requisite introduction thread.

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by nelsonM, Apr 5, 2007.

1. nelsonM

nelsonM Member

Hey there :)

I'm not a Guitar player (yet) or even a stringed instrument player for that matter. (I'm a Drummer)

I've wanted to lean how to play guitar for a few years now, and recently had my interest renewed enough to decide to buy a guitar. It happened while sitting with two of my band mates (rhythm and lead guitars) waiting for our bass player to call in and cancel his appearance (with a perfectly acceptable reason). I picked up a Fender Balboa Acoustic/Electric (not sure of the spelling -- can't find a picture on google either) and started making some terrible noise while trying to figure out what a chord was.

Apparently that was enough to prompt an impromptu guitar lesson from the resident string pickers. I must say, that was the fastest four hours I've experienced in quite a while Not only did I get to play with the 6-string acoustic, but I also played around with an 1980 Washburn Falcon (Apparently it's a heavy guitar... but I don't really know about that kind of thing), as well as a 12-string acoustic guitar of un-remembered make/Model.

After the lesson my un-calloused fingers were quite tender, but I kept on reaching for a guitar... That's when I informed my band mates of my decision to seriously learn the instrument. I think it will allow me to explore different angles and ideas in music, and tremendously help my overall knowledge of how music 'works,' which in turn will help me become a better drummer.

I recall most of what I was taught, but a single lesson fades quickly without practice. I recall doing a 'movable blues'? scale and a 'simple minor pentatonic' though I have no clue what that means yet. as well as moving four different barre chord shapes up and down the neck. I referred to my experience as a 'lesson,' that was probably a misnomer It was mostly the rhythm player trying to show me how to 'play this song' while the lead player tried to explain that 'up' means towards the floor -- with occasional actual knowledge thrown into the mix.

It was certainly entertaining! :D

After many hours on the internet, reading reviews, looking at pictures and listening to sound bytes and songs. I've decided that my first guitar is going to be an SG (of some sort).
    I can hardly wait until Monday when I can get to the city and the Music stores to start trying on guitars!

2. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

Sounds like some big steps!
    Congrats!

Welcome to ETSG, there's alot to be learned here.

If I could whisper in your ear, I would say get the SG '61 if you can afford it.
    You may find other guitars you prefer later, but the 61 is a quality instrument that will always be in demand. The slender neck profile might be a good thing for a beginner, too.

Good luck!

Neo

3. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

nelsonM - for Muntz? HaHa! (One for the Simpsons fans there. ;))

Welcome to the club. Hey we can forgive you for being a drummer now you've decided to get a guitar, and an SG at that. ;D

4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG nelsonM! :) :) :)

5. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Welcome !

6. Wags

Wags New Member

Welcome to ETSG Nelson!!  WOW!  That was an awesome introduction!

Have fun shopping on Monday....and don't forget to post
    pix when you get her home!   ;)

7. nelsonM

nelsonM Member

Thanks folks :)
    Pictures will be forthcoming.

The closer I get to (tomorrow!) the more excited I'm getting.

plus I had another marathon "lesson" last night!

8. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Nothin wrong with being a drummer.....That's what I started on! Oh, and Welcome!!