Refinishing a vintage SG

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by beerbelly, Nov 9, 2015.

1. 515who

515who Active Member

I finally made some progress and decisions regarding my SG 200 project. Sprayed the headstock and I’m going to stain it cherry. Going to get a custom pickguard made that fits this guitar better and going to route out the bridge position pickup position to accept a p90. Going to make this a JR with a full size pick guard. Going to try and fashion a wood control cover so it’s not metal and looks like a fender. At least that’s the plan for now

as you can see I need to wet sand the black lacquer down so it’s not wavy. Then I’ll use a Gibson adhesive frisket to spray on a new logo.

not sure if I should used the stain as at full strength or dilute it in something then rub it in.

2. 515who

515who Active Member

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

515who likes this.
  4. 515who

515who Active Member

I already ordered an adhesive template to spray on myself but when it arrives I’ll check it out. If I don’t like it I’ll get a water slide. I’ve been to this site. Their decals look fantastic.

5. beerbelly

beerbelly Well-Known Member

515, your headstock repair looks great, and your paint has the typical "orange peel" that you'll sand away in stages. If you're wet sanding, I'd recommend putting some foam ear plugs in the tuner holes to prevent the wood from swelling & cracking the finish. Just leave them in there through the entire clearcoat and sanding process, then pull them out when you're done. They also prevent lacquer buildup in the holes.

black carve.JPG

The stain you have is HIGHLY concentrated; just a few drops diluted in whatever liquid you'll use is plenty. See if you can find some wood to test it on; almost any light color wood will give you an idea what strength you need to make your stain. And make sure you wear some latex gloves or you're gonna have red fingers for days.

6. 515who

515who Active Member

thx on the repair. It looks decent. Not perfect but It’s okay. I’m happy with it.

Great suggestion on the earplugs for the holes. I put wooden dowels in there when I sprayed the black but earplugs are better option for the sanding.

I have a piece of maple to test the stain. It’s the same piece I’m going to try and make the control cavity cover from.

looking forward to getting this done. It’s been hanging around unfinished too long. Would like to play it some day. Lol

that headstock you made looks awesome. Love the design.

Thx for the input. I’m going to try and wet sand the headstock this week some time. Give the paint a few days to dry well and stain the guitar next weekend. At least that’s the plan.

7. beerbelly

515, have you considered something like a Gibson/Maestro pick guard? It looks like it might be pretty close, or you could make one similar.

Gibson Maestro SG.png

515who likes this.
  8. 515who

515who Active Member

Wow, now that’s interesting. Never thought about that. Nice idea. I need to find a pdf template of that some place see how that looks. Stay tuned.

beerbelly likes this.
  9. 515who

515who Active Member

bTW is that yours? Looks too nice to be stock. Seems like you worked on it a bit?

10. beerbelly

Nope, just an image I found online. If you can't find a template, you could probably find a good straight-on image of it and scale it up on a printer if you have one, and make your own pattern. Making a pick guard is not rocket science, but you'd probably need an oversize (bass guitar) blank for one that extends that far down.

515who likes this.
  11. 515who

515who Active Member

Okay thank you. I’m a graphic designer so I have the ultimate set of tools to create one.

12. 515who

515who Active Member

Okay so here is where I’m at. Headstock was painted. Sanded. Polished and I stained her cherry. So far so good. It’s not perfect by a long shot but it’s coming along. I like the way the wood came out with the contrast after stain was applied. I’m trying to decide if I oil it or clear coat. I’m not sure which way to go. After I apply a new headstock logo.

Attached Files:

13. beerbelly

I think it looks great! That fresh cherry red and black combination just can't be beat.
    If you haven't done much clear coating, you may want to consider Tru-Oil for the finish. Far fewer materials and labor.

14. 515who

515who Active Member

Thx much. It’s definitely an upgrade from where it was. I think I’ll do tru-oil since it’s seems easier to manage. Now that I’ve gotten it this far I’m motivated to get it done and actually play it. Hehe.

as you said it’s a good starter guitar to do this with. There is a lot to consider and technique that goes into pulling this stuff off. The one thing that bothers me is when you look at the back of the headstock the repair I made to the left wing stained darker because even though I used the same wood it’s not aged like the guitar so it looks darker. I should have gone lighter on the stain in that area. But you learn I guess.

15. beerbelly

As long as you haven't applied any clear yet, you can still sand the repair and apply a lighter stain. Now's the time to do it.

515who likes this.
  16. 515who

515who Active Member

Thx for the tip. No I haven’t. I’ll definitely try it. Ty