Requesting top Blues and Rock licks/tricks

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by 1Way, Nov 13, 2005.

1. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Rene`
    I’ve been looking for a good well recommended beginner blues guitar resource for a while now, and after searching several guitar forums, so far “Blues you can use” seems like a great resource. They say that the lessons are easy to understand, they build well on top of previous skills learned so it’s good to follow the training as it’s presented, and it advances progressively more difficult as you go along.

I recently purchased “Blues you can use” and “Blues licks you can use” but I have not used them yet :? (life is tough/busy), but the CD examples sound great. I just checked out Hal Leonard's website, and they have these stores listed in your country for their products.

Broekmans & Van Poppel B.V
    Harmonia BV
    Music Print
    Spanjaard Muziek

The original book apparently did so well that they have made a Spanish addition, and 4(!) other associated books as well. Here's the list from Hal's website after searching for Ganapes.

Blues You Can Use - Guitar Educational - Book & CD Package - 695007 - $19.95

Blues You Can Use Book Of Guitar Chords - Guitar Educational - 695082 - $14.95

More Blues You Can Use - Guitar Educational - Book & CD Package - 695165 - $19.95

Blues Licks You Can Use - Guitar Educational - CD - 695386 - $16.95

Jazzin' the Blues (Guitar) - A Complete Guide to Learning Jazz-Blues Guitar - Guitar Educational - Book & CD Package - 695608 - $19.95

Blues You Can Use - Spanish Edition - Stylistic Method - Book & CD Package - 695276 - $19.95

CLICK HERE FOR MORE FROM HAL LEONARD

Say, if you can’t find what you want from a retail store, check used and online stores, including ebay and such. I think Mel Bay has some good Blues stuff too. Other publisher’s I casually know of are, Cherry Lane and Warner Brothers. Also, that book/CD link lazybones offered has to be great too, I have a “rock and roll” one of that same book series, and it’s excellent.
    ;)

2. AngusRocks90

AngusRocks90 Member

Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Guns 'N Roses is a great Blues/Rock song if you want to learn the solos.

3. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Great suggestion AngusRocks90! I like it when blues and rock come together like that.

4. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Me too, I just can't stand it when Axel Rose sings :lol: (no offence to anyone)

5. 1Way

1Way Active Member

knock knock
    knocking on heaven's door

hey
    hey
    hey hey
    hey

don’t cha
    knock knock
    knocking my singing no more

hey
    hey
    hey hey
    hey

Now, how do I make em look all wavy from excessive vibrato...
    ;)

6. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Uh oh, he's got that "I've got a great idea" look in his eyes again! :lol:

I’m beginning to consider starting a blues guitarist support group mostly for blues (and blues or classic rock) guitarists who want to improve their playing, and I’d like your input. Until I get settled into a new job and place to live, I doubt I'll be doing much with this. Yet at the same time, whenever I do have time, it would be a very welcome relief and likely great fun to share in the learning/growing experiences.

I’m not sure where this would go. I don’t want it to get real big or out of hand, yet I think it would be cool if more than just a few participated. Let me know if you’re interested, and I welcome your comments and suggestions!

7. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

1 Way, I do a version of Knockin that is our style and a cross between G N R and Dylan....... have a lot of fun with it. And it's a great song because based on your mood, you can swing the style from blues to lite rock.............! 8) 8) 8)

(And 1 Way, come on down to our show at the Downtown Grounds in Syracuse next month and we'll do it for you...... it's the 17th & 18th...................)

8. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Six String, Great! I am there!

9. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Anyone have recomendations for free hosting for multimedia files? I'm thinking mostly about sound files, but maybe some video too. I have an account in photobucket, but want more... :roll:

10. If You Want Blood

If You Want Blood Active Member

11. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Alright! Thank you. O0

12. pingdum

pingdum Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=5095.msg86164#msg86164 date=1140054655]
    Me too, I just can't stand it when Axel Rose sings :lol: (no offence to anyone)
    [/quote]
    Did ya ever notice how much he sounds like Ethel Merman?

13. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

[quote author=vic108 link=topic=5095.msg77892#msg77892 date=1137162821]

You wanna learn to play the blues?

Let my ex move in with you...   ;D

[/quote]

She let you play?? :o

14. 1Way

1Way Active Member

No interest shown yet in a blues/rock player's group to help brake thru growth progress barriers. I didn't think that people are normally this shy.

What would make you more interested in participating in a blues/rock guitar improvement group?

People are signing up, the forum is nearly ready for use!

15. muzak

muzak Member

i'd do it. i know most theory. i understand it anyways, but have trouble when i try to explain it to people is the problem. are you thinking of putting together a web page or what?

16. 1Way

1Way Active Member

17. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

Sorry for reviving an old dead warn out thread, but I got to say the on an sg rocks. It totally does and you got to play with a slide if you want to be a true blues man.