Rescuing an early 70's SG Special. With a nasty head stock break...

58pit

Reaction score
Pretty scary stuff. Had a very Low investment. Came out NICE! Another MONSTER back in play. Dowels installed in the holes, those mini humbuckers from the early 70's just are incredible. It actually scared the crap out of me, but was worth a try! Before and after pics follow. It's a KEEPER! Plays like a dream!

58pit

Reaction score
Pretty scary stuff. Had a very Low investment. Came out NICE! Another MONSTER back in play. Dowels installed in the holes, those mini humbuckers from the early 70's just are incredible. It actually scared the crap out of me, but was worth a try! Before and after pics follow. It's a KEEPER! Plays like a dream!
DSCN9626_zpsciuievgr.jpg

DSCN9472_zps73v6menu.jpg

DSCN9468_zpskbb0ffqa.jpg

DSCN9615_zpsevqnhzip.jpg

DSCN9625_zpsesergu6n.jpg

DSCN9603_zpsvqd8a7y1.jpg

Last edited:

drown

Reaction score
I have to ask. Did you do the work yourself or take it somewhere? Either way looks awesome. Congrats!!! And if DIY that's very handy work.

Last edited:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
You're a lucky man! The repair looks great.

That style of Special was not introduced until 1973 though. The block inlays came in around '74 and by '75 the bridge was no longer a Harmonica, so I'd call that a 1974 Special. ;)

58pit

Reaction score
You're a lucky man! The repair looks great.

That style of Special was not introduced until 1973 though. The block inlays came in around '74 and by '75 the bridge was no longer a Harmonica, so I'd call that a 1974 Special. ;)
I called Gibson, read the number, they said 71-72, now way to know for sure.but the pots date 73

58pit

Reaction score
I have to ask. Did you do the work yourself or take it somewhere? Either way looks awesome. Congrats!!! And if DIY that's very handy work.
All by my self!

Wildeman

Reaction score
Hell yes! I loves me Norlin SG, i was just rippin on it minutes ago. Good job and GREAT Score.

58pit

Reaction score
Fortunately the original headstock logo was saved, my biggest worry.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Well, you turned something that was sold for $5 at a garage sale
into something fine, something that's a piece of history and also
something that plays music.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I called Gibson, read the number, they said 71-72, now way to know for sure.but the pots date 73

Serial numbers are notoriously unreliable from back then. Like I said, that model simply didn't exist yet in 71 through mid-72. Pots give us the best idea. After "73" on the pots, they should have two more numbers that denote what week of the year they were made. Then, you have to account for the fact that pots are not installed immediately, they're made in big batches that can take a while to get through. I've seen guitars with pots dated nearly a year before the introduction of features that are present on the body.

With that said, I'd call it a late '73 or early '74 then.

VetPsychWars

Reaction score
You did a terrific job! My cherry SG was bought stripped from eBay with a repaired break about the same place, and all it took was a little sanding and polishing of the joint area and it's nearly invisible now. Since the glue is stronger than the wood, I have to fear that the repair won't last.

Tom

Latest posts