recording help please!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Arlabester, May 1, 2008.

1. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

so heres the deal. FINALLLLLLLLLY i have a demo! *woot*

http://boomp3.com/listen/dszpkcb/casualty-alteration

recorded with a bassist (high schooler... washburn bass ($1500, not sure what model) and that $400 ampeg tube amp) and me (carvin DC127 and metal muff) straight thru a computer input. my drummer programmed hydrogen. all into audacity.

but heres the problem. except for the drumming, its all wicked fuzzy. this is what im doing. buying a very expensive distortion pedal ($200?) and then a reverb pedal, and probably a clean boost, and probably a wah as well, and very unlikely, but possible, a fuzz. a few loopers as well, to quickly switch between my setups. the loopers will be wicked cheap. and now i have a few questions.

is there a box where i can plug the pedals in, and then plug it into the computer, for a clearer sound (ie a recording box?) it also needs to handle a mic, but im buying one that can plug into a regular headphone jack, so that probably wont be a problem, it also comes with a mic attachment.

and second.

would true bypass matter in that situation, running thru a computer?

third, how would i plug in an EQ? i want to put a 7band eq into the mix, where would i plug it in? just at the beginning of the chain?

thanks!

2. jetlag

jetlag Member

I'm not sure about all of your questions dude - but as for the recording sounding 'fuzzy' - I find that you'll always get that sort of sound when going direct into computer without going through an amp!

When we did our first demos with my old band, against my will, we went straight into the computer from our pedals. Sounded cold, and as you said - fuzzy.
    Next time we did it mic-ing up my guitar, and sounded a million times better.

As for would true bypass matter with computers - I'm assuming you mean true bypass pedals - then yeah. Of course it matters - cause no matter whether the signal is going to an amp/computer/up a dog's bum it's still gonna be buffered or bypassed along the signal chain!

3. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

[quote author=jetlag link=topic=16818.msg210708#msg210708 date=1209693124]
    I'm not sure about all of your questions dude - but as for the recording sounding 'fuzzy' - I find that you'll always get that sort of sound when going direct into computer without going through an amp!

When we did our first demos with my old band, against my will, we went straight into the computer from our pedals. Sounded cold, and as you said - fuzzy.
    Next time we did it mic-ing up my guitar, and sounded a million times better.

As for would true bypass matter with computers - I'm assuming you mean true bypass pedals - then yeah. Of course it matters - cause no matter whether the signal is going to an amp/computer/up a dog's bum it's still gonna be buffered or bypassed along the signal chain!
    [/quote]oh, i see.

have you ever recorded with a recording box (found one, a 12AX7 ART sound box with usb)? im pretty sure those sound pretty crystal clear, cos it runs it through a tube, then into my sound card.

4. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

anyone?

5. Rox

Rox Active Member

I always do it the old fashioned way, through an Amp, into a mic, into the computer. The only exception is vocals, which I record direct. :)

6. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

[quote author=Rox link=topic=16818.msg210797#msg210797 date=1209762134]
    I always do it the old fashioned way, through an Amp, into a mic, into the computer. The only exception is vocals, which I record direct. :)

[/quote]but thats the point, i dont want to use an amp. i dont want anything to get in the way of just the pedals sound, and the blues junior (or at least mine) rapes the mids of any pedal i put in, and it sounds nasty.

wouldnt a tube recording preamp just help it, a lot?

7. Rox

Rox Active Member

Don't use an amp then. ???

If it doesn't work without the amp, why not use it?

8. Arlabester

Arlabester Active Member

[quote author=Rox link=topic=16818.msg210808#msg210808 date=1209765910]
    Don't use an amp then. ???

If it doesn't work without the amp, why not use it?
    [/quote]well i mean running it through a recording preamp is the same thing ( i think ) as recording with a mic and soundcard. so, i dont know.

i really need pedal recommendations, becuase i really cant find any :(

9. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

Even if you record it thru a preamp or some sorts directly, I think it'll always sound the same. You need some kind of speaker simulation otherwise it'll still sound as fizzy and as choppy.

The best method is still to record an amp. You could always try amp simulation softwares such as Guitar Rig or Amplitube, which can sound pretty decent !

10. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

line 6 makes some good stuff i use the Guitar Port (not a pod) to record sometimes, and it sounds good and i can still use pedals in front of the box and use the software to configure amp head speakers and mic and placement of the mic. EVERYTING recorded on a computer (or digital) is very clean sounding almost starel tape recorders are much more forgiving. but i prefer digital.

11. ditto2

ditto2 Member

Sometimes to go direct can have depending on sound a fairly cool sound . Years ago when using 4 tracks It would be me my guitar my tube screamer right to the cassette haha. and microphone on amp still has the greatest sound . But I agree with DJ guitarig sounds pretty good and there are a lot of pre-sets to start with . But I think you will run into goofy problems with using your effects with guitar rig . At least as many as you have enlisted . And yes guitarrig has its on effects , and if you wanted to use those and lose most of the external stuff , it may be a way to go .. But my general vote for what you should use is what SG GUY says . Or something like that . An external box that you could just run through as a preamp and strait into computer with all your effects in front of the Line 6 or whatever .
    And you could experiment with using the effects on the line 6 as well .
    It is from what you describe a good way to go .
    D

12. cjlinus

cjlinus Member

Arlabester,

Try looking for a device like a Line6 Toneport. I don't use one but they have a great rep on another forum I go to. I use a Mesa V-Twin, which has a balanced line out signal that I can run into a Pesonus Firepod firewire interface. I am about 50/50 with micing an amp and running direct. It sounds like your willing to spend a little cash so get a good interface and you will be surprised at how good your demos can be. Also, you might look in to something other than audacity. It's a good program and does record but I can't stand the way the program is set up. I like something that reminds me of the good ol' days when we used a mixing board! :) Personally I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks, you can pick it up for well under $100 these days.

CJ

13. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

Buy an audio interface. Find one that has a pre-amp built in and you can even get some that come with recording programs such as Cubase.

14. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

My two cents to reduce the fizz/fuzz factor:

1) Make sure your pre-amp isn't red-lining. That is, don't overdrive the "tube pre." Keep the levels in the middle of its range.

2) Go easy on the pedal effects. Use less distortion/overdrive than if you were playing live.

3) When listening to the playback, use digital effects to boost the distortion or overdrive if they aren't enough for your taste.

Remember that the computer "hears" things differently than we do and often a guitar track will sound more vivid recorded than it seemed to sound when you were playing it. Good luck!