Recording AC/DC style music

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by deeaa, Mar 29, 2015.

1. deeaa

deeaa Member

Here's my latest solo song I did largely in the style of ACDC...the video explains the gear used while it rolls; the image is static showing some of the gear used.

The SG starts the song!

2. Jimmy Jacks

Jimmy Jacks Well-Known Member

Cool tune man, it definitely has that AC/DC sound you're looking for..Very clear recording from drums to vocals and everything in between. The guitar solo work toward the end awesome.

deeaa likes this.
  3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Great stuff !!!!

deeaa likes this.
  4. Jimmy Jacks

Jimmy Jacks Well-Known Member

I do a lot of work from my home studio and do some from a friends analog studio. My stuff at home is all digital, using drum tracks instead of recorded drums and guitar mods. Its amazing how close mods can get to real engineered recordings. I wouldn't trade the home studio age we are in for anything. Its great working at your own pace and having a tangible, close to or professional sounding recording in hand in a short period of time. Your song sounds amazing considering the medium you're using. When I took the plunge in digital recording I figured the cost of my studio time in the 90's for a ten song demo. I still haven't quite spent that much even with upgrades and I have close to 30 original songs to show for it. Great job on this song.. Baby got back.... now I'm stuck with it in my head all day...

deeaa likes this.
  5. deeaa

deeaa Member

Indeed!

I haven't ever even tried to calculate how much have I invested in my home studio, but not a huge lot.

A few years back I was able to build it in a new room that I could line with acoustic materials and pretty much soundproof. ..and I was also able to put the PC DAW in the next room using extension cables and long display cords, so it's very very quiet there, not even a single fan. I literally can hear the difference in the sound of my monitor panel radiation when I adjust contrast...

Anyway, making that move and getting rid of everything I didn't absolutely need and just have a few good pieces of equipment really lifted my standards to a whole new level. If I made an album or two a year before, since the new studio I've been putting out at least three albums worth of music a year...however it's mostly vocals only, much less of the stuff where I do everything solo.

The thing that helps with productivity the most is the Focusrite which has plenty of inputs, so I can have EVERYTHING hooked up and ready to go, and having ready-set projects in Cubase too it is a breeze to lay down tunes when I just have the time. Last fall I made a 5 song solo EP from scratch in 48 hours including everything from composition and lyrics to mastering and all the playing in between! It's just crazy how much modern technology can do for you!

(That EP is on Spotify etc. Under the name " D.A Star Children " as is it's follow-up I did a few weeks back, "Carpe Diem"

I started out in the late 80's and back then making one song in the studio- a song we had rehearsed for weeks- took an entire weekend...and cost hundreds upon hundreds...Damn! It's so different now.

Of course, back then you also got them songs on the radio and even got paid sometimes...I have not even tried getting any income or anything from my stuff. Just hope to get some people to listen now and then is enough 4 me.

Please check out either my web page at http://deeaa.pp.fi or on Facebook/deeheikkinen Or on YouTube...got hundreds of songs out there both solo work and covers and band releases. Just today we released a new video from my "alternative" music group Mercy Point.

Hm. Didn't mean to turn this into a an advert but Seems I did

alexander paul and Karathas like this.
  6. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

Rock on! Great song..I love the AC/DC style . You definately captured the vibe. Good stuff

deeaa likes this.
  7. deeaa

deeaa Member

Well last night I made a new song with the same project base...this time I aimed for some more 'The Cult' kind of vibe, but it took on a life of it's own. Here, fresh outta Cubase:

8. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

what amp were you using for "She Got Back"?

9. deeaa

deeaa Member

Marshall JVM...but it was mostly for monitoring really. It's quite heavily Amplitube 3 plugin in the finished product.

I'mt actually selling off my amps because I tend to end up using the DI track anyway in the finished product. It's just really that you need something good sounding for monitoring.

10. Ess

Ess Active Member

im in the middle of making some kind of studio in the front bedroom here. It is pretty much half assed but i can get the tunes out of my head and down some shape. the drums are atrocious as i use sample tracks and it lets everything down, even buying drum loops cds off ebay. :mad:
    i went with a focusrite too, the scarlett 2i2 and ableton 9. im getting on ok with it and im happy except for the drum tracks. im making an iso booth under the stairs and running cables up to the bedroom./studio.
    sorry to harp on about my drum problems but i bought a midi pad controller and assigned each pad to a drum thinking i was john bonham with the intention of playing over my tracks with this "drumkit". i aint no drummer. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

liked your sound on the vid there pal keep it up.

deeaa likes this.
  11. deeaa

deeaa Member

If you haven't yet, check out EZ Drummer. It's plain awesome.

12. Ess

Ess Active Member

yep seen it. looks just the ticket.

deeaa likes this.
  13. Psychobilly444

Psychobilly444 Well-Known Member

Why isn't there a "LOVE" option for posts!?:mad: Great job, catchy tune!