recording softwares?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by fcjc, Mar 19, 2006.

1. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

i use a combination of fruity loops , sound forge and acid, with or whithout microphones

2. 1Way

1Way Active Member

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to recording/studio software, but I would like to tip my hat to Audacity for being quite easy to use. Without reading manuals or going thru tutorials, I was able to open a song, very easily select the entire song and change the pitch down whatever I liked without changing the tempo. I've also used cool edit pro to record and it does a great job and is user friendly for beginners.

For sophisticated programs like Cubase or Cakewalk which have extensive plugins or add on functionality, which I hear are really great "once you’ve learned how to use them", seems like multimedia tutorials would be quite helpful. Does anyone know of such helpful resources for these great programs?

Mic vrs direct in
    I'm with Zepplin Rules about recording with a mic if at all possible. But that might depend a lot about the sort of amp and effects you have, and if your neighbors can tolerate such recordings. Another option to help the use a higher quality mic into your PC is to use a mixer, some of which allow for about any kind of mic one may have, and usually has various output jacks that can be easily adapted to go into your pc. You can get very inexpensive mixers these days with some half decent functionality. I have heard some fairly decent recordings even from a cheap embedded PC mic, so for many uses short of professional recording, PC recording can be done with very low overhead.

Mic boost in Windows XP
    There is a helpful mic boost option on my XP sp2 machine, not sure if that’s true for all sound cards or not. If you get into the settings of the volume control by double clicking (or right clicking) the volume control usually located in the power bar (those little icons lined up to the other end of the start button, looks like a tiny speaker).

(Note,  you might want to lower your sound volume before boosting your mic as feedback can sometimes suddently happen. Try to keep your mic located (and pointing) away from your speakers.)
    Go to Options > Properties > select Recordings (make sure microphone is included in the list) > hit OK > then under the microphone slider, there’s an advanced button > click that and select Mic boost and click close.

Doing that may really breathe some life into your mic and recordings. I like to use that even for voice chatting so that I don’t need to be really close to the mic or virtually yell at it just to be heard. If possible, try to locate such a boosted mic away from your PC’s power supply or other fans/motors or coil related power handling, as they tend to cause noise issues. Also, you might have further sound enhancement options like an EQ, various reverb or recording effects that come with your sound card’s software, I know mine does.

Speaker simulation
    If you are relying on effects or a line out from a practice amp to go into your PC for recording, you might want to verify that you have a half decent cab simulator involved somewhere. The nature of guitar speakers are such that they do lot of EQing of the guitar sound. Ever try plugging an electric guitar into a hi-fi stereo? Sounds quite bad largely because of this lack of speaker sim.

I suggest trying to setup your "direct in" rig for a nice warm “clean” sound with standard or flat EQing. If your guitar sounds too high pitched or thin, you might want to start using, or check out a better speaker simulator, because even after you use effects which often help to mask this problem, the native guitar sound remains lacking. I bet they make decent speaker sims in software or hardware.

Seems like lately speaker sims are getting quite sophisticated with different positions simulated for mic placement in the room, placement by the speaker, even the angle and mic type can sometimes be chosen, different speaker and cab types, etc. But to me it’s sorta like drum simulators, there are plenty of them out there, but digital drums do not tend to compare well to live acoustic, unless things have really changed lately. I suggest that having a "real good guitar speaker simulator" is essential to getting a “direct in” system to sound very good/natural.

3. batwing SG

batwing SG Member

I use the Cubase LE. Any one uses it???

4. swlabr67

swlabr67 Member

i use my digital 8 track machine to record everything.. then i transfer it via USB to the computer, and edit it using Sound Forge 6.0.

it works great for editing live shows too, you can delete claps and other unwanted noises.

but before all this i did use Audicity too.

5. 0dannyboy

0dannyboy Member

:) I use Pro tools LE with a MBOX.  www.soundclick/0dannyboy some of the earlier stuff is done with Cakewalk , Sonar.

6. screamsayonara

screamsayonara Member

I use a combination of Adobe Audition and Native Instruments Guitar Rig 2
    also record my songs plugging my guitar directly to my computer through the normal line in port.

also if anyone is plugging direct you will probably need this to get rid of that pesky latency that occurs with most sound cards. http://www.asio4all.com/

7. Ed_VT

Ed_VT Member

i've got my own studio back home. just a room in our barn that i converted--put up a couple walls and eggcrate-foamed the entire thing. i spent just about all my graduation money on recording equipment too. i use cubase le with a lexicon omega interface and a behringer b-2 condenser all connected with mogami gold series cables.

8. Bernard_Rzeznik

Bernard_Rzeznik Member

Its been a real long time since I've posted...

I use N-track studio. Anyone here using it? It wasnt free, but it was cheap and seems pretty good to my unknowledgeable mind.

9. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

[quote author=screamsayonara link=topic=7407.msg100804#msg100804 date=1145587924]
    also if anyone is plugging direct you will probably need this to get rid of that pesky latency that occurs with most sound cards. http://www.asio4all.com/
    [/quote]

i havent tried it, but kX ASIO is bloody fantastic! the things you can do in the DSP are crazy!

10. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

What's ASIO4ALL for ? Some kind of sound upgrade ? :dontknow:

11. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

In response to audacity what i do is i got a chep PC mioc from the local dollar store (3 $ maybe ) plug inso comp, mic amp and play. Ive made some stuff with it and its a ggod program audacity.

12. Bonfire

Bonfire Active Member

[quote author=mr_dj07 link=topic=7407.msg105708#msg105708 date=1147355464]
    What's ASIO4ALL for ? Some kind of sound upgrade ? :dontknow:
    [/quote]

ASIO is a type of driver, that provides low-latency recording, effects, midi, whatever, and is usually used by professionals in studios and so forth. ASIO4ALL and kX ASIO provide free, thrid party drivers that may be compatable with your soundcard to yeild good latency for use with certain programs e.g cubase, pro tools, guitar rig (there are alot, i just cant be bothered listing them all)

ASIO4ALL is a replacement driver that works with most WDM soundcards.

kX is the same, but only works with cards that have the EMU10K1 or EMU10K2 chip...mostly creative cards
    http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/faq.php?language=en#cards

i love it soooo much!

13. 1Way

1Way Active Member

[quote author=barbas23 link=topic=7407.msg94907#msg94907 date=1143111256]
    i use a combination of fruity loops , sound forge and acid, with or without microphones
    [/quote]

, etc...

14. Shaulin

Shaulin Member

Cubase System 4
    Comes with Cubase SL3 software and a Steinberg MI4 USB audio interface

15. antichef

antichef Member

Garage Band, mostly, and I have Cubase LE installed on a PC, but I haven't figured it out yet. I've also used Audacity, but it doesn't work will with midi instruments, which is a minus in my book (other than that, it's good, and easier than Cubase LE, if you ask me)

I use a Presonus Inspire 1394 audio interface for the mac, and for the PC I go direct to the sound card, or use this "light snake" thing (about $40 at Target), which is a guitar cable with a quarter inch plug on one end and a USB plug on the other, along with an embedded converter -- this works OK on the PC (with audacity or sound recorder - I can't get Cubase to pick it up), but has a lot of crappy noise on the mac.

For the direct stuff (and possibly to boost the Inspire with a dynamic mic), sometimes I use a Presonus "TubePRE" mic preamp. I always use it for putting the bass guitar direct into the PC.

I'm starting to develop a microphone addiction, which will hopefully stop soon. I'm using a Shure SM57, a Shure SM81, and now an Oktava MK-319.