"Rhythm/Treble" Anybody Else Annoyed By This?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Kevy Nova, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

OK, I realize that this is petty bickering at it's worst but I have to get this off my chest.

I have always been bothered by the fact that the Gibson switch rings say "Rhythm/Treble." First of all, those are two completely separate things that do not go together. It would be one thing if it said "Rhythm/Lead" or "Bass/Treble" but as it is, it's just stupid. But that leads me to my next complaint; I use the neck pickup for lead most of the time (as do a lot of other guitarists) so who are they to tell me which pickup to use for rhythm or lead playing?

If it were up to me, it would say "Neck/Bridge" or better yet, nothing at all.

Am I alone here?

MRBIG likes this.
  2. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I can't read upside down so I just go with UP and DOWN. :)

3. Kevy Nova

[quote author=iblive link=topic=21435.msg257187#msg257187 date=1298580484]
    I can't read upside down so I just go with UP and DOWN. :)
    [/quote]
    ;D

4. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=21435.msg257180#msg257180 date=1298578998]
    OK, I realize that this is petty bickering at it's worst but I have to get this off my chest.

I have always been bothered by the fact that the Gibson switch rings say "Rhythm/Treble." First of all, those are two completely separate things that do not go together. It would be one thing if it said "Rhythm/Lead" or "Bass/Treble" but as it is, it's just stupid. But that leads me to my next complaint; I use the neck pickup for lead most of the time (as do a lot of other guitarists) so who are they to tell me which pickup to use for rhythm or lead playing?

If it were up to me, it would say "Neck/Bridge" or better yet, nothing at all.

Am I alone here?
    [/quote]

flip the ring over to show the blank side, leave it off or get a custom one with 'correct' semantics... and stop complaining.

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I too noticed the discrepancy; and like you I play a lot of "lead" on the neck pickup (why I don't play Jr's) but after all the guitar world also calls pickups "front" and "back" which makes no sense to me.

Note that we guitarists also refer to a pitch-bending bridge as a "tremolo" which of course is technically a variation in volume; it should be a vibrato as this does refer to pitch.

We also have those tapered pots on most things that make the numbers meaningless.

6. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=21435.msg257196#msg257196 date=1298581834]
    We also have those tapered pots on most things that make the numbers meaningless.
    [/quote]

Hey.... my pots are tapered too. What a coincidence.... Oh wait a minute.... you're talking about guitars aren't you. :oops:

7. Kevy Nova

[quote author=sneakerpimp link=topic=21435.msg257191#msg257191 date=1298580862]
    flip the ring over to show the blank side, leave it off or get a custom one with 'correct' semantics... and stop complaining.
    [/quote]

If you flip it over, there are marks from the manufacturing process.
    If you leave it off, it looks too weird.
    I gotten custom ones but they are expensive, especially if you have a lot of guitars.
    I've also removed the words with nail polish remover but it leaves the plastic dull.
    If I want to voice a minor annoyance for fun, I can. It's a free country. :p

8. uyasgali

uyasgali Member

I don't even think about it. Some of my Gibsons have the ring and some don't. I know what the switch does so that is good enough for me. My amp has tremolo but they call it vibrato for some reason.

9. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Funny, mine just say Loud and Louder. :roll:

10. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=21435.msg257199#msg257199 date=1298582550]
    If you flip it over, there are marks from the manufacturing process.
    If you leave it off, it looks too weird.
    I gotten custom ones but they are expensive, especially if you have a lot of guitars.
    I've also removed the words with nail polish remover but it leaves the plastic dull.
    If I want to voice a minor annoyance for fun, I can. It's a free country. :p
    [/quote]

i keed, i keed ;)

blanks would work too and won't break the bank.

actually i really like the idea of a custom, you could do Love/Hate, etc, there's a million dichotomies.

on a side note, i always wondered why the switch goes up/down while the pickups are left/right.

11. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

When I first started playing, I thought that it was illegal and immoral to use the neck pickup for anything but rhythm, and to play rhythm on anything but the rhythm pickup.

Personally I find it to be an expression of Gibson-ness and like it in that context.

12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=21435.msg257208#msg257208 date=1298591087]
    When I first started playing, I thought that it was illegal and immoral to use the neck pickup for anything but rhythm, and to play rhythm on anything but the rhythm pickup.

Personally I find it to be an expression of Gibson-ness and like it in that context.
    [/quote]

What did you do with the middle pickup on a Strat?

I too think it expresses that Gibson-ness weird take on things.

13. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=21435.msg257208#msg257208 date=1298591087]
    [/quote]

.... or that Fender doesn't use a plate thinking we're all smart enough to know what all 5 positions on a Strat does.

14. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

It doesn't really bother me but I do agree that rhythm and lead would make more sense.

15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=iblive link=topic=21435.msg257218#msg257218 date=1298597043]
    .... or that Fender doesn't use a plate thinking we're all smart enough to know what all 5 positions on a Strat does.
    [/quote]

When Fender made the Strat it only had a 3 position switch; the 5 position was a later mod that became part of the Fender line.

16. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=21435.msg257215#msg257215 date=1298593376]
    What did you do with the middle pickup on a Strat?

I too think it expresses that Gibson-ness weird take on things.
    [/quote]

I didn't really seem to think all that much about Strats when I first started playing.

I've since rectified the situation and now play mine more than my other guitars.

17. Kevy Nova

[quote author=sneakerpimp link=topic=21435.msg257205#msg257205 date=1298584555]
    i keed, i keed ;)
    on a side note, i always wondered why the switch goes up/down while the pickups are left/right.
    [/quote]

I know, I know.
    btw, I also angle my switches on my SG's to make them a little more Strat-like.

[quote author=iblive link=topic=21435.msg257218#msg257218 date=1298597043]
    [/quote]
    ;D

[quote author=uyasgali link=topic=21435.msg257201#msg257201 date=1298582779]
    I don't even think about it. Some of my Gibsons have the ring and some don't. I know what the switch does so that is good enough for me. My amp has tremolo but they call it vibrato for some reason.
    [/quote]
    Yeah, that bugs me too!

You guys have to understand, I suffer from CDO. (that's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but I like to keep it alphabetized)

18. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

plus one on the annoyance factor, I just didn't like having anything written on my SG. So
    I went down to the hardware store and bought four or five different big washers, couple made outa plastic, and one made outa bronze which i ended up liking a lot and it's on my guitar now. goes good with the 'worn brown' color, and doesn't say jack. the knobs on my faded are plain black, they don't say V or T. If you borrow my guitar, you hafta guess. the picture of my SG in the Gallery shows one of the other washers, painted black and chipped, which is why I went for the bronze.

I also liked the earlier idea about any two things being on there... yes/no, love/hate how 'bout Republican/Democrat... the middle pickup on yer Strat would be "maybe' ~( :^D
    or the 'Indie' pickup... *grins

19. Kevy Nova

[quote author=Col Mustard link=topic=21435.msg257259#msg257259 date=1298665120]
    plus one on the annoyance factor, I just didn't like having anything written on my SG. So
    I went down to the hardware store and bought four or five different big washers, couple made outa plastic, and one made outa bronze which i ended up liking a lot and it's on my guitar now. goes good with the 'worn brown' color, and doesn't say jack.
    [/quote]

Great idea! Looks like I'm making a trip to the hardware store...

Here are some other ideas:

"Happy/Sad"
    "Turned On/Turned Off"
    "Up/Down"
    "Erect/Flaccid"
    "Lennon/McCartney"
    "Over/Under"

Got any more?

20. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

true/false... edward/jacob... rain/shine... Marx/Lennon... tastes grt/less filling
    hmmm.... pos/neg... bet/fold... bud/pabst... today/tomorrow... on bus/off bus
    solution/problem... clean/dist... chorus/delay... baby/baby...

how about: neck/bridge