Refinishing a vintage SG

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by beerbelly, Nov 9, 2015.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, if you want it to look nice, it takes time. But I'm sorry, I've never used Tru Oil so I can't offer any advice about sanding between coats; you may want to check out some YouTube videos.

With the lacquer clear coats I use, I've done it both ways; sand between coats or pile all the clear on at the end, then sand. The finished product seems the same either way.

Keep up the good work, and you'll have an SG to be proud of.

515who likes this.
  2. 515who

515who Active Member

thx. As soon as I have an update with the finish I’ll post more. Thx for the help

3. 515who

515who Active Member

Well finally have some progress to report. She’s coming along. The buffing is a bitch. I don’t have the proper tools but I’m happy with it this far. Need to install the wrap around compensated tailpiece.

Attached Files:

4. beerbelly

The headstock looks great! The body could use some 1500+ wet sanding though.

515who likes this.
  5. 515who

515who Active Member

Thanks Beerbelly. I’ll give it a go with the 1500. Thx for the advice. I don’t have a buffing wheel. It’s basically old fashioned elbow grease. Lol.
    Any advice for positioning the stop tailpiece?
    Seems to be a lot of different opinions. I read measure from face of the nut to middle of the 12 th. Then measure same distance from middle of 12th and that is generally where the tailpiece goes. Is that Good advice?

6. 515who

515who Active Member

The headstock is okay it has imperfections. I think it’s the angle I shot it. Looks great. Don’t get me wrong but I would t want my guitar sitting next to one of yours. Lol. Mine would look like a wet rat in comparison.

7. beerbelly

I just measured my '64; it's 24-5/8" from the face of the nut to the center of the tailpiece studs. My tailpiece is straight across, not angled like some of the earlier ones.

Are you not planning to use the original tailpiece? It actually looks like a pretty nice piece.

8. Silvertone

Silvertone Well-Known Member

Generally the bridge would be slightly longer than the 12th x 2 measurement. Ideally you want to intonate for location. There is a dimension that you can use. I think it's something like 1/8" for bass stud and 1/16" for treble stud but I'm totally guessing here. That is why Gibson called basically all their scale lengths 24.75" when in fact none were really 24.75". There was rule of 18 which was somewhere around 24.536" if doubled from the 12th, then 24 5/8" and 24 9/16". I've measured a couple vintage SGs and they measured 24 9/16" scale length but 24 3/4" at the bridge.

If you are happy with the finish, I would leave it. I finished a guitar with Tru Oil recently and I struggled with wet sanding and buffing. If the surface is not completely level it is almost impossible to get that mirror finish. I wish I would have stopped at a matte finish. It'll be a lot of work and may not look much better if you can't level sand it. If the finish isn't thick enough you'll sand through and have to start from scratch again.

Regards Peter.

515who likes this.
  9. 515who

515who Active Member

Sorry BB, never saw the reply. No Im going to use the wrap around type most were upgraded to once they took off the vibrola. If I decide to return it to stock at some point I'll buy one.

10. 515who

515who Active Member

Thanks Peter. Great info.

Yes I tried sanding the body again with 1500 and then polished. The tru oil is easy to work with, which is why I went that route. Tthe finish came out great. Not perfect but really nice. again this is first stab at anything like this so it's cool how good it looks. I'll try to do another at some point and do things different. For now I think Ill stick with how it looks now. Would actually like to play it. It's been a project for a few years now. on and off working on it.

Thx again for the advice.

Silvertone likes this.
  11. beerbelly

Great job 515. And think of everything you've learned for your next project.

515who likes this.