Recent Sg Junior with baked maple...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by weemac, Dec 25, 2013.

1. weemac

weemac Active Member

I just played one, it was really good (my nephews) The baked maple is a winner in my book!
    Nothing more to add to that....
    Eden.

CATMANDUE and Kevy Nova like this.
  2. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I like the one I have.

I thought it was interesting to read the at first disapproving comments from our more traditionally minded members. ...and then one by one to read reports coming in from players who had actually played one and were willing to say it was okay.

...and then to read reports and see photos from players who had actually bought one and brought it home and put it through its paces. the consensus here at ETSG slowly changed from WTF to grudging acceptance and finally to mild approval. *laughs

And then, last year at this time when Gibson started marking them down, we all got enthusiastic. Nothin' like a new Gibson for $500 or so. Lots of members here took advantage and snapped them up. That's what I did. No complaints. I like mine really well. And I like the price better.

Well, everybody loves a rosewood fretboard, or ebony. But my baked maple fretboard responded very well to Fret Doctor and darkened up nicely, and it feels great and the SG I bought with this on has a voice all its own. There it is.

3. 61SG

61SG Active Member

99% of people wouldn't notice the difference between maple, baked maple, rosewood and ebony anyways... in a blind test.

4. TheBuffalo

TheBuffalo Active Member

Agreed, it's mainly a feel thing. IMO that small strip of wood does not make a tonal difference

Rowdymoon likes this.
  5. Red-Nick

Red-Nick Member

I have two of these a black and a red, best guitar ever for my money!

Col Mustard likes this.
  6. likea45

likea45 Well-Known Member

You can tell the difference with your eyes though....I don't mind the BM but I do have to say I can feel a bit of a difference in an ebony board. The way it soaks up the lemon oil and feels after a conditioning too is different than my rosewood boards.

7. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

Love That Baked Brown Maple

I have a Gibson Les Paul Junior Special with the baked maple finger board. With P90s it sounds great! I bet even with humbuckers it would be interesting. It does sound brighter for being a flat top without the maple cap. I'm a fan of baked maple. I bet on an SG it is just dandy as well.

Col Mustard likes this.
  8. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I have the same guitar and I LOVE the baked maple.
    Very dense wood that feels great to play on.

BTW, I put P90 size humbuckers in mine and it sounds friggin' fantastic!.

[​IMG]

Col Mustard likes this.
  9. OttoParts

OttoParts New Member

yep, baked maple is ok in my book. looks good, feels good, don't see any downside other than if tradition is important to you.

Col Mustard likes this.
  10. Col Mustard

I get what .45 is saying, but when the existing stocks of Ebony have been exhausted in most of the nations we get it from, we'll all have to make do with something else.

I recently watched an info thing with Bob Taylor. He was talking about the fact that there is only one nation left that still has harvestable forests with Ebony trees. Cameroon.
    He was dealing with a local lumber company there, maybe the only company that was going out and finding the right trees and cutting them down to sell to middle men.
    So he bought that company, and now owns the sole source of ebony for the guitar industry. This video is fascinating.

Video: Bob Taylor On The Future Of Ebony

And the reality is, if you have a guitar with real ebony, it will become more valuable.
    If you don't have one, you may not be able to afford one. But for the rest of us, baked maple works just fine. *grins

11. shamu1

shamu1 Active Member

I assume you're talking about the Gibson "SGJ"s? I was one of those guys who frowned on them at first, simply because I couldn't stand the look of the EMG type pickup covers. But man, after I actually played one in a store for about 20 minutes, I was sold. The SGJ feels and sounds great - the pickups scream, and the neck feels perfect. I haven't bought one, but with the new open coil look of the 2014's, I've got one on my radar now.

12. Col Mustard

I think that most of Gibson's 2012 models (except the
    very costly & high end models) were made with baked
    maple fretboards. Gibson was still in litigation with the
    Government about their confiscated gray-market stocks
    of Rosewood and Ebony the year before... there's a delay
    factor.

Gibson lost in court and paid fines etc. and got their wood
    back. So last year at this time they were deeply discounting
    all their guitars with baked maple fretboards to clear the decks
    if you will. It was exciting!

They discontinued some popular models last year
    (like the SG faded special) and changed the 2013 SG Standard so it
    was more like the '61 Reissue. And all the new models including
    the SGJ are made with Rosewood fretboards.

I don't know what they did with the Les Paul line because all those
    model names are totally confusing to me. It seems like yer Lester
    ain't sh*t unless it's a Les Paul Standard Premium Traditional Pro Plus
    Signature T Gold Series etc etc etc... *laughs ...and at those prices
    it better be Rosewood or Ebony.

I was puzzled by that whole shameful episode, wondering why Gibson got
    their knuckles rapped (raided by men with guns) while at the same time
    Fender and Gretsch and Schecter and Epiphone and PRS and everybody else seemed to have all the Rosewood they needed. *shrugs
    Maybe the laws are different in China and Mexico concerning
    Rosewood rustlers.

But anyway, the SGJ seems like an excellent value. Members here report on
    them favorably, and if you like the open p'ups better then cool. Here's a few
    Pictures showing my baked maple fretboard when it was new (the reddish brown)
    and after applying some Fret Doctor. It darkened up nicely, and feels great to me.

Attached Files:

13. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Active Member

<- This guy doesn't care for rosewood!

I have ONE electric guitar with a rosewood fretboard and I don't like it at all. The open grain is INSANE. If I had the time and money, I'd honestly pull all the frets out, remove the nut, then RE-SAND the entire flippin rosewood surface, because it wasn't well sanded before. EVERY time I try to bend a string, I get reminded that I'm playing on Rosewood. And this is a 2013 Gibson SG Standard. :squint:

My 2012 SG Special has Baked Maple and after oiling it up well, I LOVE IT. :wow:

And, of course, my LP Custom has Ebony since it's a 2011 model.

Now, the rosewood fretboard on my Takamine acoustic isn't so bad, but I wonder if that's because it was better sanded, uses thicker strings, or that I just don't bend strings while playing .12 80/20 Phosphor Bronze strings.