Replacement nut and wiring harness suggestions

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by JH1968, Feb 7, 2021.

1. TChalms

TChalms Member

I ordered a Tusq nut from StewMac.com. Just be sure to order the right one.

I installed Seymour Duncan pickups and Mad Hatter Guitar Products Terminator push-pull pots, switch and input jack. No soldering required. I take plenty of flack for it, but I don't mind one bit because I like the sounds I get. Ed at Mad Hatter will guide you thru the process.

If you really want to solder, practice with some spare wire and metal of the right dimensions.

2. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

i went the oldschool way on my epi:
    bone nut.

sg-bone -nut.jpg

plankton likes this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I've had a few luthiers who I trust tell me that bone is still the best. I had a TUSQ put on my G400 Pro and it's better than the stock one, but the next time I replace one I'm going for bone. I might even learn to do it myself.

dub-setter likes this.
  4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I made a bone nut for my Strat. In the usual friction test it measures better than everything, even Tusq.

dub-setter and plankton like this.
  5. Brooklyn Zeke

Brooklyn Zeke Member

Re: Bridge -TonePros offers a wireless ABR-1-type bridge which have tiny set screws which serve to securely affix the bridge to its support posts anchored into the guitar. I believe that it also comes with the hex wrench for the set screws. This results in a marked increase in rigidity, the bridge being always perpendicular to the guitar body. It will only work if the bridge support post's bases are soundly screwed into the body wood, and the support posts don't wobble within their holes without bearing the weight of the bridge under tension. If the bridge support posts are sound, the TonePros bridge will pretty much solve the leaning problem, especially if the bridge is relatively low to the body when the action is adjusted as desired.
    I am in no way associated with the TonePros company. My recommendation of their product is solely based upon having my '69 SG Standard equipped with said bridge for about 20 years. I've modded my SG to such an extent so that it actually rarely needs retuning after an initial tuneup at a gig. A bone nut, steel saddles, String Butler, and Sperzel Locking Tuners is an unbeatable combination.