Replacement 61 SG with maestro Vibrola and again, a junk.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Lino22, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Lino22

Lino22 New Member

So i got my second 61 reissue SG with maestro Vibrola from Thomann, because the first one came damaged by knife (the fretboard binding was carved by someones crafty hands).

Well this one came with strings about 0.5 cm above the fret board, because the bridge pickup is installed all crooked and thus it reaches higher than usual. Instead of fixing the pickup, they have lifted the strings - bam, sorted. What really pisses me off is that the frets are not sanded well and feel scratchy.

So this is what Gibson is these days? Or do they just send some sort of second grade guitars to Thomann e-shop, expecting people put up with the defects?
    Any experience with Thomann eshop?
    This is a 2000 USD guitar not an cheap Epiphone line.

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Can't see what you're talking about.

3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Pictures, or we have nothing.

4. vancouverois

vancouverois Active Member

Well, Thomann is OK when it comes to get a full refund, almost no questions asked.
    I sent back an amp, some tubes, two soundcards and everytime it was fair.

On the other side, I asked them if it was possible to get a preview picture of a guitar I wanted to buy from them.
    They answered they never open the original boxes for some warranty purpose.
    I finally received the guitar, it was an Epi SG P90, the box didn't have any warranty seal and the truss rod adjusting Allen key was missing.

A friend of mine ordered a high end PRS, around five grands, once received the set up was awful and the guitar was certainly built a Friday afternoon.
    It was completely out of this world for such a pricey guitar.
    He got a full refund.

Sometimes I wonder if the factories rejects are not sent to Thomann and equivalent online stores.
    I guess in a guitar shop they won't even put on display an obviously failed guitar.

So in my case I always want to try before buying especially for second hand instruments.
    Brand new ones when bought online can be returned, less risk except unboxing deception and loss of time.

5. Lino22

Lino22 New Member

Well the third one is coming my way next week. If it is a junk, i will ask for refund and back off.

6. Lino22

Lino22 New Member

Sorry fellas, it is hard to make a picture of scratchy frets. I could reposition the pickup and strings myself i guess. I can't file frets on a Gibson guitar without damaging the binding though.

7. Lino22

Lino22 New Member

That's exactly what i think. Gibson sends them bad ones to be sold online. The Thomann guy promised he will personally check the second replacement guitar they are about to send. Let's see next week. Their customer service is really superb.
    So it really may be the good old Gibson who willingly sends them the crap after all.

8. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

If that's true, then that is messed up. No guitar should leave the Gibson factory with the QC rubber stamped. I got the exact same model, a '21 '61 with the maestro. I was at Guitar Center and it had just arrived, watched it be pulled out of the shipping box. Perfect condition and played well with no real set up. If the third time is no the charm, maybe go with one of the big boys like GC or Sweetwater. If you have cash in hand and the guitar you want is in stock on Gibson's website, go for that. No state sales tax and free shipping.

9. Lino22

Lino22 New Member

If the 3rd guitar doesn't fit my expectations, i will get it in California (i go there one a year to visit my wife's family). You are right.

10. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Thomann's is a dealer in the UK ? Andertons as well ? I heard some things about ANDERTONS and the 2019 'OXBLOOD' SG's, and IDK IF I heard the correct story, but allegedly, Andertons refused delivery of a shipment, for what reason IDK (QC ?, Price conflict? again, IDK ) but those SG's ended up @ CME & ZZounds and I know I got one of them with a rotted out fret-board, it was hard to decipher what was wrong, it looked a little dry but I always take a new Guitar to a Luthier, after I set it up, just to get a thumbs up or down on it.....this one particular '19 'Oxblood' SG that I got, when I brought it to a GIBSON Authorized Svc Center (after I set it up well) they told me to send it back, and I surely did.It was a Shame too, it had a tone on it that was superb....the next one I got was delivered on-time, no hassles but it played and sounded ill, in comparison....So, that one went back too....the 3rd one was the charm tho....
    Good Luck with what the Guitar you end up with and do not settle for less than a Superb Axe, GIBSON makes good guitars, occassionally a turd gets out the door though. Like anything else mass produced. The line stops one day and all the ones on the line that is stopped have problems of some sort...
    Being able to play a Guitar b4 buying is getting more difficult by the day, especially a new one. Seems all player's have to choose from is On-Line retailer's now, SUX !
    47TH Street in NYC, once the home of everything new in the industry is not even there any longer...DESSERTED..No Manny's, Sam Ash, Guitar Center etc....just gone, ICFBI last time I was there...

11. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Dude, GIBSON's website still has No Sales tax, yes?

From the experience buyin a few, the on-line retailers have been stopped from dodging the nasty-a$$ tax-man. Last I got an axe sales tax-free was 2018, maybe 2019, from either Music Zoo or American Music supply, I forget which. Sweetwater is definitely charging sales tax for a few years now.....but not GIBSON, eh ? True Dat? TNX DUDE ! Rockin' !

12. 65vibrola

65vibrola New Member

I think Thomman is German but they have a UK presence. Andertons is in Guildford, England. They had photos of each 2019/20 they were selling so you could at least see what you were getting - very happy with mine and it played great straight out of the case

13. An Abiding Dude

IMG_0539.jpeg
    I bought this this year, the '61 hardtail in black that is only available through Gibson's website. I was pleasantly surprised by the no sales tax. I decided to customize it by getting a white pickguard. As to whether it is still a thing, I can't say, but odds are it should be.

PermissionToLand and SG John like this.
  14. Lino22

Lino22 New Member

Thomann just sent me email, that the guitar was in perfect condition, and thus they are can't replace it with a better piece and issuing a refund. That supports my theory that Gibson sends their defective or second grate pieces to European e-shops where people are more likely to put up with defects. Thus Thomann had no better guitar to replace it.

15. Lino22

Lino22 New Member

I called to them, asking what they mean by a "perfect condition", they apologized and said they mean a "standard condition", or better "what they have been seeing from Gibson lately".

16. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

BUT, they are sending a refund?

You may have a point there. Previously, I was hesitant to say what you said, but it sure looks like GIBSON sends the lesser quality axes over-seas. In 2019 I did get an SG Standard that was an 'Exclusive' and it arrived w/rotted fret-board, back it went. AND, I THINK, this SG Standard 'Exclusive' was one of a batch of Guitars that I happen to know for a fact that Anderton's in the U.K. refused delivery on, and they sent the entire shipment back to GIBSON. I can not say for sure but I think these particular 'REFUSED' guitars ended up in Zzounds and Chicago Music Exchange dot coms inventories. I have no way of proving this and I do not need a snot storm sent my way and that is exactly why I did not state this prior to seeing your comment. But after seeing that, YES, it surely does looks that way. DANG ! Of course, Buyer beware, right ? But as long as the defect is spotted soon enough, BACK IT GOES ! These days with Brick and Mortar stores going the way of the DOH-DOH Bird its getting more and more difficult to 'Play b4 you buy', u kno? SUCKS, BUT it is the way it is in our 'Advanced' societies.

The GHOST of Henry J. appears again.

17. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

TNX DUDE ! Sweet SG there, PG's a nice touch.....are the '61's in it ? I did get a 2020 Standard and I yanked the 490's right out and put a '61 in the bridge and '57 in the neck, major improvement.

18. Lino22

Lino22 New Member

Yes they did. They are not dicks, although they dumped me big time. But on the other hand, if they have no better guitars, they can't help me.
    When i am in LA next year i will go to one of those big and sweet guitar centers and pick me one guitar with clean frets, nicely resonant, centered Vibrola, no knife traces, ... something to look forward :)

19. semka

semka Member

I am not sure about the European market, but what they send to Japan is generally of higher quality than what they sell domestically. That's my experience and I read similar opinions on other forums.

20. An Abiding Dude

It still has the pickups it came with, Burstbucker 61R in the neck and a 61T in the bridge. I'm no pickup expert or snob per se, but I'm flirting with the idea of putting a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck and '59 in the bridge to see if it makes any difference.