Returning with a message...

74 Jailbreak

Reaction score
Note: All that follows is purely opinion, sans the first two intro paragraphs, which, I assume, would be what we call "fact".

Hey all,

It's been forever since I've posted here. Death of a few family members plus an intense school year have practically ended any life I have had recently. In addition, my severe injuring and re-injuring of my Ulnar Collateral and Annular ligaments in my right elbow also played a huge role in the recent events of my life. I feel that I have come through stronger and more mature, and with a more adult perspective on life, even if I don't feel I'm quite old enough for it yet.

All these emotions and my lack of use in my picking arm really broadened my musical horizons. I began learning simpler, more melodic music, like Iron and Wine, the clean songs by Opeth, and even some Dylan, in stark contrast to the Protest The Hero, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon and Lamb of God that used to be part of my daily routine. I wouldn't say that I abandoned my metal roots, but rather branched them out. Through listening to all the different genres, however, I have come to a startling realization about the insane types of metal I used to call home.

Metal must die.

Hear me out here. The past decade, the teenage years of my life, have been the most amazing period in metal's history. It became acceptable to bang your head, throw horns, and mosh to whatever was shaking the sound system around your house. Mostly gone are the days of wearing black in school automatically advertising a person as an "emo" or "outcast". The amount of subgenres has become dizzying: Mathcore, Deathcore, Grindcore, Heavy Metal, Hair Metal, Old School Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Melodic/Technical/Symphonic/Swedish Death Metal, Alternative Metal and Prog-Metal just to name a very select few (And yes, I do realize that some of these aren't new, but they are included to prove a point.) The number of bands the average metalhead listens to has grown exponentially, and metal has become so diverse that some fans don't even know that other subgenres exist. Metal has reached it's pinnacle.

And that is why it must die. Metal has reached the point where it is almost mainstream. When a type of music becomes popular, the number of musicians playing it multiplies. When they feed off of one another, the genre begins to consume itself. Almost every metal band that has "-core" in the genre now uses and abuses breakdowns. The screaming style of vocals hasn't seen any growth or improvement in a while. Metal guitar tone remains the same general formula of "heavy no matter the harmonic cost" in most situations. Bands have hit Drop F# tuning. How much lower must we go in pursuit of heaviness? And I swear, every single variation on every single chord has been used in every possible context by the technical and progressive bands of the modern metal scene. In nearly all regards, save a few bands in each subgenre, the creativity is gone and dead.

So, what can it do but implode? If metal becomes overinflated with cookiecutter bands using the same ideas and not looking around and creating new musical ideas, fans will catch on. They will leave en masse once they start becoming bored with the bands they listen to. Until bands stop trying to play faster, heavier, slower, lower, or more technically than the last in their genre, metal will be nothing more than a self-indulgent sellout.

However, if metal does fall apart, then there is no doubt that the pioneers of a new dawn of heavy music will step forward. The same thing happened in the 80's, when hair metal reigned supreme. It became so self-consuming and pompous that it was stale and boring, and the innovative bands of the late 80's and early 90's stepped up to fill the hole in metal's soul.

Maybe I should rephrase my point. Metal does not need to die as much as it needs to evolve. The watered down, more commercial subgenres will be first, falling into the bargin bin of next decade's CD stores with the Wingers and Whitesnakes of yesteryear (No offense to fans of those bands. First names that came to my head.) The truly important bands will continue on their musical exploration, and a new age of metallic innovation will be spawned.

We have reached the point of no return on this decade's metal, though. Fitting, seeing as we are about to enter the 2010's. Support the future of our heavy music, and don't let metal consume itself into nothingness. We shall persevere, and we shall emerge stronger and more apt to conquer the music world of tomorrow.

A merry Christmas to all, Happy Holiday cheer, much love from 74 Jailbreak, and a Happy New Year!

Six String

Staff Member
Reaction score
Welcome back 74 Jailbreak! Good to hear from you.

And to your observations of metal, I would have to say that metal will go no more or less the way of many of the musics that preceded it. It isn't that it will be gone, just re-engineered into the evolving process that music has always done.

The "cookiecutters" may be forgotten, but the true heart and soul will never die..... as the true origins of the music that has been will always be there to feed the next generation. It is a process that will always be.

suicidehummer

Reaction score
I think it's all a cycle, and real hard rock is returning. Bands like Airbourne, The Darkness, and Hot Leg show this IMHO.

I don't pay much attention to metal for most of the reasons you stated, the guitar tone is all the same "Heavy as possible with no regard to tone". However catchy licks and riffs will never die.

Laney1566

Reaction score
I've never cared for speed and thrash or the like. I am a metal purist, which is to say "Vocals that can be heard...RIffs that make your head bang (or at least bob)...and bass and drums that can alter your heartbeat.
Yes I am stuck in the 80's. Ozzy, Dio, Priest, Scorpians etc etc. I do go back to the 70's though with hard rock.
Good guitar is good guitar...Period. There are an infinite number of riffs ready to be revealed. True music comes from the soul and everybody is different. Yes there is much repetition out there because of many great guitar (Players) and so few great (Songwriters). The kids nowdays are going back and discovering these older groups. That's why we have seen a resurgance of classic artists getting back together and touring. The only thing hurting metal is the recording industry.
Screw em......and keep on rocking!!

dbb

Reaction score
Any musical style must both evolve to live and stay relevant, but has to stay true to its roots to remain real. Metal, like many other musical genres, has gotten to that point a couple of times....my love is the oldest proto-metal forms, late 60's hard rock and the first "heavy" bands.
I remember when the hardrock/heavy metal bands used an ORGAN! think Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf and of course Deep Purple. Even Zep used a lot of keyboards. then metal moved to the 2 guitar sound and has stayed there since.
I found the 80's metal bands pretty dull, compared to the earlier bands, and the relentless pursuit of sheer heavyness is often anti-musical to me - not to mention the horrible sound to my ears of the gutteral deathmetal vocals.
Yes, good guitar is good guitar, period. But guitars alone are often just not enough...bring back the organ in metal!

suicidehummer

Reaction score
Deep Purple made it work but I doubt anybody could nowadays...

But I disagree about your first statement. AC/DC had not changed one iota and has stuck it out for over 30 continuous years, and still sells more albums and tickets than any modern fad band.

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=20087.msg242960#msg242960 date=1260910362]
Deep Purple made it work but I doubt anybody could nowadays...

But I disagree about your first statement. AC/DC had not changed one iota and has stuck it out for over 30 continuous years, and still sells more albums and tickets than any modern fad band.
[/quote]

Sometimes a single classic band has a sound and is smart enough to stick to it!
I was of course referring to generalities and of course there are always exceptions; I guess as I am not a big AC/DC fan, they slipped my mind.

They have a "brand" and as you say are still popular; more points to Angus et al.

I'm sure there are some other guys that could make the organ/guitar sound work again. Where are they?

dbb

Reaction score
Hey, I LOVE that organ sound, and am also a lover of that style of music. Booker T, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, and the drummer, what a great band!

Actually that jazzy Jimmy Smith B-3 sound pops up in proto-metal too...think "Sweet Child in Time" for example. But I was really thinking of the more distorted Steppenwolf/Deep Purple sound.

Plus I love that Keith Emerson sound too.

Actually I love organ enough that I learned to play keys along the way, and still have a real Hammond M-3 and Leslie in my studio.

iblive

Reaction score
And let's not forget Ray Manzarek from the Doors.

[quote author=dbb link=topic=20087.msg242969#msg242969 date=1260914054]
Plus I love that Keith Emerson sound too.
[/quote]
I had the privilege of seeing ELP when they were no longer filling stadiums. Saw them in a little intimate theater of about 2500 seats in Davenport Iowa. One of the best concerts I have ever been to. Emerson makes other keyboard players seem like amateurs.
[quote author=dbb link=topic=20087.msg242969#msg242969 date=1260914054]
Actually I love organ enough that I learned to play keys along the way, and still have a real Hammond M-3 and Leslie in my studio.
[/quote]
Ok.... that's just plain cool!
--------------------------
But back to the subject. I've never been a huge fan of metal. I'm a little more old school rock and acoustic.... think Who, Rush, CSN, etc. Yes metal has evolved. Music is ever changing and always will be. If I'm remembering my history right, Mozart had some issues when he first burst on the scene. You do realize that in another 20 years, death metal will be getting played on the "oldies" station.

suicidehummer

Reaction score
These guys have the idea (they may dress glam-rock-y but they're really hard rock, think Queen):

Hot Leg - Cocktails
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLthJnrdEY[/youtube]

You may recognize the sound though from the lead singer's previous band The Darkness who had a huge hit with "I Believe In A Thing Called Love"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU[/youtube]

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=iblive link=topic=20087.msg242983#msg242983 date=1260935912]
And let's not forget Ray Manzarek from the Doors.
I had the privilege of seeing ELP when they were no longer filling stadiums. Saw them in a little intimate theater of about 2500 seats in Davenport Iowa. One of the best concerts I have ever been to. Emerson makes other keyboard players seem like amateurs.Ok.... that's just plain cool!

[/quote]

I can never forget Ray, but I just didn't put the doors in that proto-metal category.
I say ELP in the late 70's...I know what you mean, Emerson was playing stuff that other keyboard players would be sweating bullets doing, and he's chompin' chewing gum and looks like he can play the most ungodly licks in his sleep.

Also, thanks for the video posts...nice to see bands I do not know about, so I can learn.

mdubya

Reaction score
Wolfmother is a modern band that does some pretty heavy organ riffing. They may not be everyone's cup o' tea, but they are doing something interesting and different.

retro-proto-metal IMO.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzqTz_i1NXQ[/youtube]

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I liked wolfmother but thought they broke up a couple years ago?

Rendus

Reaction score
New album out:

wolfmother-cosmic-egg-album-cover-non-standard.jpg

oldrockfan

Reaction score
so is it all the same members then or did that main guy build a new band? I thought the other guys got pissed off at him and all went off to start another band.

Zeppelin Rules

Reaction score
Personally I've moved away from metal and have been listening to more jazzy stuff, but that's not to say that I dont' enjoy it still.

Oh and 74, the new Meshuggah album is actually tuned to F, not F#, apparently it wasn't low enough for them, so they tuned their 8 strings down a half step ;D

I've always found that all the mainstream "core" bands sounded incredibly derivative and non-musical. I remember seeing Job For A Cowboy, when they opened for Megadeth, and it sounded like a wall of downtuned muck.

That said there have been some good metal bands in recent years. I'm still a huge fan of Lamb of God, who put on a great show when I saw them a couple of months back, and I've seen Children of Bodom 3 times now and each time has been better than the last, speaking of bands that use keyboards.

[youtube]GoRqAQqpz50[/youtube]

The vocals may be a bit much, but I find Bodom is consistently able to incorporate catchy and interesting melodies in their music. Their keyboard player is hilarious too, when I saw them, was continually going offstage mid-song for more beer, and on the current tour his keyboard rig was covered in bras.

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=mdubya link=topic=20087.msg242991#msg242991 date=1260983985]
Wolfmother is a modern band that does some pretty heavy organ riffing. They may not be everyone's cup o' tea, but they are doing something interesting and different.

retro-proto-metal IMO

[/quote]

A big thanks for posting this, mdubya, I really appreciate hearing new music that has some of what I'm looking for in rock. Nice vibe, a little bit Zep, a little bit Deep Purple? I also love the Rick bass...but did I miss the organ player in the video? Do one of the visible trio play organ in the studio?

Glad to hear they are touring, too.

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=20087.msg242997#msg242997 date=1261002332]
Oh and 74, the new Meshuggah album is actually tuned to F, not F#, apparently it wasn't low enough for them, so they tuned their 8 strings down a half step ;D
(cut)
That said there have been some good metal bands in recent years. ....and I've seen Children of Bodom 3 times now and each time has been better than the last, speaking of bands that use keyboards.

The vocals may be a bit much, but I find Bodom is consistently able to incorporate catchy and interesting melodies in their music. Their keyboard player is hilarious too, when I saw them, was continually going offstage mid-song for more beer, and on the current tour his keyboard rig was covered in bras.
[/quote]

Another thanks! These guys are interesting...screaming "wanna hear more f*cking heavy metal?" over a new-agey airy keyboard patch, then the guitars come in! Vocals are not exactly my thing, but then again I wonder if the gutteral style came about because it's so hard to find old-style metal boy soprano screamers.

Meshuggah is now tuned down a major 7th? 8strings or 8 courses? However it is, that's "crazy". :D
So the guitar player is one step off from a 4 string bass's low note? I'm confused ???

Latest posts