Restoration Project Help

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by MacDiarmada, Mar 7, 2021.

1. MacDiarmada

MacDiarmada New Member

I am restoring my 91 3-knob special and CANNOT find a prewired kit for it. One thought was to get a kit for an Explorer or Flying V as they are also 2 pickup and 3 knob configuration. And I still might do that, but I figured I would check here to see if anybody with a 3-knob would be so gracious as to post a well detailed close-up of their control cavity. I’m pretty good with a soldering iron and if I see what it looks like as it was from the factory, I can buy the individual parts and solder it myself with no problem. Thanks for the help!!

JH1968 likes this.
  2. JH1968

JH1968 New Member

There are a few sellers on Reverb that sell pre-wired harnesses. Most of them will take special orders.

3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

4. MacDiarmada

MacDiarmada New Member

Here’s another issue I’ve encountered during my resto, the bridge. I lost ALL the original parts that came off it, I’m starting with a completely stripped, bare wood body. Even the half moon washer and nut for the truss rod is gone! Anyway... the question about the bridge is, ABR-1 or Nashville? I know the difference between the two, but it seems my special had a cross between the two. It had the one piece posts like the Nashville, but also had the wire retainer like the ABR-1. I never liked the wire because I could here it making noise, however, I want my guitar restored to 100% stock. Some might say that the bridge or posts were switch after it left the factory, but I bought it new back in 1991. It was made 14 May and I bought it 1 July, still have the original sales receipt! I paid $600 for it from the Guitar Center in Hollywood. So, any Gibson bridge experts, I’d like to hear your opinions, THANKS!