Replacement Pickguard for 2004 SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by tbonesullivan, Sep 21, 2020.

1. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

So, I picked up a 2004 standard used in Natural burst. It's in nice shape, but the pickguard got quite chewed up by previous owners. I looked around for an original Gibson one, but those are very hard to find, and also there may have been changes since 2004.

I looked at the usual aftermarket makers, and they don't really specify WHICH SG pickguard is the correct one. Any advice?

I also need to get a new case too, as my efforts to de-smokify the old case have proven fruitless.

2. kongssund

kongssund Member

ChrisM84 and papagayo like this.
  3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

brut2001 likes this.
  4. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Well that is a tough choice. I mean If I get the original Gibson one, I can peel off the plastic and pretend it's a new one! I do like the extended bevel on the creamtone. I'm doing a full hardware off clean to thoroughly de-funkify it.

Here's the SG by the way:

[​IMG]

musicman2242 and koaguilds like this.
  5. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Be careful with creamtone. I bought the wide bevel batwing from them and the distance between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup was short. I don't know if that distance varied over the years but make sure you measure yours and verify with them if you go that route. The Creamtone didnt fit my 2011 and 2012 SG Standards with batwings. the Stratosphere.com folks carry mint unused genuine Gibson batwings from time to time.

6. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Yeah, I got the original gibson one from Stratosphere for less AND with original screws. Now I just need to get motivated to clean the guitar from head to toe.

koaguilds likes this.