Removing H.P. covers.

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Roger Phillips, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Roger Phillips

Roger Phillips New Member

My 1962 Standard/LP's back pickup isn't working again and suspect the braided wire into the p.u. is now delicate. Is there a preferred way of removing the cover; I've just looked at Youtube clip involving a soldering iron. If that's the best way what maximum wattage iron should I use? I had thought of going down the knife route thereby not losing any solder among the windings.
    I may have posted some time ago about how to access the bridge mountings- it has the ebony block with pearl inlays. I discovered that the ebony tailpiece actually slides back from the bridge on its felt underlay.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Use the highest power iron you can find, with a nice chunky tip. The idea is to melt the solder quickly so the heat doesn't have time to soak into the pickup windings. Use a solder sucker or solder wick to mop up the solder as it melts.

3. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

While the above is the cleanest way of doing it, simply using a thin flat head screwdriver to break the solder joint is the safest way. You don't have to worry about the heat doing damage to a coil.

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    It still has to be re-soldered to put it back together.

5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Don't you have to worry about the screwdriver damaging it though?

6. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Not at all. It's not like you are pushing the screwdriver all the way into it. And as Mr. Donepearce pointed out, you will need to re-solder the covers back on. But that's easier and quicker then soldering them off.

7. MetroGMP45Head

MetroGMP45Head New Member

I myself wouldnt experiment with an original PAF, unless I was an expert with experience working with them. Ill also admit I cant use a soldering iron ect, but still, if one has to ask a question about desoldering one, power of the iron, using a screwdriver ect, Id let someone that knew 100000000% of what theyre doing work on it.