Resetting neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Darryl Fisher, Jul 29, 2020 at 1:42 PM.

1. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher New Member

Hey, there!
    My family bestowed upon me an SG kit from StewMac. It's the one in my avatar..
    In attaching the neck, thoroughly checking to make sure it's straight, was surprised to find out the neck had shifted, tight as the clamps wete.
    I have run across many YouTube videos, most of them dealing with acoustics...
    I was wondering what you recommend for the SG. And can I merely soften the glue, reset and let dry?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Depends on the glue. If it is hide glue you can soften it with heat. Other glues, not so much.

3. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher New Member

Titebond Original, as prescribed by the instructions, Don...heat gun?
    My neighbor loaned me his and on low setting the tenon started turning dark...

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Heat should soften it. But don't use a fierce heat that chars the wood. Moderate heat will do, but it needs to be there for a long time to penetrate the joint.

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

If you have electric baseboards in the house, it could do the trick.

6. RW59

RW59 Member

Pulling the neck might mess with the fretboard. If it's already fretted it might mess with the fretwork.

How far off is it? If not too far, plugging the bridge and tailpiece holes and redrilling them to align with the neck could be easier and safer.

7. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

steam and heat. without the steam you're going to get LUCKY to avoid tear out.

Jezclayton likes this.
  8. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher New Member

To All:
    radiator heat...buuut, not going to turn them on now, all do respect... great idea for winter work .
    Plugging/re-drill seams feasible...got a Flying V kit coming... wasn't looking close enough when I ordered it...no holes...
    Thanks for the "up" on the possible fingerboard issue...
    How far off is it? I did s test fit with tuners, strings, tailpiece and bridge (no studs). The bass E is very close to the edge at the 12th fret, falling off, higher up.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 11:46 AM
  9. Jezclayton

Jezclayton Member

As Norton says. You need steam which means drilling into the neck joint to allow the steam to penetrate and only then will it release. There are any number of articles on YouTube showing you how to do it, but you might want to ask a Luthier how much he would charge first. Most are cheaper than you might think since the job's easy with the right equipment and know-how but a nightmare and instrument destroying if you don't know what you're doing.

10. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

That’s a great idea! Just pay to get the neck removed. Shouldn’t cost much at all. $75?