty fun if you get online with friends only, otherwise it's not very enjoyable. Again I just cannot compete with those guys online. I suck :cry:

14. joker08641

joker08641 Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=17946.msg220692#msg220692 date=1224206426]
    what a great argument for having one, and now gives me pause to justify purchasing it! I have totally forgot about that.
    [/quote]

That was my justification for getting a PS2 around 2001 too... it was the first DVD player in the house. I'll probably wind up getting these crumb snatchers a PS3 so I can see blue ray too.

15. JWest

JWest Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=17946.msg220576#msg220576 date=1224062171]
    i still have one somewhere around here... paperboy, tetris and rad racer were my vices. never got too involved with super mario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rad_Racer

[/quote]
    Oh man my favorites are still T and C surf design and Mike tyson's punchout! Great times!

Ok so there's no real definitive great racing game for the xbox 360? I asked for midnight club racing for xmas I kinda assumed it was a decent game. I loved Grand tourismo but it's not available on xbox and i've got forza motorsports but that game really isn't great. I can't get into it at all!

16. oldrockfan

we just got the latest installment of call of duty for our ps3. It now allows you to do multiplayer online which is really cool. I can relate to the other guy in that I can't compete with young people who have faster reflexes. I usually end up taking the role of sniper which is fine with me. I don't get the big score but I help my team win and it is fun to play a game with the boys so I can stay involved with them. They both trounce me in a one on one match ;D

For those debating ps3, i will say it is very handy to have a blueray player and game console in one. Fact online is free is also a very nice perk.