Replacement toggle switch cap

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by MarlonJD, Jun 20, 2020.

1. MarlonJD

MarlonJD New Member

Hi all,

Newbie here - sorry if this question has already been asked but I did search the forum and couldn't see that it had.

I'm looking for a replacement toggle switch cap for my 1996 SG G400. I lost the original years ago and have just done without it. I ordered a replacement switch cap made by Epiphone but it's too big for the switch and won't grip the thread. Has anyone had this problem before or does anyone know of any parts suppliers who make caps that fit?

Any help or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Yeah, you got a Gibson one, which is imperial and should have gotten an Epi one which is metric. You can get it anywhere, guitarfetish, ebay or what have you, just pay attention to what which kind of switch its for. Epi ones can also be labelled "import".

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  3. MarlonJD

MarlonJD New Member

Thanks for the rely. The one I bought was Epiphone's own which claims to fit all toggle switches. Helpfully there were no measurements or anything on the packet so I don't know if it was imperial or metric. I'll take a look for import caps and see what I can find.

4. Von Trapp

They must have sent you the wrong one then I think. Can you link to where you got it?

5. MarlonJD

MarlonJD New Member

6. Von Trapp

I see. Well, there's no indication that that one's Epiphones own so I think they sent you the wrong one or they're selling one that doesn't fit.

7. MarlonJD

MarlonJD New Member

8. Von Trapp

Weird. Could be a fake perhaps.

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

dub-setter likes this.
  10. MarlonJD

MarlonJD New Member

They're very nice, though I want to replace the missing one with something as close to the original as possible. I've ordered something that looks like the proper caps in black from China on ebay so will see if they fit and how they look when they eventually arrive.

11. Von Trapp

If that don't work then see if there's an epi owner here that has lives near you and has a spare one to send.

12. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

I've seen some ebay sellers that sell 2 packs. One of each size. Didn't seem to cost much more than a single.

13. MarlonJD

MarlonJD New Member

The toggle switch cap saga continues.

I've found a few guitar shops here that sell parts and bought another, explaining that the one I bought previously was too big. The guy in the shop explained that there are two types and sold me the smaller cap, which is still too big.

Can anyone tell from these photos if I have a freakishly small toggle switch or is it likely that I'm just having bad luck and keep buying the wrong cap?

IMG_E2197.JPG IMG_2201.JPG

14. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Worst comes to worst, put a dab of silicone in there. It will hold it in place and it's reversible.

On my LP Special 1

IMG_3251.JPG

AngelDeVille likes this.
  15. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

My personal recommendation would be just to order a whole new switch and install it.

I don’t know what is installed in the G400, but if it is anything like the switches I’ve had in the import guitars I have, a new Switchcraft switch would be a definite upgrade.

Disclaimer: I don’t know if a new Switchcraft will fit right in or if some drilling out of the hole will be necessary.

Von Trapp likes this.
  16. Von Trapp

If two don't fit, especially since you mentioned your problem, I'd say chances are you have a non originals switch. Just get a new one and be done with it. They're not that expensive.

smitty_p likes this.
  17. MarlonJD

MarlonJD New Member

I've had the guitar since new, so I know that the switch hasn't been replaced and is still the original.

It's a Korean made model from the 1990s. Does anyone know if they were using a certain type of switch in that period?

18. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

This switch came out of my mid 90s Korean LP. I also found these Proline switch tips floating around which are the same size as the original. All 3 of these are considerably smaller than the switch tip that's on the Switch Craft that's now installed on that same guitar. If you want to try any of them DM me an address and I'll mail them out to you.
    [​IMG]

Von Trapp, DrBGood and MarlonJD like this.
  19. MarlonJD

MarlonJD New Member

Wow, thanks for the offer. I've sent you a DM.