Rare? SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by loki890, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Active

Active New Member

Gibson SG-R1

I've already contacted Gibson about this model and they confirmed it's existence but unfortunately they have little info on it.

You can find further pictures of this model at http://www.elderly.com/items/30U-12038.htm however this particular guitar has been fitted with a scratch plate not found on the original and non standard strap point.

This page also suggests the model was renamed in 1981 as the 'SG Artist' and not 'SG Active' as I previously suggested - Sorry I can't confirm which if either is correct.

There don't appear to be many of these about - I know of two in the UK around the 1980s

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG Active! :) :) :)

3. edubfromktown

edubfromktown New Member

Hi all,

I have a 1980 SG-R1. A buddy of mine purchased one new back in the day- always had a blast playing it (plugged into his old Peavey tube amp). I acquired one for myself ~10 years ago (after owning a '76 SG for more than 20 years) and its been awesome.

I noticed someone is selling a 1981 SG Artist on eBay for $3k

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG etub...

And arise from the dead, O Thread from 13 years ago, before I ever
    joined up. You might have noticed our motto even so:

PICTURES, OR IT
    NEVER HAPPENED

never mind all that about photo bucket. That's very obsolete.
    Just resize them under 1 mb and you can upload them using the
    "upload a file" command below.

5. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Well since a necro-thread has risen, here's a video I just watched (coincidentally) on the SG-R1.

6. edubfromktown

edubfromktown New Member

Not much info out there a thread rising from the grave seemed appropriate.

Regarding the video- a partially gutted/butchered mutant guitar is somewhat different than a stock one I imagine LOL. I don't mind the heavier body all that much. Dave Grohl at one point had one of the much heavier and more unweildy RD Artists. He said "that it was like “holding a kitchen table to your chest and having it scream like a jet fighter.”

I played an SG-R1 brand new in 1980 and at that time owned a '76 SG that was hotrodded with DiMarzio pickups and a relatively worthless coil tap that the original owner had installed (sold that guitar after 25 years).

The R1 I currently own has stock electronics albeit with fancy pickup covers. In my opinion, both the brand new SG-R1 that I played way back when and my more recently acquired one have better sustain, more versatility (bass side due to heavier form factor and more tinny/trebly sound with the Moog board) as compared my old '76.

Steve D likes this.