Relisted Epi Sg seems a great deal

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by eS.G., Feb 5, 2014.

1. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

2. Mercury

Mercury Member

Hmm, not able to comment as the link appears to be gone. I don't like Epi's much, but only because of the headstock shape. Why can't they design it to be more like the Gibson? If Squier can do it regarding Fender, then why can't Epiphone? :dunno:

Have you ever checked out the VS6 range from Vintage Guitars? Wilkinson parts, killer looks and by all accounts they run rings around Epiphone SG's.

3. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

I'd have to disagree with you Mercury.
    I have 2 Epiphone SGs, a G400 which I have modded, and a '61 SG Special with P90s. They are both kick arse guitars in their own right. My nephew owns a Vintage SG, and yeah, it's a really nice guitar, but doesn't run rings around either of my guitars. It's just different, that's all.
    I have played his Vintage quite a lot, and I would probably buy one if I was in the market for another SG, but not if I found another Epiphone that "spoke to me"...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  4. Mercury

Mercury Member

Don't get me wrong, I think Epiphone make fine guitars, I just don't like the headstock design. If they were to bring it closer to the Gibson-style things might change.

5. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I felt the same, Merc. While I never wanted an Epi, soley based on the headstocks, I eventually have owned 3, now 2. The Epi LP i have is a great ballsy guitar and my ES175 also is very pleasing full bodied woody offering.

The only complaint for me other than esthetic is when the Epis like a DOT or ES have that giant extra space of wood above the top tuners. When reaching to adjust, I seem to get lost in the jungle up there.

6. Mercury

Mercury Member

The only reason I can think of is if Gibson believed harmonising headstock shapes would take market share. But the existence of look-alike Squiers doesn't seem to trouble Fender any, since the former generally use generic parts and pickups. If anything there seems to be a healthy cross-pollination of ideas, (e.g. the Squier '51, a Squier original design that crossed over to the Fender line with all upgraded hardware). If anything Gibson with the introduction of the "J" range are poised to take market share away from Epi.

7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Thought I would check back in here......been a while, I ended up with the Epiphone G-400 Alpine White Custom Shop version
    The thing is awesome. I have grown over the years to actually like the Epiphone head stock shape. The guitar is amazing and as close to my 80's model I had back in "the day".
    I can almost tap back into that time of big hair, parachute pants and FREE pizza if the Dominos guy wasn't there in 30 min. :-)

Alex_SG likes this.
  8. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Agree with you 100%, eS.G. When I bought my first Epi, my G400 that I have now modified so much it doesn't even look like one anymore, I really didn't like the headstock shape. I toyed with the idea of re-shaping it to look like a Gibson headstock, but never got around to it.
    I later on got an SG '61 Special for my birthday, and it has the same headstock as a G400. But you know what, I really am liking it now. No more thoughts of re-shaping it at all. I know you can actually buy routing templates to do it, and Gibson stickers to make it look the part, but I really am liking my guitars for what they are... MINE!

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I have seen those "conversion" options, and have seen a video of a guy that transformed a "no name" ebay China Les Paul in to a "Chibson" ....looked like a Gibson Les Paul from 5- feet away.
    But since I didn't reshape my cars headlights and change the badges to make a 99 Subaru Forester look like an ....uhm 80's AUDI Quattro (sorry those where freakin awesome) or a Porsche Cayenne, Epiphone owner here, loud and proud:dude:

10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Some Epiphones, made in Japan by fujigen, have the open book headstock. I have a client with such an SG standard. The nickel hardware makes it indistinguishable from a Gibson at distance. He paid more than the current price on a 61 ri. I must say, my g-400s are all quite good, in their own right. My 2000 Epi LP standard and my Dot Deluxe are well beyond good.

Attached Files:

eS.G. likes this.
  11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

My last Gibson was beheaded :( in 1987 (damn I am old) Epi's have been my go to for all those many years and I just accept the Epi headstock for what it is. I mean truly the guitars play so nice (the new G-400 has just floored me) I don't even notice the headstock, AND remember WE all here KNOW head stock shapes. We can spot a Fender VS a Gibson a long way off.....but the "average Joe" couldn't tell ya the diff even after you hit him in the head with one. So pickin nits is fun and all, but if the thing plays smooth and sounds awesome whats the diff what the head stock looks like???

Biddlin likes this.