Replacement pickups

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Will Turner, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Will Turner

Will Turner New Member

Hey all,
    I bought a Standard SG a few months ago and I am wondering what pickups I could. I would like noiseless, but with a little extra something.
    Gibson said their mini-humbuckers are drop in replacements. Okay, but how about some punch?
    Suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

3. Will Turner

Will Turner New Member

Thanks. I checked out the link. I do like the silver casing. And they sound fantastic clean.
    SD replied to an email saying Pearly Gates should fit.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    papagayo likes this.
  4. alex1fly

alex1fly Member

What's lacking about your sounds? Have you played around with the height of the pickups at all? Have you changed strings from the set that was on there when you bought it?

madhermit, skelt101 and Go Nigel Go like this.
  5. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

The "standard" procedure across the internet seems to be to change pickups, pots, capacitors, and a host of other parts after an hour or so of of playing, and only then adjust everything so you can justify the cost of the "upgrade". I have bought several instruments with every intention of changing pickups and what not, only to find that after a complete player's setup the darn things works pretty good . I only actually replaced one set of pickups to get a bit higher output. Still had to do some adjustments to get the sound back though.

fishlog likes this.
  6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I put a set of Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1 / Vintage Blues on my SG Special because the 490T don' t sound good to me, the Vintage Blues set is a pure PAF set good for blues, metal funky and more... for less than 150 € those humbuckers are really fantastic.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/vintage-blues

7. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

I’ll echo everything above, and add:
    Has the guitar had a proper set up? What are the existing pickups? What kind of music do you play? What is your signal chain? So many unknowns here…

8. Will Turner

Will Turner New Member

9. Will Turner

Will Turner New Member

A lot of the time I play guitar to amp. I have pedals. A phase 90 is next on my list. Pedals add extra hum. My strat has noiseless pickups, that's what I would like my SG's pickups to be. Right now the sound is a bit weak.
    I don't get all these terms people throw around): warm, fat, bright, etc. I even heard a guy use 'snap to describe a guitar's sound.
    1965-70 is the time period I listen to the most. Psychedelic blues and rock.
    8s there a YouTube channel where someone goes through these pickups and what 'fate and 'bright' sound like?

10. Keystone

Keystone New Member

I've had a dozen or more pickup variations in one of mine. I think I'm finally happy with the Duncan Vintage Blues set. It's had the EMG 81/85, Pearly Gates, and I forget what else but I really like the Blues set.

papagayo likes this.
  11. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand the original post. An SG Standard would have humbuckers, poster says he wants noiseless (implying single coil) and that Gibson said that mini-humbuckers are a direct drop in (suggesting P-90s in there now, same size as mini humbuckers). But SG Standards don't come with P-90s. Everyone here seems to be taking it on faith that the stock pickups are full size humbuckers so probably I'm just being goofy but I'm wondering if we really understand what he's starting with.

madhermit, fishlog and Piper68Special like this.
  12. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

Yes, I noticed that too......if a Mini-Hummer is a drop-in, its either a Mini-Hummer or a P-90 being replaced, yes? I have yet to see an SG Standard w/P-90 Stock out of the factory, altho it may have been done....I haven't seen one.

13. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

madhermit and Decadent Dan like this.
  14. fishlog

fishlog New Member

Third here... I was scratching my head.

15. trypeus

trypeus New Member

I'd keep the P90s and look to buy another SG but with Humbuckers...

16. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I heard on the internet that if you upgrade everything on your guitar, you can resell it for the price of a new guitar plus the cost of the upgrades.

seriously, what does the route on the batwing p90 SG’s look like?

can you swap out a full size humbucker pickguard?

I have a couple mini humbucker guitars and I do like them but they aren’t for everyone.

I think Epiphone does em best.

[​IMG]